The Student Room Group

Feeling accepted in Britain (for ethnic minorities)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ProudEnglishman
Of course human rights are abstractions! What, do you think some spook in the sky bestowed them unto us?

Does the deer not have a “right” to not have his throat torn apart by hyaenas? Of course he doesn't!

You say it as if it holds little or no basis in reality, which is what 'abstraction' means. In that way it is not an abstraction, as human rights and morality are both inbuilt into society and so is morality, at the biological level.

Nature, and society and morality are completely different... Making comparisons to nature is... hilariously wrong and inaccurate.
Original post by The Marshall
An enoch powell in our midst...how interesting.

That's Sir Oswald Ernald Mosley actually.
Original post by Tom_Ford
Let's be reality here, you're most likely some inbred looking town dweller that believes in the one drop of minority blood rule. Secretly, you feel threatened and underneath the superiority complex you unconsciously feel inferior about your inferior aesthetics. It's ok though mate, people are sympathetic towards the inbred. It's not your fault you most likely look a bit weird.

Complete and utter ad hominem. It would seem that quite a few people on this forum are incapable of either ignoring views with which they disagree or debating them, instead they turn to the age-old tactic of slanderous conjecture. I congratulate you on your unoriginality. Well done, good sir.
Original post by Blue_Mason
Seriel killer

Yes, absolutely and categorically true!

Also, it is spelt “serial killer”.

Good day!
Original post by hellodave5
So Human Rights are negligible to you?
Right.

Just curious; but what do you actually contribute to society?

I wonder if your morals relating to other issues are just as reprehensible.

You saying I and all other people who do not have a 100% genetic basis within their own country, most likely a massive proportion of the country, should be ousted. You hold the most ridiculous and confused ideals.

Your caring for genes and skin colour, rather than contribution to OUR society, is also absolutely absurd, and vile.

Society is a racial construct. Displace the indigenous people enough, and the society will deviate significantly from its original form.

All non-Europeans shall be repatriated form Britain.

You haven't disproven my assertions with regards to “Human Rights”. Of course, I do not believe in doing harm unto other beings unnecessarily whether they're European, African, homosexual, transexual or whatever; the same goes for the mistreatment of animals. However, this is a product of my morality, not because I think they have any “Human Rights”.
You say it as if it holds little or no basis in reality, which is what 'abstraction' means. In that way it is not an abstraction, as human rights and morality are both inbuilt into society and so is morality, at the biological level.

Nature, and society and morality are completely different... Making comparisons to nature is... hilariously wrong and inaccurate.

Nature governs our existence; we are a part of it. Thus those who seek to survive ought to act in accordance with it as best as possible.
Reply 306
I don't feel accepted in this country ... but then again I don't feel as if I need to be. I only speak to a few people most of whom are white british and I wear "western" clothes etc. But I don't really feel as if I need to be accepted. I'm part of a minority and I guess that's where they always want me to be ... I don't care really.

I live in an mixed area which is predominantly asian (subcontinent/desi)/white (NO NOT HOUNSLOW OR HARROW) and I am neither of which but still I don't feel accepted. Maybe I've just got acceptance issues ^_^

Also OP, I'm sorry that happened to you. I know people will scream "free speech" but I never understand people like that who choose to be purposely offensive about the cultural/ethnic background of random strangers.
Wow, that was rather inflammatory. Most of what you said was absolute conjecture.

Firstly, people travel. A whole great deal now. Something is wrong with you if you refuse to be with someone that isn't of your ethnicity. Back in the day, people still travelled.

Quite a few people speak English yes. So? To say I'm not British when I can speak British ostensibly better than you - sounds rather funny to me.

I do not associate with those values, at all. In fact, I am the complete opposite! I meant in the way of existing within the culture, the way things are - people and culture are intertwined.
If Britain has such bad 'culture' then why are you so mindlessly saying people who contribute positively towards 'your' culture are not to be a part of it?

