The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Red Fox
No the looks of a college are the most important thing:lol:. It even has ducks!

Did you not just Photoshop them in? Eitherway that's a pretty grand entrance, looks like a tourist hotspot.
Original post by Red Fox
No the looks of a college are the most important thing:lol:. It even has ducks!

That green in Emma is so nice! I also learnt how the stripy grass things worked when I was at summer school there :redface: never knew that whether the grass looks dark or light depends on which way you're looking at it from :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
UCAS Question?

Q) If on results day your firm university requires you to get AAB and you achieve ABB would you still have a chance to get in? If your Insurance choice asks for ABB and although you have ABB are set on your firm choice AAB how long would that firm university take to get back to you if they can still offer you a space based upon spaces left as wouldn't that take like a week. If so, what would you do about your insurance university offer. Would you just accept it and then decline it or just keep them waiting until your firm uni decision gets back to you?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by H.Ibrahim
Did you not just Photoshop them in? Eitherway that's a pretty grand entrance, looks like a tourist hotspot.

No:lol:

That's not the entrance, it's inside college:tongue:. Not many tourists by Emma tbh they all seem to hang around King's and St. John's.
Original post by Bude8
That green in Emma is so nice! I also learnt how the stripy grass things worked when I was at summer school there :redface: never knew that whether the grass looks dark or light depends on which way you're looking at it from :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

How does it work?:redface: Is it just 'brushed' (can't think of the term) in different directions.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Red Fox
No:lol:

That's not the entrance, it's inside college:tongue:. Not many tourists by Emma tbh they all seem to hang around King's and St. John's.

How does it work?:redface:

It depends on the direction the blades of grass are pointing - adjacent lanes will have grass pointing in other directions. So for example, the grass in one lane is pointed at 45 degrees from horizontal and in a neighbouring lane the grass will be pointed at 135 degrees from horizontal. This changes how much light is reflected, I think, which is why we see the stripes. Out of all the colleges I've seen (maybe 3/4) Emma had the most defined stripes :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
UCAS Question?

Q) If on results day your firm university requires you to get AAB and you achieve ABB would you still have a chance to get in? If your Insurance choice asks for ABB and although you have ABB are set on your firm choice AAB how long would that firm university take to get back to you if they can still offer you a space based upon spaces left as wouldn't that take like a week. If so, what would you do about your insurance university offer. Would you just accept it and then decline it or just keep them waiting until your firm uni decision gets back to you?

Basically when you have your results if you've failed your offer go onto track
Your decisions will either say "conditional" meaning that they haven't decided yet and you should ring up and talk to them and try and convince them to let you in basically
Or if it says "declined/unsuccessful "they've already rejected you
I heard of somebody getting a response from clearing two weeks later

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bude8
It depends on the direction the blades of grass are pointing - adjacent lanes will have grass pointing in other directions. So for example, the grass in one lane is pointed at 45 degrees from horizontal and in a neighbouring lane the grass will be pointed at 135 degrees from horizontal. This changes how much light is reflected, I think, which is why we see the stripes. Out of all the colleges I've seen (maybe 3/4) Emma had the most defined stripes :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

How do they make the grass stay at an angle though, I've never tested the properties of grass but it's not very sturdy:lol:.
Original post by Bude8

Original post by Red Fox
How do they make the grass stay at an angle though, I've never tested the properties of grass but it's not very sturdy:lol:.

They use a very sticky substance (I'll leave that up to your imagination :tongue:) ask the porters, they know what I'm talking about :lol:
Original post by Red Fox

Well, I stumbled about the secret to it myself. But unfortunately for you it's magic so I can't tell you otherwise it wouldn't work anymore :indiff:

Just kidding, I have no idea how they do it - perhaps they cut in one direction for every other lane, then in the opposite direction for the leftover lanes?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bude8
Well, I stumbled about the secret to it myself. But unfortunately for you it's magic so I can't tell you otherwise it wouldn't work anymore :indiff:

Just kidding, I have no idea how they do it - perhaps they cut in one direction for every other lane, then in the opposite direction for the leftover lanes?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that is how they do it :smile: it's like cutting against and with the natural grain of the grass

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
UCAS Question?

rachel's answer covered this well, but in case you want a bit more detail or want to think about other scenarios this Wiki article may be helpful:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/guide_to_a_level_results_day
Original post by rachelc142
Yeah that is how they do it :smile: it's like cutting against and with the natural grain of the grass

Posted from TSR Mobile

Since you said that, next time I'm mowing the lawn I won't be able to help but think I'm shaving it :lol:
Original post by Bude8
Since you said that, next time I'm mowing the lawn I won't be able to help but think I'm shaving it :lol:

Lmao yeah I was gonna describe it like that actually
Good luck to all of you waiting on Cambridge decisions! Hope you receive the letter that you want to
Original post by Red Fox

How did they go?:smile:

Original post by Bude8
How did they go?

Apart from needing to improve time efficiency in Chemistry, they were alright overall thanks :smile:. Do you guys have any mocks?
Original post by JustaDreamer
Apart from needing to improve time efficiency in Chemistry, they were alright overall thanks :smile:. Do you guys have any mocks?

Mine are next week, I'm going to do so bad at chem:lol:. You on OCR?
Original post by Red Fox

I wish we had a week extra to revise! And yup sure am.
Original post by Red Fox

Oh and good luck! Sure you'll be fine :tongue:
I wish we had a week extra to revise! And yup sure am.

I've had an hour and a half of basketball training after school every day this week so when I get home I'm shattered and just rest and watch anime so I've got no revision done:frown:.
Oh and good luck! Sure you'll be fine :tongue:

Thanks:smile:. At the end of the day it's just a mock, I can use it to identify my weaknesses.

Yup, four hours of maths in around an hour and a half :frown:

Then it's V A C A T I O N!

Latest