The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bookworm77
Hi :smile:. I'm an international student who's applied to Queens' and I was wondering if anyone on here knows if Queens' automatically emails your result to you or if you need to request it?

You can request it from Monday 12th :smile:
Which subject have you applied for? I applied to queens' for natural sciences!!
Original post by Edac
YES

IF YOU HAVE A GRAPHICAL CALCULATOR ASK IT TO GRAPH i^(ix) (or use wolfram alpha) WERUJHWERIUHEWFIJNFDJKDNFDKJVNKJVNCKJVNJNJ ITS REAL FOR ALL X :eek3:

yes cause i^i is equal to e^-pi/2 by de moivres theorem.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CaitlinDy
YES. I just love it that everything works out and makes complete sense. In languages there are so many exceptions but in maths it either works or doesn't and it's awesome! Physics as well since it's sort of a derivative of maths

Posted from TSR Mobile

Omg yes!!! I assume you're a maths applicant? I am (for Pembroke!)! Good luck x

Posted from TSR Mobile
For those interested in CamTweet, here are the accounts! they will be going live on Sunday! :biggrin:

Engineering @camtweetengine
MML @camtweetmml
English @camtweetenglish
Geography @camtweetgeog
Medicine @camtweetmedic
Law @camtweetlaw
PhysNatSci @camtweetphsy
CompSci @camtweetcompsci
HSPS @camtweethsps
Philosophy @camtweetphil
BioNatSci @camtweetbio
History @camtweethistory
Reply 1644
Original post by physicsmaths
yes cause i^i is equal to e^-pi/2 by de moivres theorem.

yeah BUT JUST THINK ABOUT IT

an imaginary number to the power of an imaginary number IS A REAL TRANSCENDENTAL NUMBER ?!!

and the i'th root of -1 is e^pi... it makes sense maths wise but just think about what it means... THE IMAGINARY ROOT OF -1 IS 23.1...!?!?!?!?
Original post by Edac
YES

IF YOU HAVE A GRAPHICAL CALCULATOR ASK IT TO GRAPH i^(ix) (or use wolfram alpha) WERUJHWERIUHEWFIJNFDJKDNFDKJVNKJVNCKJVNJNJ ITS REAL FOR ALL X :eek3:

This inspired me to buy the Wolfram|Alpha app <3

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Paralove
For those interested in CamTweet, here are the accounts! they will be going live on Sunday! :biggrin:

MML @camtweetmml
English @camtweetenglish
Geography @camtweetgeog
Medicine @camtweetmedic
Law @camtweetlaw
PhysNatSci @camtweetphsy
CompSci @camtweetcompsci
HSPS @camtweethsps
Philosophy @camtweetphil
BioNatSci @camtweetbio
History @camtweethistory

No mathematics. πŸ˜ͺ

Posted from TSR Mobile

MML @camtweetmml
English @camtweetenglish
Geography @camtweetgeog
Medicine @camtweetmedic
Law @camtweetlaw
PhysNatSci @camtweetphsy
CompSci @camtweetcompsci
HSPS @camtweethsps
Philosophy @camtweetphil
BioNatSci @camtweetbio
History @camtweethistory

What will they be 'tweeting'? :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Elcor
This inspired me to buy the Wolfram|Alpha app <3

Posted from TSR Mobile

brilliant for hard integrals.

Posted from TSR Mobile

MML @camtweetmml
English @camtweetenglish
Geography @camtweetgeog
Medicine @camtweetmedic
Law @camtweetlaw
PhysNatSci @camtweetphsy
CompSci @camtweetcompsci
HSPS @camtweethsps
Philosophy @camtweetphil
BioNatSci @camtweetbio
History @camtweethistory

(If I get in) I'll definitely be following this! I've never met or heard from a Cambridge Philosophy student.
Original post by cerlohee
You can request it from Monday 12th :smile:
Which subject have you applied for? I applied to queens' for natural sciences!!

Thanks. I've applied for ASNaC!
Original post by Edac
yeah BUT JUST THINK ABOUT IT

an imaginary number to the power of an imaginary number IS A REAL TRANSCENDENTAL NUMBER ?!!

and the i'th root of -1 is e^pi... it makes sense maths wise but just think about what it means... THE IMAGINARY ROOT OF -1 IS 23.1...!?!?!?!?

Actually there are infinitely many (real) solutions of the form exp(-pi/2 +2kpi)
Original post by Minerva
Not so. The college that pooled an applicant they were still possibly interested in would only have taken you out again if they didn't find any applicants they liked better. If another college shows interest in the same applicant, they discuss it. If the pooling college finds another applicant they do like better, and on-one else takes the one they pooled, then that applicant is unsuccessful.

No. The agreed posting date is Friday 9th, so the earliest anyone can get a letter is Saturday 10th January, and colleges are expected not to pre-empt that. Some colleges will send out emails on Saturday but others won't do so until Monday. And, before you ask :smile:, I do not have a list of who does what...

Thank you!
Original post by newblood
Actually there are infinitely many (real) solutions of the form exp(-pi/2 +2kpi)

ah yes. this is true. off topi but do you do well on step 3 complex numbers problems? i cant seem to get my head around them. i tend to stick to differential equations and mechanics

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1654
Original post by newblood

yesyes I know but stop getting caught up in all the maths and just think about what you're doing! I see too many mathematicians acting like robots and not appreciating what it means
Original post by Elcor
What will they be 'tweeting'? :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just about life in general. About their work, anything they do socially - anything and everything really. They'll also be taking questions, with some dedicated Q&A hours on occasion.

Original post by tomfailinghelp
(If I get in) I'll definitely be following this! I've never met or heard from a Cambridge Philosophy student.

It should be good! In the bio it should tell you what year and college the student is at too.
Just about life in general. About their work, anything they do socially - anything and everything really. They'll also be taking questions, with some dedicated Q&A hours on occasion.

It should be good! In the bio it should tell you what year and college the student is at too.

Awesome! Well, thanks to whoever is organizing this.
Original post by Edac
yesyes I know but stop getting caught up in all the maths and just think about what you're doing! I see too many mathematicians acting like robots and not appreciating what it means

yh i still feel like you do every time i think about mathematics. eulers relation between 0 1 pi e and i. was the most beautiful piece of maths i seen. i was a baffled yr 12 kid and i sat there in awe as my teacher proved the infinite expansions then relates it to i then proved de moivres theorem then stu k pi in to get the relation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jessb_3125
Omg yes!!! I assume you're a maths applicant? I am (for Pembroke!)! Good luck x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Physical natsci for King's. I like physics more than maths because it gives a meaning to the numbers. But maths is such a useful tool and so cool to use when messing with people's heads! Best of luck to you too!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
This thread needs a new title...

Latest