The Student Room Group

My university marks

Hello. I'm a first year student. I got 68%, 72% and 75% for my assignments so far. Why can't I get 80%+? What do you need to do to score above 80%? How the hell are you supposed to write?

Or maybe I just ain't got enough swag.

Scroll to see replies

What do you study?

80% is normally very difficult to obtain in some courses.

...or perhaps you're right, not enough swag.
Original post by Uncouth body
Hello. I'm a first year student. I got 68%, 72% and 75% for my assignments so far. Why can't I get 80%+? What do you need to do to score above 80%? How the hell are you supposed to write?

Or maybe I just ain't got enough swag.

80% is incredibly rare, they don't give tend to give them out much. But basically,be incredibly analytical and synthesise information together to make your own conclusions.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by King Leonidas
What do you study?

80% is normally very difficult to obtain in some courses.

...or perhaps you're right, not enough swag.

Geography at Uni of Sheffield... Yes. It's not a STEM subject. Blah blah blah. I don't care. I study geography because I want to.
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
80% is incredibly rare, they don't give tend to give them out much. But basically,be incredibly analytical and synthesise information together to make your own conclusions.

Give me an example of that would you?
Geography at Uni of Sheffield... Yes. It's not a STEM subject. Blah blah blah. I don't care. I study geography because I want to.

Did you have to colour a map, perhaps the crayon went outside of the lines:teehee:

Just joking, ask for some help in the Geography forum...

You are less likely to get 80+s in subjects that are more essay based as the marking is a lot more subjective. Whereas with a lot of engineering etc it's a right or wrong answer. In my 4 years of studying law I never heard of anyone getting 80%+
Reply 7
Original post by King Leonidas
Did you have to colour a map, perhaps the crayon went outside of the lines:teehee:

Just joking, ask for some help in the Geography forum...

No that would be too simple! I'm actually creating an A3 project note book, which is even more colourful than a simple map!

I don't mind people making fun of my subject :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by lyrical_lie
You are less likely to get 80+s in subjects that are more essay based as the marking is a lot more subjective. Whereas with a lot of engineering etc it's a right or wrong answer. In my 4 years of studying law I never heard of anyone getting 80%+

Do STEM subjects even have essays? Or is it all quantitative 'right' or 'wrong' stuff? How is a course like engineering assessed then?
No that would be too simple! I'm actually creating an A3 project note book, which is even more colourful than a simple map!

I don't mind people making fun of my subject :smile:

I was only kidding, I reckon Geography is a very respectable degree.
Your marks are perfectly good, during the two years i was at uni i only ever got one 1st, in an essay on a subject any child could write about. My other marks were mostly around 60 percent.
Do STEM subjects even have essays? Or is it all quantitative 'right' or 'wrong' stuff? How is a course like engineering assessed then?

That's what I'm saying in Engineering it's right or wrong problem solving with calculations and lab reports with essay based subjects the marking scheme is more subjective.
That's what I'm saying in Engineering it's right or wrong problem solving with calculations and lab reports with essay based subjects the marking scheme is more subjective.

Ah. That wouldn't suit me at all. I need time to think and formulate my work. I don't have the right kind of brain for mathematical stuff. I struggled to get a A for A level maths. :frown:
Reply 13

Speaking from my experience on a physics degree, most assessments are right answer, wrong answer. The exception to this is in lab reports - effectively an essay describing the findings of an experiment.
Ah. That wouldn't suit me at all. I need time to think and formulate my work. I don't have the right kind of brain for mathematical stuff. I struggled to get a A for A level maths. :frown:

But you're studying geography at uni so it is not more about population and things which will be much more essay based. I was just using engineering as an example of people who get 80%+ whereas we are more unlikely to. In my opinion if you're hitting 70+ it doesn't matter how much higher it is. It's still a first.

Um, there's a huge amount of subjectivity in engineering...
Original post by Smack
Um, there's a huge amount of subjectivity in engineering...

I know with lab reports etc but less so than my subject (law) at least according to my chem eng bf lol.
But you're studying geography at uni so it is not more about population and things which will be much more essay based. I was just using engineering as an example of people who get 80%+ whereas we are more unlikely to. In my opinion if you're hitting 70+ it doesn't matter how much higher it is. It's still a first.

Well, the only bit of 'quantitative stuff' I've written about so far, is positivism, hypothesis tests, quantitative revolution, logical positivism, critical rationalism etc. I haven't had to actually 'calculate' anything yet, but apparently I will need to do some tricky statistics in the future. However, I've studied S1 and S2 as modules for A level maths, so I'm hoping that I'll have a head start compared to my friend, who I think got something like a B at GCSE.
Reply 18

Don't worry Uni isn't like school at all. No-one will ask for your individual marks. The only thing that matters is if you can keep performing like this for the 3-4 years of your course in which case you will be given a certificate of distinction I'm sure.
Original post by xylas
Don't worry Uni isn't like school at all. No-one will ask for your individual marks. The only thing that matters is if you can keep performing like this for the 3-4 years of your course in which case you will be given a certificate of distinction I'm sure.

Well I'm not aiming for a first, though it would be nice. Rather, I'm interested in what is required to achieve one. I'd like to see a sample essay given 80%+ just out of curiosity I suppose.

Quick Reply

Latest