I'm proud to be able to use what our government has provided me with (through university provision) to allow me to contribute in making the country and the world a better place.
(PS. I do have to pay this all back, and then pay tax all of my life. Not to mention doing my bit in other ways.)

Society should be fair, yes. In the West we value egalitarianism quite highly! Though nature is not - obviously, it is very flawed. Just to say bad things happen, like you being racist, doesn't mean that it shouldn't. Thought that distinction be obvious though.

1) Which bits of what I said are “absolute conjecture” and why?

2) People do indeed travel; however, in the past people did not travel as much and nowhere near as freely. Saying that “something is wrong” with me if I do not wish to miscegenate is complete and utter nonsense! We are naturally attracted to our own kind. I have heard COUNTLESS English females say that, “I'm not racist, but I would never date a black man.” So unless if you intend on screaming “RACIST!” at each of these females, then you are quite simply incorrect in your assertion.

3) Speaking English does not make one English. You purport to be able to speak English better than I, and yet you refer to the English language as “British”. Wow. Thus I find it completely apt that you chose to use the adverb “ostensibly” for you have just demonstrated that you cannot speak English better than I whatsoever. Quod erat demonstrandum.

4) Do tell me what you have contributed to my people's culture, and I shall be the judge of whether it was a good or a bad contribution.

5) I could not care less whether you are going to or at university in this country. Your contribution to it, I assume, will be nothing different than the usual. And would you like a gold medal for paying tax just like everyone else has to? Not to mention that tax is not something I'd be “proud” of having to pay, given that the government has quite the habit of wasting it. So I'm sure you are, for example, glad to know that you are subsiding the mass-slaughter and continual displacement of the Palestinian people from their homeland by Israhell. Well done. A marvellous moral feat. Definitely something to be “proud” of.

6) I do not value egalitarianism any more than I do Christinsanity. And how arrogant are you to claim that Nature is “flawed”? What madman could say that the thing by which and within which we exist is “flawed”? Nature is absolutely opposed to egalitarianism because egalitarianism is completely unnatural. So I think you will find that it is egalitarianism that is “flawed”. O no! Lest we be called a “racist”! You are a fool if you think that such a word has any power over me. Shouting it hither and thither will achieve nought.
Original post by Zano282
I don't feel accepted in this country ... but then again I don't feel as if I need to be. I only speak to a few people most of whom are white british and I wear "western" clothes etc. But I don't really feel as if I need to be accepted. I'm part of a minority and I guess that's where they always want me to be ... I don't care really.

I live in an mixed area which is predominantly asian (subcontinent/desi)/white (NO NOT HOUNSLOW OR HARROW) and I am neither of which but still I don't feel accepted. Maybe I've just got acceptance issues ^_^

Also OP, I'm sorry that happened to you. I know people will scream "free speech" but I never understand people like that who choose to be purposely offensive about the cultural/ethnic background of random strangers.

Slough perhaps?
Reply 309
Original post by queen-bee
It was just so shameful,like they would just say the word ethnic 10 times in a sentence on purpose as if to emphasise I'm inferior

The tip ill give you is you should treat racist like you treat bullies. You aren't inferior, so you show them that. They can't hurt you unless you let them.
Most modern racist are just trolls tbh. Show them you don't buy their so called racism, and walk away. Thats the one thing they don't want you to do.

I've been doing a study on this and this is my theory so far. I'm sorry you had that experience though
Reply 310
Original post by Foo.mp3

White-British people (like myself) are now in the minority in my home city (London), although we may still constitute the largest ethnic group, it's little consolation for feeling like a foreigner in your home town :rolleyes:

I'm sorry but White people that think like this need to get over themselves. Non-Whites who are born here have as much right to live here has the White-British population. They invited our parents/grandparents/ancestors to come here you can't now complain after decades that there is too many foreigners.
Original post by al_94
I'm sorry but White people that think like this need to get over themselves. Non-Whites who are born here have as much right to live here has the White-British population. They invited our parents/grandparents/ancestors to come here you can't now complain after decades that there is too many foreigners.

