The Student Room Group

C3 - trig

Hello, I'm stuck/confused with the following.

Tan^2X+2tanx+1 express in terms of cotx. I think it's (cot^2x)+(1/2cotx)+1. But there's a devil in me trying to make believe its (cot^2x)+(2cotx)+1 - surely this can't be right? Which one is it:angry:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Cool-Light

Tan^2X+2tanx+1 express in terms of cotx. I think it's (cot^2x)+(1/2cotx)+1. But there's a devil in me trying to make believe its (cot^2x)+(2cotx)+1 - surely this can't be right? Which one is it:angry:

I do not follow your argument
would you be as kind as to post your working?
Reply 2

2tanx is simply (2)x(tanx). You can then change (tanx) to (1/cotx) so you end up with (2)x(1/cotx) which is (2/cotx). I think :smile:

(the 'x's outside the brackets being multiplication signs rather than the variable x)
(edited 9 years ago)

tanx=1cotx\tan x = \frac{1}{\cot x}
tan2x+2tanx+1=cot2x+2cot1x+1 \therefore \tan^{2} x + 2\tan x + 1 = \cot^{-2} x + 2 \cot^{-1} x + 1
Reply 4
Original post by TeeEm
I do not follow your argument
would you be as kind as to post your working?

Ahhh, here's the original question manipulated by me. "Simplify the following expressions to a single term"

Question: (tan^4x)+(2tan^x)+1, please don't solve it, it's one of my homework questions, I just need a hint. So I tried that up there in order to experiment and see where I get...
Reply 5
Original post by morgan8002
tanx=1cotx\tan x = \frac{1}{\cot x}
tan2x+2tanx+1=cot2x+2cot1x+1 \therefore \tan^{2} x + 2\tan x + 1 = \cot^{-2} x + 2 \cot^{-1} x + 1

Oh, so the devil turned out to be angel :smile:. Thank you for clearing the misconception
Reply 6
Ahhh, here's the original question manipulated by me. "Simplify the following expressions to a single term"

Question: (tan^4x)+(2tan^x)+1, please don't solve it, it's one of my homework questions, I just need a hint. So I tried that up there in order to experiment and see where I get...

look at post 4
is what morgan8002 has written your question because what you have typed is ambiguous
Reply 7
Wait what...?
Reply 8
Original post by TeeEm
look at post 4
is what morgan8002 has written your question because what you have typed is ambiguous

So there's more than one way of writing it?

does tan^4x mean tan4x\tan^{4} x? what about 2tan^x?
Reply 10
So there's more than one way of writing it?

straitjacket-vector-823041.jpg

NO!

read this please

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2873737
Reply 11

Haha, that image made my day. I'll write it for u n upload
Reply 12
Haha, that image made my day. I'll write it for u n upload

thanks
:smile:
Reply 13
Hopefully it posted...
Hopefully it posted...

You can't legally derive the second expression.
Think about how you can get it in a form where you can use the standard trig identities.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
Think about how you can get it in a form where you can use the standard trig identities.

Omfg!! Thank you!!!!! I'm an idiot, if we were to factorise the image I uploaded without the illegal move we would get this:
Omfg!! Thank you!!!!! I'm an idiot, if we were to factorise the image I uploaded without the illegal move we would get this:

I don't see an image, but factorising is the way to go. Do you see where to go now?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 17

And true, I just did it to view my understanding from an easier perspective if that makes sense?
Reply 18
Did it upload
Reply 19
Sorry my net and my phone decides to freeze at certain points, f@k!

Quick Reply

Latest