The Student Room Group

Which university is best?

For a law student which university is most respected and has a better quality of teaching and also student life? So basically, in an overall perspective which one is the best one really?

City University London, Nottingham Trent, Portsmouth or De Montfort?
None of them are brilliant but if you want a good student life and the best study resources I would go for Nottingham Trent
Reply 2
Original post by neal95
None of them are brilliant but if you want a good student life and the best study resources I would go for Nottingham Trent

So you'd say that it is better than City and Portsmouth? Because I've looked at some league tables and them both beat Nottingham Trent.. :confused:
Original post by Lowkoo
So you'd say that it is better than City and Portsmouth? Because I've looked at some league tables and them both beat Nottingham Trent.. :confused:

I definitely wouldn't go with league tables, they are based on so many unnecessary factors which have no bearing on the taught aspect. Trent is definitely a good uni for law and you get a placement year aswell in addition to using some of Nottingham university's facilities. The nightlife is also good.

However city university would be good for prospects also but not sure that the typical student lifestyle will be found there. It is quite international in outlook and so may be more cliquey than a standard undergraduate course at an alternate university
Reply 4
Original post by neal95
I definitely wouldn't go with league tables, they are based on so many unnecessary factors which have no bearing on the taught aspect. Trent is definitely a good uni for law and you get a placement year aswell in addition to using some of Nottingham university's facilities. The nightlife is also good.

However city university would be good for prospects also but not sure that the typical student lifestyle will be found there. It is quite international in outlook and so may be more cliquey than a standard undergraduate course at an alternate university

Oh okay, yeah what you're saying is making sense, I never knew whether to trust the league tables anyway because some universities are researched through fewer numbers of results looked at so I never really knew if it was reliable or not.

Also, it's not too bad really because I was indecisive about which one of the 4 I want to accept. Neither of them are my firm choice, they are a back up, but I don't want my back up to be a university that is not good.. So thanks! :biggrin:
Original post by Lowkoo
Oh okay, yeah what you're saying is making sense, I never knew whether to trust the league tables anyway because some universities are researched through fewer numbers of results looked at so I never really knew if it was reliable or not.

Also, it's not too bad really because I was indecisive about which one of the 4 I want to accept. Neither of them are my firm choice, they are a back up, but I don't want my back up to be a university that is not good.. So thanks! :biggrin:

No worries haha! What's your firm uni mate? Do you study a level law?
Reply 6
Original post by neal95
No worries haha! What's your firm uni mate? Do you study a level law?

Haha yeah man and my firm is Liverpool I think it's a pretty good university and it's In the Russell Group aswell so that's an extra haha!
But I'm not doing law for a levels, I saw something about how universities prefer it if you haven't done it yet because it's like a blank page and because they also don't require it I just thought why not do something else.. So yeah looool
:biggrin:
Original post by Lowkoo
Haha yeah man and my firm is Liverpool I think it's a pretty good university and it's In the Russell Group aswell so that's an extra haha!
But I'm not doing law for a levels, I saw something about how universities prefer it if you haven't done it yet because it's like a blank page and because they also don't require it I just thought why not do something else.. So yeah looool
:biggrin:

Oh nice, Liverpool is one of my choices and will be my insurance I think, a great Russell group uni and some decent accommodation aswell. Yeah I also read that about some unis but I already took it by then and received my offers :P did you had any mocks and if so how did you do?
For Law I would chose City Uni London - closer to the courts and a is there a better city in the world to live in bar New York?
Reply 9
Original post by neal95
Oh nice, Liverpool is one of my choices and will be my insurance I think, a great Russell group uni and some decent accommodation aswell. Yeah I also read that about some unis but I already took it by then and received my offers :P did you had any mocks and if so how did you do?

That's that's good! Are you applying for law aswell? And nah not yet haven't done any mocks yet so kinda scared but fingers crossed! Have you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know someone who went to Nottingham Trent who went on to be a successful barrister. Overall it's not that amazing a university but it's Law School does have a good reputation.
Harvard

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending