Scroll to see replies

Original post by fluteflute
Yay, always glad to hear of UNIQ successes :biggrin:

All of my group of friends from UNIQ got in! 7 of us :smile:
Original post by neowinx
Course: PPE
College: Oriel
Outcome: Conditional AAA
How you feel: It seems surreal. I decided to apply only at the end of Sept and thought I had no chance. I'm an international student though and Oxford is really expensive :frown: If I can't secure funding I will have to say goodbye to this amazing opportunity :frown: I would be devastated if it comes to that.

You should definitely talk to the university. They have a lot of funding and I think I read something once like they will never let a student leave for financial reasons? So it's worth a go :smile:
Original post by Caitlan
Subject: Law
College: Magdalen
Outcome: Offer
Conditions: AAA
How did you hear? (email/letter/phone/owl): Letter
How do you feel? There is not a word in the English language that could accurately express my emotions right now.
Country/Hometown: Wales (Newport)

Ive got an offer from Hertford for Biochemistry, I'm from Caldicot!
Original post by Noble.
:facepalm:

I wish people would stop writing articles about things they openly admit they have no real understanding of.

chilllllll
Original post by troodon
You should definitely talk to the university. They have a lot of funding and I think I read something once like they will never let a student leave for financial reasons? So it's worth a go :smile:

Unfortunately for international students the picture is not so rosy :frown:
Unfortunately for international students the picture is not so rosy :frown:

Oh sorry that's a shame :frown:
Reply 146
Medicine, but the accelerated course how about you?
Original post by troodon

I'm pretty sure that unless Singaporean, most internationals will pretty much have to pay, at least some, out of their own pocket.

Original post by troodon
chilllllll

No.
Original post by SeaweedBrain
You're right, but he had had a particularly awful time of it and was there for 5/6 days waiting around, hence was quite bitter. I had forgotten that he'd mentioned that, but all the same, it seems unfair to an applicant that one should be put at the mercy of the university for such a long time, hence one will quite rightly begin to question the complexities of such a system.
I'm pretty sympathetic to what he's saying, but think I'd be more sympathetic if he hadn't written about it in a local newspaper :tongue:

Original post by SeaweedBrain
I had a sneaking suspicion! Now I'm slightly starstruck cause you're basically a TSR god :s-smilie:
I'm not that special you know...
I'm pretty sympathetic to what he's saying, but think I'd be more sympathetic if he hadn't written about it in a local newspaper :tongue:

I'm not that special you know...

To be fair to him, he wasn't too keen on it being published, but I get you :P
Does being in the prospectus not make you special?

Posted from TSR Mobile
This offer just refuses to sink in, Whenever I tell someone I think "S**t what have I done? what if I haven't really got an offer and this all just a dream?!?!?!"
I go to a state school where, despite the masses of intelligent students we produce, oxbridge offers are just so rare. My heads of sixth form were so happy I got hugs and high fives and hand shakes from them all morning haha, feels good to have made so many people happy and proud.
At least four people from my school now have Oxford offers which is pretty impressive (double last year's number I think) for a comprehensive! We don't usually get so many, particularly not in the sciences.
(edited 9 years ago)
15 offer holders in my year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Noble.
Yes I read it. It wasn't entirely about his experience and feelings; he seems to be under the impression Oxford likes having to accommodate applicants for 4 days and that Oxford makes no attempt at streamlining the process.

I read that article and I was a bit thrown by the ~nobody ever questions the slow interview system~? People seem to complain about the time spent waiting around quite often and Oxford are very aware that it's not always easy for their candidates to spend several days around there? At my college, at least, they kept apologising to us about it, and were trying to sort out who could go home and who had to stay as quickly as possible. It's obvious that it's a very complicated system but it's not like Oxford tutors revel in keeping the candidates hanging.
Hello! I have an open offer from Queens for Medicine :biggrin: I'm still in amazement/ disbelief - I was worried about even getting an offer for Medicine, let alone from Oxford for Medicine!!
I'm a little confused about my offer though, I got interviewed at Brasenose, where I applied, and Exeter - but Brasenose have written a letter saying Queens is making an open offer - however haven't heard anything from Queens? I'm absolutely over the moon Queens college liked me because it's a lovely college... but I'm still confused haha :smile:
Oh also I was in UNIQ week 2 (for Chemistry) woo go UNIQ
CONGRATS EVERYONE!!!!!
Original post by mnina19
I read that article and I was a bit thrown by the ~nobody ever questions the slow interview system~? People seem to complain about the time spent waiting around quite often and Oxford are very aware that it's not always easy for their candidates to spend several days around there? At my college, at least, they kept apologising to us about it, and were trying to sort out who could go home and who had to stay as quickly as possible. It's obvious that it's a very complicated system but it's not like Oxford tutors revel in keeping the candidates hanging.

What article is this?
Original post by mnina19

It kinda came across like Oxford was this malicious being going "we're keeping you here because we can! Muahahahahahahaha" which is pretty far from the truth

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chlorophile
What article is this?

an applicant wrote an article in the Nottingham Post criticising the interview system - but idk, I get that the interview system is slow, but Oxford are very aware of that and they generally seemed to try and make it quicker for the applicants wherever they could?
Subject: English
College: Magdalen
International/Home: International-MA, USA
Offer: unconditional

Do Oxford colleges have class pages for new undergraduates? Also, anyone here from Magdalen for English or music? Looking for all the people when I was at interview, didn't get everyone's contact info because of dumbass internat. texting bills.
Original post by mnina19

Yes, it's incredibly expensive for Oxford to interview but they know they're necessary. There are actually multiple meetings held throughout the year at Oxford where leading professors and other people (generally people high up in the admin side of Oxford who know what they're doing - usually statisticians/researchers) to discuss literally every aspect of the current admissions process from admissions tests to the logistics of interviewing people (and how effective these methods are) - so it's always amusing when people ask these kinds of questions, as if Oxford started using this admissions process 400 years ago and they keep forgetting to schedule a meeting to talk about updating it.

The article was written as if he was already rejected though, which was a bit odd, but regardless, even if you're rejected the process isn't really a 'waste of time'.

Latest

Trending

Trending