Not a fair response, in London the majority of people don't live there. It's due to tourists that whites are a minority.

And in addition, WE didn't invite anyone, the government did. Not our generation either. S/he is well within their right to feel that way.
Original post by Foo.mp3
That wasn’t terribly British of him now was it? :holmes: Sorry this happened to you OP

These sort of comments that serve as to alienate particular immigrant communities from the rest of the population. If you want to live harmoniously among us, in our land, kindly respect us, our culture and history :top2:

Excuse me?

Perhaps he sees exotic characteristics as a positive :smile:

Generally education can, but it must be accompanied by a cessation of ‘the changing face of Britain’, a level playing field for minorities, change in social identities/enhanced secularity (or else Islamists being asked/made to leave) and related enhanced community integration, and a reduction in related hostilities, and will take time e.g. a few generations

My best mate at school was of Nigerian descent. As far as I know we all conceived of him as British, but then he didn’t have a foreign accent, foreign mannerisms, or much in the way of foreign culture going on..

My conception, in 2012:

Boy, and I thought I was heavy!

You'll find that's generally because the 'terrorists' are following a common (typically professed) ideological 'terrorist' agenda, whereas the white nutters are usually just nutters :borat:

Rule of law + self defence + thick skin + relocation if absolutely necessary

This is termed inter-culturalism, and is associated with intracivilisational 'mixing' e.g. between French and British Canadians in the Canadian model

I’m sure Cleese and I aren’t the only Londoners who feel this way

White-British people (like myself) are now in the minority in my home city (London), although we may still constitute the largest ethnic group, it's little consolation for feeling like a foreigner in your home town :rolleyes:

Higher still and you start to spot trends, look at the facts of the matter, and recognise that tolerance is not a sure-fire recipe for success given human nature. I am from a liberal background, am well educated, intelligent, and was raised in a diverse society. Guess what, I’m also a realist

It is also related to GB being a ‘Great Power’ (historically at least), as it relates directly to languages spoken in international institutions e.g. Bretton Woods (which have their origins in the tail end of The Age of Empire)

It may not have been british of him but I think he was trying to get a point across. I'm a very light skinned arab,some arabs don't even see me as one even and would consider me to be white for this reason. In general,I'm not your usual looking arab but I have these dark/brunette features(the hair and eye brows give it away). Now,this guy approached me with the intention of just making conversation but just by looking at me,no matter how I look,he could tell I was not a native of this land and the fact that I mentioned I was part middle eastern( combined with that day's Paris attacks) did not go down well. He has a point,that no matter how much you can try to fit it will never work. I've accepted this along time ago. As you well know in the past,ive made it clear that I don't really associate with 'natives of this land', maybe it's because I feel like they won't fully be able to understand me than say my arab,russian and italian friends. I Grew up in South kensington all my life and it's pretty mixed here,so it's very rare for me to feel 100% around 'white british people'. You also know ive never dated a native of this land( apart from my last ex, but he identified more with being russian than british and we shared similar values due to my russian heritage), I just feel like if I did it may never last and imagine if his parents are never accepting,especially if they hear the term 'syrian','middle eastern'I just still feel like an outsider in this country even tho I've spent all my entire life here. You will have more in common with say a white girl from Europe,be it North,East,South or west European than with a girl with exotic features who has lavantine heritage. I've had instances in the past where I've actually gotten to know some british guys like yourself and they just don't get my other exotic side and things soon become weird and it's like, a cultural clash and we just end up staying friends instead of ever attempting to take things forward and in one case,the guy actually admitted that I would never work out if he dated a girl from that region of the world anyway( this guy was young and very well educated,yet his parents would never be accepting of outsiders)Also I don't identify italians as being white like France,Germany,Britain,Eastern Europe etc... They're more tanned and abit exotic looking let's just say.
I share the same lifestyle as your average native of the land,same religion,I drink,i party,I don't dress up head to toe but I still don't feel british enough or fully accepted...
Is this even normal?! I know it says I'm british on the passport but i don't always feel that way. I love this country,it's my home,my parent's came all the way from New York and Switzerland just so that they could built a home here and raise me here but I don't know,i still don't feel 100% british.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 313
Original post by Dani California
Not a fair response, in London the majority of people don't live there. It's due to tourists that whites are a minority.

