The Student Room Group

Tricky situation - wanting to study medicine

Any help on this would be appreciated:
I went into college without any real career path. Because of this i thought it would be best to pick a mix of subjects, English Lang/Lit, Sociology, Psychology, Music. I'm now in my second year, nearing the end of it, predicted AAB. However recently I've become aware that i miss science, which i always found interesting, and would like to pursue a career within medicine. (A tad late to come to this realisation i will agree). I also realise that with my current A levels this is probably not possible. However is it possible that i can remain at college 2 extra years to pick up different A levels? And if so, would that hinder my chances of getting into medicine. I realise that following the career isn't something that just anyone can do, and it will take considerable work and dedication on my part. I would just like to know if this is possible. Thank you.
Many people stay a third year at college/sixthform but it may be that you have to attend an adult college if you're planning on another two years in education. In this case, you may have to pay to go and do more A-Levels. The alternative is to self-teach and take exams as a private candidate, but with the sciences involving practical assessments, this can be difficult to arrange.
Reply 2
Original post by Paralove
Many people stay a third year at college/sixthform but it may be that you have to attend an adult college if you're planning on another two years in education. In this case, you may have to pay to go and do more A-Levels. The alternative is to self-teach and take exams as a private candidate, but with the sciences involving practical assessments, this can be difficult to arrange.

I'll be under 19 when i enroll, if i were to enroll again. I don't know if i would get the two years free, seeing as i'd be under 19 on enrollment. :s-smilie:
Original post by Tangelo
I'll be under 19 when i enroll, if i were to enroll again. I don't know if i would get the two years free, seeing as i'd be under 19 on enrollment. :s-smilie:

Have a look online properly for this, but I'm pretty sure education is free til you're 19. So you'd likely get one year free but the second not, and due to age the college may/may not let you stay on the last year - you would have to ask them directly, even to see if they will let you stay at all.
Original post by Paralove
Have a look online properly for this, but I'm pretty sure education is free til you're 19. So you'd likely get one year free but the second not, and due to age the college may/may not let you stay on the last year - you would have to ask them directly, even to see if they will let you stay at all.

I went to college after completing my a-levels, and i got both years free. I was 18 when i started and 20 by the time i finished the course. Usually as long as you are under 19 when you enrol, then the full course is free.
Reply 5
Original post by Emma:-)
I went to college after completing my a-levels, and i got both years free. I was 18 when i started and 20 by the time i finished the course. Usually as long as you are under 19 when you enrol, then the full course is free.

That's my exact situation :smile:
Original post by Tangelo
That's my exact situation :smile:

You should get both years free then.
As you have no science subjects at all, have you considered taking a Foundation Year? Provided you get AAB+, I believe you are eligible for some of the foundation year programmes.

Quick Reply

Latest