The Student Room Group

RVC Gateway 2015

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone had heard back from RVC about interviews for the Gateway course?
Just got mine for the 4th February!

Scroll to see replies

Just a quick question, if I am not completely eligible for the gateway programme, is it still worth applying?
Reply 2
Original post by Charlotte B
Just a quick question, if I am not completely eligible for the gateway programme, is it still worth applying?

Hey, what do you mean by 'not completely eligible'? If you don't fulfill the minimum requirements, I don't think they'll accept you as their website states that the course is available to students who satisfy the following requirements:

The Veterinary Gateway programme is available to UK students only that satisfy the following specific non-academic requirements:

You must be a UK national who is resident in the UK.

All education you have completed since the age of 11 must have been at a non-selective state school.

AND

You must be currently studying at a non-selective state school and must be predicted to achieve no more than two grades below the standard Gateway entry offer for that qualification. (NB all successful applicants will receive the standard offer for the course, irrespective of their predicted grades)

OR

You must have gained a qualification that meets the standard offer for the Gateway course in the 12 months prior to their application and must have studied, in full, for this qualification at a non-selective state school.

In addition, as a minimum, you must meet at least 3 of the following criteria:

You live in an area with a POLAR3 score of 1 or 2. You can check this via the HEFCE website;

You are a person who has been looked after for at least 13 weeks since the age of 14;

The school at which you took your level 2 qualifications (GCSEs or equivalent) is a school with an RVC contextual flag**;

The school at which you are taking your level 3 qualifications (A-levels or equivalent) is a school with an RVC contextual flag**;

Your parental income (your income in the case of mature students) is less than £25,000 and your parent(s) is in receipt of child tax benefits or another government assessed income award;

You attended the RVC summer school;

You are a refugee;

Your parents did not attend Higher Education.

However, I wasn't sure if i was eligible, so I called the Admissions Office and asked them, so I suggest you do too!
Original post by chansaha
Hey, what do you mean by 'not completely eligible'? If you don't fulfill the minimum requirements, I don't think they'll accept you as their website states that the course is available to students who satisfy the following requirements:

The Veterinary Gateway programme is available to UK students only that satisfy the following specific non-academic requirements:

You must be a UK national who is resident in the UK.

All education you have completed since the age of 11 must have been at a non-selective state school.

AND

You must be currently studying at a non-selective state school and must be predicted to achieve no more than two grades below the standard Gateway entry offer for that qualification. (NB all successful applicants will receive the standard offer for the course, irrespective of their predicted grades)

OR

You must have gained a qualification that meets the standard offer for the Gateway course in the 12 months prior to their application and must have studied, in full, for this qualification at a non-selective state school.

In addition, as a minimum, you must meet at least 3 of the following criteria:

You live in an area with a POLAR3 score of 1 or 2. You can check this via the HEFCE website;

You are a person who has been looked after for at least 13 weeks since the age of 14;

The school at which you took your level 2 qualifications (GCSEs or equivalent) is a school with an RVC contextual flag**;

The school at which you are taking your level 3 qualifications (A-levels or equivalent) is a school with an RVC contextual flag**;

Your parental income (your income in the case of mature students) is less than £25,000 and your parent(s) is in receipt of child tax benefits or another government assessed income award;

You attended the RVC summer school;

You are a refugee;

Your parents did not attend Higher Education.

However, I wasn't sure if i was eligible, so I called the Admissions Office and asked them, so I suggest you do too!

Yeah, the website says that you must have a minimum of three of the criteria. I only have 2, but I will definitely phone them and find out!! Well done on receiving an interview, hope it goes well!!
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone had heard back from RVC about interviews for the Gateway course?
Just got mine for the 4th February!

Hey! I've also applied to the gateway programme, and have my interview on the 25th of February! ahhhh
I'm so nervous, and have no idea what to expect? I don't suppose you have any tips or infomation about what going to be asked of me? Or if I need to bring anything to it?
Thank you very much!
Chantelle x
Reply 5
I havent heard anything back :frown:
has any one got an offer for Gatway??
Haven't heard anything back yet. But we have til the end of March anyway from what they said

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wating is awful 😔 ... Do you have any other offers?
It is by far the worst part. And no, this is the only course I have applied for, what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haven't heard anything either, sick of waiting! I got offers for bio veterinary science and biological sciences at RVC, but won't take them. I only want gateway!
Hey, no just waiting on Rvc 😐
Does anyone know roughly how many people were interview for gateway?
Reply 12
haha sorry forgot to check this, just got my offer!!
haha sorry forgot to check this, just got my offer!!

Same
I've got an offer too! Is it everyone's first choice?
Original post by BiologistLauren
I've got an offer too! Is it everyone's first choice?

Yer Its mine but ive already got my grades so ill def be going :biggrin:
Hi guys, Im looking to apply for the gateway course next year, and was wondering which of the requirements you all have?
I think I fulfil the POLAR3 score, and the contextual school for both GCSE's and A levels, and although my dad went to university, my parents split when I was young and do not live with my dad. Would it still count as having a parent go into higher education?
Well done on your offers though!:smile:
Original post by Caitlin.H
Hi guys, Im looking to apply for the gateway course next year, and was wondering which of the requirements you all have?
I think I fulfil the POLAR3 score, and the contextual school for both GCSE's and A levels, and although my dad went to university, my parents split when I was young and do not live with my dad. Would it still count as having a parent go into higher education?
Well done on your offers though!:smile:

Hi, I fitted in with these categories: POLAR3 area, contextual school for GCSEs and A-Levels, parents earn under £25,000 (I only live with one parent but it still counts) and my parents didn't go to uni. I had 5/8 so it seems like you've got a good shot at it they normally only look at what the circumstances of the parent you are living with are but you should probably ring up and check because I'm not 100% sure
Original post by PhilCaldwell
Yer Its mine but ive already got my grades so ill def be going :biggrin:

It's my firm and I think I'll get the grades (fingers crossed anyway) are you applying for accommodation?
Original post by BiologistLauren
It's my firm and I think I'll get the grades (fingers crossed anyway) are you applying for accommodation?

Yer how about you?

Quick Reply

Latest