The Student Room Group

Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2015!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yytan154
When did you apply if you don't mind me asking? Just wondering how long it is between applying and hearing back :smile: I just applied a while ago.

Applied: 13th December
Reference Request : 17th December
Interview Invite : 5th January
Anyone done the Hogan Lovells phone interview? If so, how did you find it? I'm a little nervous - first interview of any kind this cycle!
Original post by pasdesdeux
Anyone done the Hogan Lovells phone interview? If so, how did you find it? I'm a little nervous - first interview of any kind this cycle!

Yeah I have - it was fairly straightforward, if a little bit unsettling due to the interviewer's manner.

I got asked the standard questions (why commercial law?; why Hogan Lovells?) followed by some competency questions. I don't remember all the competencies I was asked about, but one was definitely "overcoming obstacles", which I found a bit tricky. Finally they tested commercial awareness with a question about current affairs - mine was regarding the Ukraine crisis.

All the best and let me know if you have any further questions - I'll do my best to help :smile:
Macfarlanes only offered me one available assessment day slot and I can't do that day. Will have to call them tomorrow.
Interview invite from Shearman & Sterling for anyone tracking application updates

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KatieRosePicknel
Interview invite from Shearman & Sterling for anyone tracking application updates

Posted from TSR Mobile

When did you apply? :smile:
Original post by ChoccyWoccy
When did you apply? :smile:

2nd Jan

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KatieRosePicknel

Hmm really taking their time to get back to me
Macfarlanes only offered me one available assessment day slot and I can't do that day. Will have to call them tomorrow.

Wow, smashing it with the interviews at the moment!

Well done on the assessment day :smile: can I ask when you applied and when you heard? I haven't applied yet because waiting for an event I'm attending there but have my application ready to send after speaking to HR at the event.
Original post by Kidioteque
Wow, smashing it with the interviews at the moment!

Thanks! I'm really pleased, one rejection and five interviews, although have realised I will be spending a lot of time in London and not doing work :tongue:
Original post by TrainingChopeful
Well done on the assessment day :smile: can I ask when you applied and when you heard? I haven't applied yet because waiting for an event I'm attending there but have my application ready to send after speaking to HR at the event.

Applied 22nd Dec, heard today :smile:
Thanks! I'm really pleased, one rejection and five interviews, although have realised I will be spending a lot of time in London and not doing work :tongue:

That is quite some record, how many have you applied to?
Applied 22nd Dec, heard today :smile:

Thank you! Best of luck! Let me know how you find it :smile:
I've completed a vacation scheme with CC and had a TC AC. I'm more than happy to talk about my experiences if anybody wants to PM me.
Well done on the interview invite!

Quick question chaps, I am working on the Bird & Bird application. Their two questions are:

1) Why do you think you'll be a successful commercial lawyer?
2) How Bird & Bird are you?

Now to me both these seem to be asking my competencies (ie teamwork, inquisitive, etc..). I am not really sure how I would answer both without repeating myself, especially given they give a 400 word allowance. Any tips?
Original post by ScroogeHumbug
Well done on the interview invite!

Quick question chaps, I am working on the Bird & Bird application. Their two questions are:

1) Why do you think you'll be a successful commercial lawyer?
2) How Bird & Bird are you?

Now to me both these seem to be asking my competencies (ie teamwork, inquisitive, etc..). I am not really sure how I would answer both without repeating myself, especially given they give a 400 word allowance. Any tips?

I'd interpret the first question as asking for a more general overview of the skills that would make you a good fit for any commercial law firm (teamwork, communication skills, problem solving, commercial awareness, etc).

The second question seems to be asking why you'd suit Bird & Bird specifically. They're a firm that comes across as quite quirky, so perhaps consider some of the things that are unique about them and talk about how you are aligned to those quirks.

I could be completely wrong, but that's how I'd approach it I think.
Original post by J-SP
I can't see that taking 3 days and there's a danger you over prepare/rehearse your answers.

Yes have a think about where/when you have really tested or developed those competencies, but if this results in your writing down scripts of what you are saying you are going OTT and trust me, it won't go well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah cool, are firms inclined to only ask about about the key competencies that they state they actively look for or can they ask about absolutely anything?

Also, preparing for case study interviews isn't particularly recommended right?

Thanks for all the advice so far! (:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kidioteque
I'd interpret the first question as asking for a more general overview of the skills that would make you a good fit for any commercial law firm (teamwork, communication skills, problem solving, commercial awareness, etc).

The second question seems to be asking why you'd suit Bird & Bird specifically. They're a firm that comes across as quite quirky, so perhaps consider some of the things that are unique about them and talk about how you are aligned to those quirks.

I could be completely wrong, but that's how I'd approach it I think.

Thank you! It is always excellent to get an alternative perspective :smile:
Actually really nervous about competency questions, they seem so artificial :woo:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending