The Student Room Group

Gcse mock / real Grades? ?

What did you get for your mock exam and you real GCSE Exam? How much did it differ ?:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by diana99
What did you get for your mock exam and you real GCSE Exam? How much did it differ ?:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I will put the mock grade before the real grade just so I dont have to write out mock and real a million times!

At GCSE:
English lang: A A*
English lit: A* A*
Maths: A* A*
Biology: A* A*
Chemistry: A* A*
Physics: A A*
Geography: A* A*
History: A* A*
French: A A

At AS level:
Biology: A(81%) A(97%)
Chemistry: A(84%) A(83%)
Geography: B(72%) A(96%)
Maths: C(64%) B(75%)

My advice is to take mocks as seriously as you can as it is the best way to test out your revision techniques and exam technique as any mistakes you make wont matter. Dont worry too much about mock results, what you get is by no means a representation of what you will get in summer, often for mocks less revision is done, and also in summer you are much more prepared, you know the whole sylabus, you have been going over stuff the whole year and you are much more used to the exam technique.
Mock grade first, real grade after, smiley face if accurate (i.e. mock, real, ?):
English Lang: A, A*
English Lit.: B, A
Maths: A*, A*, :smile:
Further maths: A*, A* with distinction
Biology: A*, A*, :smile:
Chemistry A*, A*, :smile:
Physics: A*, A*, :smile:
Geography: C, A
ICT: B, A*A*
Religious Studies: A, A*
Urdu: A, A*

I did cheat a little on the biology, chemistry and maths mocks by going through the paper beforehand :tongue: I wouldn't have got A*s otherwise.

Genuinely though, I put a lot of effort in before the real GCSE exams to improve my exam technique, which ultimately boosted my grades. The mocks fundamentally told me how the real exams would go down, which prepared me a little mentally as the execution of the mocks and the real exams was very similar. Grades-wise, I would say to use the mocks as a baseline - they should tell you where you're the weakest and should entice you to put some work in to fix that. I'd reccomend you finish learning the actual content by April and spend the last few weeks before each exam (and during the exam period) going through every past paper possible, because that's what's gonna shape your grade. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Hey Kaiwid23, can I please ask you something? I did the exact same thing as you did for your sciences, but for all subjects - i went through all the past papers and kind of learned the answers off by heart, so I scored high A*s in all my mock exam subjects. I know that's not the right way to do it, but our school uses the mock grades for our report card, and I was desperate.
I'm now really REALLY worried about the real exam, because I don't think I will do nearly as well! And I never got the chance to experience 'exam conditions' as my mock wasn't really a mock! I'm super worried now! Do you have any advice? What did you do to your sciences after the mocks?? How did you cope?

Original post by kaiwid23
Mock grade first, real grade after, smiley face if accurate (i.e. mock, real, ?):
English Lang: A, A*
English Lit.: B, A
Maths: A*, A*, :smile:
Further maths: A*, A* with distinction
Biology: A*, A*, :smile:
Chemistry A*, A*, :smile:
Physics: A*, A*, :smile:
Geography: C, A
ICT: B, A*A*
Religious Studies: A, A*
Urdu: A*, A*, :smile:

I did cheat a little on the biology, chemistry and maths mocks by going through the paper beforehand :tongue: I wouldn't have got A*s otherwise.

Genuinely though, I put a lot of effort in before the real GCSE exams to improve my exam technique, which ultimately boosted my grades. The mocks fundamentally told me how the real exams would go down, which prepared me a little mentally as the execution of the mocks and the real exams was very similar. Grades-wise, I would say to use the mocks as a baseline - they should tell you where you're the weakest and should entice you to put some work in to fix that. I'd reccomend you finish learning the actual content by April and spend the last few weeks before each exam (and during the exam period) going through every past paper possible, because that's what's gonna shape your grade. :smile:
Reply 4
okay, so i have got my results back from my gcse mock and boy... their rubbish. at the moment i need a* at my separate science in order to be accepted to my sixth form and to study medicine,however i had obtained all B's on my tests which were all by the way past papers.

the only problem is i revised so much like 4 hours on each subject and last year i had got a's on my c1'sb1's and p1's but on the level 2 grades i have done awful...

overall can someone give me advice on what i should be doing to effectively get a*'s for my real gcse science which is in 5 months time.thanks
Reply 5
Original post by johney37
okay, so i have got my results back from my gcse mock and boy... their rubbish. at the moment i need a* at my separate science in order to be accepted to my sixth form and to study medicine,however i had obtained all B's on my tests which were all by the way past papers.

the only problem is i revised so much like 4 hours on each subject and last year i had got a's on my c1'sb1's and p1's but on the level 2 grades i have done awful...

overall can someone give me advice on what i should be doing to effectively get a*'s for my real gcse science which is in 5 months time.thanks

First of all, B's are not awful! Even if you want to study medicine (and i appreciate the entry requirements are very high) but there is a difference between awful and not quite what is required.
Secondly, keep going over everything in Science. Dont try and 'bulk revise' for everything. Revise it and keep going over it. Create mindmaps, recite in your head, do cue cards, whatever works best for you.
Also; print off as many past GCSE exam papers as you can and do them. I know the AQA exam board have alot of past papers on there, i'm pretty sure other boards will too. Mark the papers, see what you get and use the mark schemes to revise mistakes.
Good luck.
Original post by makaylamacaroni
Hey Kaiwid23, can I please ask you something? I did the exact same thing as you did for your sciences, but for all subjects - i went through all the past papers and kind of learned the answers off by heart, so I scored high A*s in all my mock exam subjects. I know that's not the right way to do it, but our school uses the mock grades for our report card, and I was desperate.
I'm now really REALLY worried about the real exam, because I don't think I will do nearly as well! And I never got the chance to experience 'exam conditions' as my mock wasn't really a mock! I'm super worried now! Do you have any advice? What did you do to your sciences after the mocks?? How did you cope?

The most important thing is to not touch past papers until around the start of April. Learn the content first and, in my opinion, the best way to do that is with the CGP GCSE revision guides. That's what I used - they're short and concise - and I reinforced that knowledge by watching these "My GCSE Science" videos which were incredibly helpful. In May onwards, I went through every past paper I could find, even old papers based on the previous syllabus (there aren't that many differences). This taught me exam technique - showed me how to answer the actual questions to get maximum marks with the least writing - and gave me an idea of how much time I had. Good luck! :smile: :smile: :smile:
we just started b1,c1 and p1 in september.And finished it last lesson.(in year 10) and have got mocks in a few weeks.any tips and advice?
Thank you! I vowed not to touch those past papers until April :smile: Now i have to stop relying on 'guessing' the past paper that the teacher will choose but rather, actually study!

Original post by kaiwid23
The most important thing is to not touch past papers until around the start of April. Learn the content first and, in my opinion, the best way to do that is with the CGP GCSE revision guides. That's what I used - they're short and concise - and I reinforced that knowledge by watching these "My GCSE Science" videos which were incredibly helpful. In May onwards, I went through every past paper I could find, even old papers based on the previous syllabus (there aren't that many differences). This taught me exam technique - showed me how to answer the actual questions to get maximum marks with the least writing - and gave me an idea of how much time I had. Good luck! :smile: :smile: :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest