The Student Room Group

Uni life not for me

To make a long story short uni makes me miserable, it's not at all what i expected and i'm honestly only there because i'm scared to leave and have nothing else and because i feel like i'd be letting so many people down. Just wondered if theres anyone feeling the same? Or if there is anyone who has actually dropped out of uni and has any advice or really just anyone with general advice on what other options i have?

Ps. I'm half way into my second year so i really have tried hard to just get on with it but i cant stand it at all.

Any help would be amazing, thankyou in advance :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by Jennifer Neil
To make a long story short uni makes me miserable, it's not at all what i expected and i'm honestly only there because i'm scared to leave and have nothing else and because i feel like i'd be letting so many people down. Just wondered if theres anyone feeling the same? Or if there is anyone who has actually dropped out of uni and has any advice or really just anyone with general advice on what other options i have?

Ps. I'm half way into my second year so i really have tried hard to just get on with it but i cant stand it at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi I have been through this, although I was a new student in September Las year. The university itself were awful with timetabling and some of the labs I were in were overcrowded with not enough equipment or even enough sheets for all of us. I am so glad I have dropped out, after recovering from no sleep and the conditions my flat got into by living with nine other people I am sure I will do better somewhere else. I will miss Manchester though! I would talk to ucas If you want to carry on your studies or maybe you could carry on this year and transfer but its not worth it if you really hate it. Because I dropped out in first year finance wont be effected when I go to uni this September, however because your in second year you may have one year in your next university when you need to pay depending on circumstances.

Good luck
Reply 2
Original post by Jennifer Neil

Posted from TSR Mobile

You should be aware that if you drop out now, it might be very difficult for you to afford to do a degree in future.

Everyone has a fixed Student Finance entitlement for their lifetime. If you drop out during or after your second year, you will only have two years of full SF funding left. If you wanted to try a degree in the future, you would have to fund most of it yourself in the first year - including the tuition fees - with nothing more than a minimum Maintenance Loan. Full SF funding wouldn't kick in until the second and third years.
Forgot to ever look at this again after posting it... within 2 weeks of this post i had quit and within a month was accepted onto another course, im now half way into my first year on a college course and have never been happier and am doing so much better than i ever was at uni. I'll probably go back after my college course but at least this time ill be better prepared :smile: Thanks for the advice at the time even if its more than a year later lol!!

Quick Reply

Latest