The Student Room Group

Cambridge 'No Hopers' 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Necrosyrtes
Lol, I too bet my friend £5 that I wouldn't get in.

If you got in, you wouldn't mind losing £5 for it;
If you didn't, you would have £5 to buy a box of ice-cream or something as a console. :lol:

You can't lose :yep:
Original post by RainbowVeins
You are a LEGEND.

:colondollar::colondollar: If all fails, at least I have a good anecdote!!
If you got in, you wouldn't mind losing £5 for it;
If you didn't, you would have £5 to buy a box of ice-cream or something as a console. :lol:

You can't lose :yep:

Yeah that's what I was thinking when I made the bet :laugh:
Reply 23
With whom? :tongue:

A friend of mine who's practically guaranteed an offer for Maths at King's Camb (with 99% UMS he's a dead cert).
Original post by TVIO
A friend of mine who's practically guaranteed an offer for Maths at King's Camb (with 99% UMS he's a dead cert).

The thing with maths is that UMS isn't the best indicator, although he has a good chance with 99% UMS indeed :tongue:
Hope you both get in!
Original post by Necrosyrtes
Yeah that's what I was thinking when I made the bet :laugh:

Good thinking :laugh: I wish I did that :lol:
Original post by bradshawsl
:colondollar::colondollar: If all fails, at least I have a good anecdote!!

Haha exactly!
Original post by Reacher65
Average GCSE's
90% UMS average

At the interview, the guy practically helped me step to step solving the maths problems (applied for Engineering). One time he got me to say the answer to one of the questions out loud, I still stared blankly at the paper, I just froze.

Most annoying is the fact that only 2 applied from my school and people are expecting us to get in, so I have to face a week of pity and sympathy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What was the question? Cause I had the same happen to me during my maths interview for Chem eng via natsci
I thought I was a no hoper for 2014 - AACC at AS! And I somehow got in...have deferred my place to 2015 though :smile: would be great to see some of you in October - you never know what might happen :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Original post by Reacher65
Average GCSE's
90% UMS average

At the interview, the guy practically helped me step to step solving the maths problems (applied for Engineering). One time he got me to say the answer to one of the questions out loud, I still stared blankly at the paper, I just froze.

Most annoying is the fact that only 2 applied from my school and people are expecting us to get in, so I have to face a week of pity and sympathy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know what you mean.
I came from a competitive italian state school, we have had few (unsuccessful) applicants during the past years, and now all the hopes are on me and my friend. She is likely of being offer a place, and I have no idea about how to deal with the disappointment.
Additionally, no one seems to believe in my objectivity when I talk about my interview !
Guys i feel like my only hope is that Cambridge pity me for how bad my secondary school was, I mean it was in special measures... Some of the **** that happened in that school smh
Reply 29
The thing with maths is that UMS isn't the best indicator, although he has a good chance with 99% UMS indeed :tongue:
Hope you both get in!

Thanks you too!
I was a tit in my interview for law. They asked me how law related to my a level subjects and I started with "well law is a lot like a pantomime" before rambling about villains and wigs. The test didn't go too well either.
How is it like pantomime?:confused:
Original post by Thatgingerkid
I was a tit in my interview for law. They asked me how law related to my a level subjects and I started with "well law is a lot like a pantomime" before rambling about villains and wigs. The test didn't go too well either.
I would bet money on someone from this thread getting offers :yep:

We will see :smile:

Applying for medicine:
One interviewer asked me why not MATH?? WTF he is thinking?
I am so over.

Expecting a cheeky rejection 100%
Anyone else looking forward to seeing their feedback?
(edited 9 years ago)
Does not taking GCSE's put you at a disadvantage, as we don't have them at our school? I only take IB (44 predicted)
Original post by marsbms
I know what you mean.
I came from a competitive italian state school, we have had few (unsuccessful) applicants during the past years, and now all the hopes are on me and my friend. She is likely of being offer a place, and I have no idea about how to deal with the disappointment.
Additionally, no one seems to believe in my objectivity when I talk about my interview !

Just out of curiosity, where do you study in Italy? I'm Italian too
Reply 36
The final few hours of clinging to the possibility of the possibility.
Reply 37
Original post by Noemiluisa
Just out of curiosity, where do you study in Italy? I'm Italian too

Hi 👋

I'm from Rome and I am doing the Liceo Classico (Convitto Nazionale).

Where are you studying and what are you applying to, if you don't mind me asking ?

(It's nice to find another Italian!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by marsbms
Hi 👋

I'm from Rome and I am doing the Liceo Classico (Convitto Nazionale).

Where are you studying and what are you applying to, if you don't mind me asking ?

(It's nice to find another Italian!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm from Nola (near Naples) and I'm studying at Albertini (liceo scientifico)
I applied for mathematics,but I don't think I'll get an offer.
Original post by Thatgingerkid

Beautiful!

Best of luck with your application! Iit will all turn out okay no matter what happens. :smile: :yy: So don't get too beat up about things.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending