The Student Room Group

Do we all share the same soul?

If we all have souls then how did we come to acquire them? Because assuming before the universe came into existence there were no souls, a soul or millions of them must have suddenly emerged at the same time as the Big Bang. I'd assume it would have only been one in which case when the first organisms divided and everything the soul would have also somehow gotten into the offspring so does the soul divide , do you get half your soul from each parent?? I remember reading a quote somewhere saying we do not have souls we are souls and we have a body, if this is true where do these souls come into play with the Big Bang, where do souls come from? I'm not even sure what I'm saying hopefully someone can mind read this nonsense I'm writing, I am too bored

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What makes you think we have souls?
We do have souls otherwise how can u say that a person is dead what makes our bodies work ? The souls are the thing that makes your body works. And a dead person wight is different when he/she is alive. I am a believer . I hope to read more answers too
NO.
No more or less than drops of water share the same ocean
Original post by william walker
NO.

I am overcome by your reasoning. Give me a few minutes to assimilate your complex argument.

Ok, I disagree :tongue:
Original post by aaronlowe
I am overcome by your reasoning. Give me a few minutes to assimilate your complex argument.

Ok, I disagree :tongue:

Anglicanism. Read into it for my argument about the soul.
Original post by william walker
Anglicanism. Read into it for my argument about the soul.

he word Anglican originates in ecclesia anglicana, a medieval Latin phrase dating to at least 1246 that means the English Church.

Weird, I always thought it meant a belief in angels for some reason. Must be my dyslexia.

I could read the wikipedia page on it but it seems so impersonal. Can you sum up what Anglicanism means to you in one sentence so I can understand where you're coming from?
If you shout 'our soul' from the bus the other will invariably call back with it. Life affirming, really. And cheering to know that you've brought that into someone's day.
Original post by cambio wechsel
If you shout 'our soul' from the bus the other will invariably call back with it. Life affirming, really. And cheering to know that you've brought that into someone's day.

"Wherever there is two or more there you will find me" - God.
Original post by Sarah1991 ara
We do have souls otherwise how can u say that a person is dead what makes our bodies work ? The souls are the thing that makes your body works. And a dead person wight is different when he/she is alive. I am a believer . I hope to read more answers too

Because Biology is all about the soul, right?
Original post by localblackguy
Because Biology is all about the soul, right?

Of course not
he word Anglican originates in ecclesia anglicana, a medieval Latin phrase dating to at least 1246 that means the English Church.

Weird, I always thought it meant a belief in angels for some reason. Must be my dyslexia.

I could read the wikipedia page on it but it seems so impersonal. Can you sum up what Anglicanism means to you in one sentence so I can understand where you're coming from?

https://www.churchofengland.org/prayer-worship/worship/book-of-common-prayer/articles-of-religion.aspx

Sorry but I think mixing royal interests with religion is innappropriate given their fundamentally conflicting aims.
Sorry but I think mixing royal interests with religion is innappropriate given their fundamentally conflicting aims.

What? The Monarchy and Church must be linked for them both to be and remain established.
Original post by Sarah1991 ara
We do have souls otherwise how can u say that a person is dead what makes our bodies work ?

Oh, I don't know - maybe something like a heartbeat? :|

And a dead person wight is different when he/she is alive

Yes, people get lighter when they die because they leak all sorts of fluids - unless of course, you're referring to emptying bowel movements as "the soul leaving the body"
Original post by Another

Yes, people get lighter when they die because they leak all sorts of fluids - unless of course, you're referring to emptying bowel movements as "the soul leaving the body"

....no, but there have been experiments done weighing people before and after their death that found that the same amount of weight had consistently been lost (like the 21g study)....surely not everyone has the same amount of fluids to lose?
Reply 17
Original post by channies
If we all have souls then how did we come to acquire them? Because assuming before the universe came into existence there were no souls, a soul or millions of them must have suddenly emerged at the same time as the Big Bang. I'd assume it would have only been one in which case when the first organisms divided and everything the soul would have also somehow gotten into the offspring so does the soul divide , do you get half your soul from each parent?? I remember reading a quote somewhere saying we do not have souls we are souls and we have a body, if this is true where do these souls come into play with the Big Bang, where do souls come from? I'm not even sure what I'm saying hopefully someone can mind read this nonsense I'm writing, I am too bored

Posted from TSR Mobile

souls don't exist
Original post by channies

Posted from TSR Mobile

We're just beginning to study dualism (we have a body and a soul) and materialism (we just have a body) in A2 Religious Studies...so sorry if this is a little rusty, I'm just thinking aloud!

Um..about souls needing to exist before the big bang: you could say the same thing about the number of bodies and there's an increasing population so perhaps, as with bodies, souls don't have to pre-date the coming into existence of the universe in order to be?

If souls are to be seen as intangible then they don't need to be produced in the reproductive process in the same way that the rest of our bodies are. There's all sorts of ideas about the nature of the soul-Plato, (a dualist) for instance, has argued that souls exist in the world of the Forms before coming down and being implanted into a body. Richard Dawkins (a materialist) has, as you said completely dismissed the concept of a soul, saying: "There is no spirit-driven life force...life is jut bytes and bytes of digital information". Buddhists are sort of in between of the two, believing that we're all made up of five aggregates (body, perception, sensation, mental formations and consciousness NOTE, none of these are a soul) rather than simply a body and a soul and these are reconstituted into new sentient beings when we are reborn.. So it really does depend!
Original post by Jess_x
....no, but there have been experiments done weighing people before and after their death that found that the same amount of weight had consistently been lost (like the 21g study)....surely not everyone has the same amount of fluids to lose?

Have you even read that study before?

1) Sample size was a grand total of six. That's no where near enough for any sort of valid scientific conclusion
2) 21 grams of weight loss was recorded on one body. One. Two of the six didn't even change weight at all, and one of them lost weight - then gained it again, then lost it again...
3) No other scientist has ever been able to reproduce these findings.

Latest