The Student Room Group

GCSEs for Medicine?

Hi everyone,

I'm choosing my options in Feb and as I know 100% that I want to go for Medicine, I was just wondering whether any former GCSE/Medical School candidates have any advice?

I still can't choose between Spanish/German and Geography/History! (At our school you must do at least one language and one humanities)

I know for sure that I will be doing Triple Science, Art & Design and Latin on top of the core subjects

Even though I have a good idea of what I want to take but I would be interested to know what anyone else going for Medicine has taken in prev. years and any advice on subject difficultly / coursework / time consumption !

Thank you!

PurplePenguin_09 x
Original post by Purple_Penguin09
Hi everyone,

I'm choosing my options in Feb and as I know 100% that I want to go for Medicine, I was just wondering whether any former GCSE/Medical School candidates have any advice?

I still can't choose between Spanish/German and Geography/History! (At our school you must do at least one language and one humanities)

I know for sure that I will be doing Triple Science, Art & Design and Latin on top of the core subjects

Even though I have a good idea of what I want to take but I would be interested to know what anyone else going for Medicine has taken in prev. years and any advice on subject difficultly / coursework / time consumption !

Thank you!

PurplePenguin_09 x

Doesn't make a difference - pick whichever ones you are more interested in and feel you can do best in. They're not going to reject you for picking Spanish instead of German or vice versa.
Any combination out of those 4 subjects will be perfectly fine. Pick the language and humanity you most enjoy and can see yourself doing well in. Perhaps when picking between history and geography think about how much you like writing extended answers? While they both will assess you via short and long (essay) answer questions - history will be purely through this whereas geography may also want some short questions on interpreting graphs and data, drawing diagrams etc. And with history, make sure you are comfortable with analysing sources if you have a sources paper at GCSE - I'm sure your school will still do some sources analysis in history before GCSE so you'll have some experience of it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending