The Student Room Group

Why are you single?

Does anyone else think this is a strange thing to ask someone? I've been asked why I don't have a girlfriend a couple of times already this year, and I never really know what to say in response. It's as if, in many people's eyes, being in a relationship should be the default for human beings, and if you aren't in one you should have a reason or excuse for yourself.

I'm comfortable being single, but I can't help going on the defensive when somebody asks me why I am, even though I know sometimes it's said almost as a compliment. Does anyone else feel like this?

Scroll to see replies

Maybe because you're too good looking to be single, take that as a compliment op
I don't see it as a compliment, oh wait I guess in certain situations it is lol. I never know how to answer it, its one of those awkward questions and it sometimes makes me think into it alot more than I should. Like maybe I'm single because I'm too picky, when in actual fact its because I haven't met the right person.
I've never understood why it matters. I was once asked if I had a boyfriend and I said no. To which my mum replies "it's called having sense". Say her who married at 23. :tongue:
Reply 4
Original post by OU Student
I've never understood why it matters. I was once asked if I had a boyfriend and I said no. To which my mum replies "it's called having sense". Say her who married at 23. :tongue:

Yes but back in the days it was different.

OP, I'm single because I want to save myself for marriage and I'm not ready for marriage so no point in dating, really.
It's my choice
My choice too. I'll think of having one in second year but first year I want to have fun and not be restricted
I'm single because I'm not really interested in anyone atm. The last person I was interested in, doesn't want a relationship and the last person who was interested in me, well, I wouldn't date if he was the last person earth. It was obvious just how desparate he was for a relationship.
I'm awfully shy and I avoid social interaction... But I like it that way
Reply 9
I'm ugly and socially awkward
Reply 10
To those that have replied so far, thanks for your honest answers but I originally intended the thread to talk about why people would ask you why you're single, and why being single is seen as almost a defect by some. But maybe the question "why are you single" is in fact more interesting, so who knows.
Freedom, for me. I'd been in several relationships by the time I was 20 and I realised I hate being in a relationship. just hate the feeling of having to answer to someone and not just be able to do what I like as and when I please. Also, being with one person becomes monotonous very quickly to me.
I'm not good enough for anyone. I've been told I'm too fat ( although my dr says the opposite) and that I need plastic surgery to fix myself

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LouiseC15
I'm not good enough for anyone. I've been told I'm too fat ( although my dr says the opposite) and that I need plastic surgery to fix myself

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sure that's not true :smile:
Call of Duty.
Too good looking is my guess,
Original post by LouiseC15

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry to hear that. You don't need plastic surgery, you need confidence
DON'T. EvEN. STUNT.
Most people do see it as a compliment as it's showing that their isn't anything too obvious (e.g personality/ looks) that would stop you being in a relationship. I totally see what you mean though, many do think everyone naturally wants a partner. :')
I've been in relationships and I think I'm a nicer person when single XD
Cos i'm too afraid of rejection and not good enough for most women it would seem. I'm also afraid of someone actually liking me because it means sharing my life and opening up myself to them.

Something that i can't do because they'll just leave me once they find out who i really am.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending