The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ocean7
Medicine, but the accelerated course how about you?

Physics
Original post by Noble.
Yes, it's incredibly expensive for Oxford to interview but they know they're necessary. There are actually multiple meetings held throughout the year at Oxford where leading professors and other people (generally people high up in the admin side of Oxford who know what they're doing - usually statisticians/researchers) to discuss literally every aspect of the current admissions process from admissions tests to the logistics of interviewing people (and how effective these methods are) - so it's always amusing when people ask these kinds of questions, as if Oxford started using this admissions process 400 years ago and they keep forgetting to schedule a meeting to talk about updating it.

Though there is quite a contrast between most subjects and the processes there are for Medicine (where interviews take place within a 26 hour period) and Engineering (where interviews take place within a day).
Reply 162
Hi! I've been watching this thread for a while and decided to post because I just saw your comment saying that you were intrrviewed at Brasenose for medicine? I was there from 14th-16th for psychology so I reckon you must have been there at the same time as me! And while I'm at it, I don't know how your open offer from Queen's could have come about, but I'm going to take a complete guess and say that maybe Brasenose had underwritten too many offers, and seeing as Queen's is bigger they may have had space to underwrite people from other colleges that didn't have enough room? Like I say, that's a complete guess as I don't know how the system works, but it's the only explanation I can think of.

For the record, I have an open offer from Brasenose for psychology - A*AA :biggrin: at the moment I'm studying psychology, biology and Spanish. Would love to hear from anyone else who was interviewed at Brasenose/Somerville for psychology!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mnina19
an applicant wrote an article in the Nottingham Post criticising the interview system - but idk, I get that the interview system is slow, but Oxford are very aware of that and they generally seemed to try and make it quicker for the applicants wherever they could?

I found it. That's a pretty weird article to be honest. I don't think it's particularly well written, he's not really suggesting any kind of alternative system and I don't really understand what he's so annoyed by. He seems to do an awful lot of ranting whilst not making a massive amount of sense. This really doesn't sound very well thought out, more like the kind of thing you'd angrily scribble down after a nasty experience.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Lau14
Subject: Physics
College: St Hugh's
Outcome: Offer
Conditions: A*AA, A* in any of maths, further maths or physics
How did you hear? (email/letter/phone/owl): letter
How do you feel? surprised! and a little sad as I won't actually be accepting the offer

Optional extras:
Name: Lauren

Hello fellow physicist!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 165
Original post by PhysGeek
Hello fellow physicist!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey there! which college have you applied for/had an offer from?
Hello fellow physicist!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I also have an offer for Physics at St Annes.

Which college do you have an offer for?
Original post by Chlorophile
At least four people from my school now have Oxford offers which is pretty impressive (double last year's number I think) for a comprehensive! We don't usually get so many, particularly not in the sciences.

I'm the only one :redface: I don't think anyone expected me to get an offer bc i'm so lazy (y)
Original post by troodon
I'm the only one :redface: I don't think anyone expected me to get an offer bc i'm so lazy (y)

It's five now in my school apparently, just learned that another one got an offer (which means almost everyone who applied to Oxford in my school got in which is pretty cool). Well done though for your English offer, might want to work on the laziness though :wink:
Reply 169
I'm the only person from my school who applied, so everyone's really pleased :smile: we haven't sent anyone to Oxbridge in years :P

Edit: fluteflute's table shows me that we've had two people get into Oxford since 2010 :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Yaz97
Hi! I've been watching this thread for a while and decided to post because I just saw your comment saying that you were intrrviewed at Brasenose for medicine? I was there from 14th-16th for psychology so I reckon you must have been there at the same time as me! And while I'm at it, I don't know how your open offer from Queen's could have come about, but I'm going to take a complete guess and say that maybe Brasenose had underwritten too many offers, and seeing as Queen's is bigger they may have had space to underwrite people from other colleges that didn't have enough room? Like I say, that's a complete guess as I don't know how the system works, but it's the only explanation I can think of.

For the record, I have an open offer from Brasenose for psychology - A*AA :biggrin: at the moment I'm studying psychology, biology and Spanish. Would love to hear from anyone else who was interviewed at Brasenose/Somerville for psychology!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes we must have been! I loved Brasenose so much, there was such a buss about the JCR and everyone was lovely :smile: Thank you, yeah that would make sense!! Congratulations with your offer too! Maybe we'll even end up at the same college who knows :biggrin:
Original post by Lau14
Hey there! which college have you applied for/had an offer from?

Applied to and offer from merton

Posted from TSR Mobile
YAY!! Physicist!! And merton. Congratulations!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just wondering, is there anybody with an offer who will not be firming Oxford?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by danniegee
I'm the only person from my school who applied, so everyone's really pleased :smile: we haven't sent anyone to Oxbridge in years :P

Well done! Are you getting an awful lot of admiration from your peers?
YAY!! Physicist!! And merton. Congratulations!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks. You too!

Just the grades now
Reply 176
Original post by evazilber57
Just wondering, is there anybody with an offer who will not be firming Oxford?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That'd be me! As much as I'd love to go to Oxford (I enjoyed myself a lot at St Hugh's for the interviews), I want to do more astrophysics in the course than I'd be able to at Oxford :frown:
Reply 177
Original post by Chlorophile
Well done! Are you getting an awful lot of admiration from your peers?

Sort of... I'm quite a quiet person on the whole so the attention is a bit embarrassing! It's lovely to have so much support though - everyone's been great :smile:
Original post by danniegee
Sort of... I'm quite a quiet person on the whole so the attention is a bit embarrassing! It's lovely to have so much support though - everyone's been great :smile:

So am I, but it's definitely been a nice reception!
Reply 179
Original post by procrastibaker
Yes we must have been! I loved Brasenose so much, there was such a buss about the JCR and everyone was lovely :smile: Thank you, yeah that would make sense!! Congratulations with your offer too! Maybe we'll even end up at the same college who knows :biggrin:

I agree about Brasenose, it had a lovely atmosphere and I liked the fact that it was so small, like a little family :smile: so many other nice colleges though! It's strange to think that there are people posting on here who I may have seen during my stay, or will see if I get in! Some of the people chatting on here could even be best friends within a year... it's so surreal.

Latest

Trending

Trending