The Student Room Group

Should I drop this btec?

Hi, I'm taking 4 A-levels which are mainly made up of Mathses (If that's even a word), and 1 btec.

I've chosen to do the btec as I thought I'd just quickly get a distinction star have some more ucas points and an extra level 3 qualification.
Tuuuuuurns out they take a bit of time and they're EXTREMELY boring....
It also isn't related to what I want to do in university.

So I was just thinking whether I should just drop it and focus on getting straight As in my A-levels?

Halp.
Anything anyone?
Original post by Placeboo123
Hi, I'm taking 4 A-levels which are mainly made up of Mathses (If that's even a word), and 1 btec.

I've chosen to do the btec as I thought I'd just quickly get a distinction star have some more ucas points and an extra level 3 qualification.
Tuuuuuurns out they take a bit of time and they're EXTREMELY boring....
It also isn't related to what I want to do in university.

So I was just thinking whether I should just drop it and focus on getting straight As in my A-levels?

Halp.

If you think the BTEC may cause you to loose time and focus on your A-levels then it might be a good idea to drop it, as A-levels of high grades look much better than a distinction* on a UCAS application (this is not my opinion in any way, just a fact, im not trying to dishearten people taking BTECs).

If you are not enjoying also you are less likely to get a good grade in it.

Ii cant tell you how to live your life, but If It was me in this situation I would focus on the A-levels as they are enough work as it is.
Original post by Natalierm2707
If you think the BTEC may cause you to loose time and focus on your A-levels then it might be a good idea to drop it, as A-levels of high grades look much better than a distinction* on a UCAS application (this is not my opinion in any way, just a fact, im not trying to dishearten people taking BTECs).

If you are not enjoying also you are less likely to get a good grade in it.

Ii cant tell you how to live your life, but If It was me in this situation I would focus on the A-levels as they are enough work as it is.

Thanks for replying mate, wouldn't an extra Distinction star give you a bit more competitive edge? I guess in some way it could be a matter of choosing one candidate or another.
Do you think the top unis will care much to see you have an extra distinction or distinction star?
But probably yeah you're right that I should be putting that time into the A levels.
Thanks for replying mate, wouldn't an extra Distinction star give you a bit more competitive edge? I guess in some way it could be a matter of choosing one candidate or another.
Do you think the top unis will care much to see you have an extra distinction or distinction star?
But probably yeah you're right that I should be putting that time into the A levels.

It depends what course your going for at what universities.

if its a competitive course: medicine, dentistry, veterinary science, engineering or at oxford/cambridge/imperial/st andrews then a BTEC may not even count for anything as most russel group universities will not use them as part of a offer, and sadly its only the UCAS points that form an offer that will count in your favour in most cases.

it shows great initiative but thats all really.
Original post by Natalierm2707
It depends what course your going for at what universities.

if its a competitive course: medicine, dentistry, veterinary science, engineering or at oxford/cambridge/imperial/st andrews then a BTEC may not even count for anything as most russel group universities will not use them as part of a offer, and sadly its only the UCAS points that form an offer that will count in your favour in most cases.

it shows great initiative but thats all really.

I guess I'll drop it then, I'm certainly not intending to go to a university who's entry requirements are given in ucas points.
If you say that Russel Brand doesn't care about btecs then no point doing it!
Thanks a lot for the advice mate!
I guess I'll drop it then, I'm certainly not intending to go to a university who's entry requirements are given in ucas points.
If you say that Russel Brand doesn't care about btecs then no point doing it!
Thanks a lot for the advice mate!

Haha russel brand!!!

but honestly if you want to study at great universities its not worth it!

wish you all the best

Quick Reply

Latest