And in addition, WE didn't invite anyone, the government did. Not our generation either. S/he is well within their right to feel that way.

Your ancestors allowed this to happen how can you blame people that were invited to come and live? People like this are all a bunch of White English elitists who blame people of colour for everything.
Original post by al_94
Your ancestors allowed this to happen how can you blame people that were invited to come and live? People like this are all a bunch of White English elitists who blame people of colour for everything.

MY ANCESTORS? My friend, I am half Italian, I assure that my ancestors did no such thing. My papa belongs to this minority group, moved here in the early 1980's and it's been his home ever since. I am not blaming anyone and i'm disgusted by the accusation. Colour has nothing to with this either. I live in a town where there is an infestation of recently emmigrated benefit scrounging Polish people-they are white.
I actually don't care who you are, where you are from, whether you are black, white or ****ing purple. If you pay tax and behave, I love you and wish you peace. It's the people who have more recently emigrated for the sole purpose of the benefit system that piss me off.
Original post by al_94

No, we blame the government and Leftist traitor trash. The foreigners are just pawns of the system.
Original post by Dani California
MY ANCESTORS? My friend, I am half Italian, I assure that my ancestors did no such thing. My papa belongs to this minority group, moved here in the early 1980's and it's been his home ever since. I am not blaming anyone and i'm disgusted by the accusation. Colour has nothing to with this either. I live in a town where there is an infestation of recently emmigrated benefit scrounging Polish people-they are white.
I actually don't care who you are, where you are from, whether you are black, white or ****ing purple. If you pay tax and behave, I love you and wish you peace. It's the people who have more recently emigrated for the sole purpose of the benefit system that piss me off.

My close friend is half-Italian. :smile: Which part of Italy are you from?
Original post by ProudEnglishman
My close friend is half-Italian. :smile: Which part of Italy are you from?
Only Italian by blood i'm afraid. Born and raised in Birmingham. Family are from Naples though.
Original post by Foo.mp3

Generally education can, but it must be accompanied by a cessation of ‘the changing face of Britain’, a level playing field for minorities, change in social identities/enhanced secularity (or else Islamists being asked/made to leave) and related enhanced community integration, and a reduction in related hostilities, and will take time e.g. a few generations

General education is essential, of course. I think integrating parts of black history and the history of all the countries that used to make up Britain's Empire, before colonisation, would make us more concerned.
When you say the "cessation of the changing face of Britain", do you mean the cessation of the term or of the phenomenon? If it's the latter, I'm afraid (glad actually) that it cannot be prevented :smile:
Again, "a level playing field for minorities": between minorities or minorities and white people?
Change in social identities? Again, for us minorities? We need to tone our attitude down because it bothers you?

I'm not sure enhanced secularity is the solution: I'm half French and France is a staunch secular state and I know the problems it can cause (aka, ostracising Muslims).

And yes, it will take time :frown:
Original post by jedanselemyia
General education is essential, of course. I think integrating parts of black history and the history of all the countries that used to make up Britain's Empire, before colonisation, would make us more concerned.
When you say the "cessation of the changing face of Britain", do you mean the cessation of the term or of the phenomenon? If it's the latter, I'm afraid (glad actually) that it cannot be prevented :smile:
Again, "a level playing field for minorities": between minorities or minorities and white people?
Change in social identities? Again, for us minorities? We need to tone our attitude down because it bothers you?

I'm not sure enhanced secularity is the solution: I'm half French and France is a staunch secular state and I know the problems it can cause (aka, ostracising Muslims).

And yes, it will take time :frown:

Thank god I don't live in France,I wouldn't be able to hack it,like seriously.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending