The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jenuinemisspelt
Subject: Classics IIA
College: Wadham
Outcome: Open Offer!!!!
Conditions: AAA, with A in English Literature and History
How did you hear? (email/letter/phone/owl): Got a rejection email from Lady Margaret Hall first of all yesterday and got really stressed out over it even though it said it was likely another college would make an offer!! Then an LMH letter to confirm the email and a letter from Wadham today with my offer and conditions!
How do you feel? Exhausted after panicking so much yesterday. But relieved and excited too. :smile:

Name: Jen
Country / hometown: Londonderry, Northern Ireland

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah you're from Northern Ireland?! I was interviewed at Wadham and PPE and Classics overlapped! I'm from Co.Down!
I got an Open Offer so not sure of which college I'll end up at.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Abi790
Ive got an offer from Hertford for Biochemistry, I'm from Caldicot!

Welsh biochemistry? Oh my mate Chris will be happy...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 222
Original post by fluteflute
I'm curious as to what others think about this - did you find the somewhat lengthy stay in Oxford stressful, or did you not particularly mind?

I absolutely loved it - I didn't feel stressed at all, which at first sounds a bit weird, but I think it's because I never really expected to get any further anyway, so I was just happy to have made it as far as an interview! Plus, all of the people at St John's did everything they could to make the applicants feel at home from the second we arrived. As well as this, I've been reading about the admissions process online/from the proscpectus for a good few years now, so there weren't any surprises - there seems to be this belief that Oxford make the whole process highly obscure and unpredictable, but I didn't find this to be the case at all: the tutors want you to be able to perform at your best :smile: It also helped that my RS teacher (who is also the early entry tutor for my school) forbade me from doing any more preparation for my interview whilst I was at St John's, because really all it does is make you stressed for no reason. This meant that I spent a lot of the time happliy exploring the college (hence why I managed to get lost in the gardens [during the daytime by the way :wink: ]) and the town (I managed to eat two Ben's cookies and a G&D's ice cream before I left :biggrin: ). After all this settling in, I practically went skipping into my French interview (so much so that I was worried they'd think I was a bit crzay to be honest) without feeling at all nervous. The only time I ever felt stressed was the second I saw the notice on the board saying 'You are free to leave Oxford', because I instantly assumed that it meant that I was so bad that they were sending me home without giving me another chance through an extra interview. I consequently assumed that that would be the last time I would ever visit Oxford with the possibility of a permanent stay. This last point is interesting, because over the three days that I stayed at St John's, I had managed to get to the point where I felt like I fit in and belonged there for the first time since I thought about applying to Oxford; it was always a far-away dream until the notice on the board made me realise how far I had actually managed to get and how upset I would be if I couldn't study there. In terms of the lengthy stay, one of the main reasons for me being sad was because I was told I could leave early! I would have been extremely happy to have stayed the extra two days plus a few more :biggrin:
If I'm curious about my admission test score, should I email the Tutor for Admissions (as the website says) or the actual tutor that will teach me? If the Tutor for Admissions will ask the actual tutor for the scores, then I'd rather trouble fewer people I guess.
I'm curious as to what others think about this - did you find the somewhat lengthy stay in Oxford stressful, or did you not particularly mind?

Let's be honest. If people were too overwhelmed/stressed with the interview process, they're going to have a fun 3+ years here...
Original post by Noble.
Let's be honest. If people were too overwhelmed/stressed with the interview process, they're going to have a fun 3+ years here...

Respectfully, I disagree with your phrasing since you seem to imply that anyone stressed by interviews will not enjoy their time at Oxford. Interviews really stressed out some of the other lawyers in my year. While they have found this term stressful, they can cope with it and find it fun (in a non-sarcastic manner) at the same time.

However I concede that people so stressed by interviews to the point where they cry or have a panic attack or something similar are not likely to enjoy their time at Oxford.
Original post by amol_chalis447
Respectfully, I disagree with your phrasing since you seem to imply that anyone stressed by interviews will not enjoy their time at Oxford. Interviews really stressed out some of the other lawyers in my year. While they have found this term stressful, they can cope with it and find it fun (in a non-sarcastic manner) at the same time.

However I concede that people so stressed by interviews to the point where they cry or have a panic attack or something similar are not likely to enjoy their time at Oxford.

Obviously it's healthy to be nervous/stressed about interviews, to a certain point; there's a fine line though.

(you'd probably be surprised by how many applicants cry in interviews)
Reply 227
Who received an offer for Engineering from Wadham College?

I had a skype interview so I didn't have to worry about the lengthy stay. Though I wish I had been able to visit Oxford in person. If you are rejected, you might as well enjoy your stay as long as it lasts. But still, my interview was stressful. I was given only one skype interview and 3 minutes into the interview, my webcam stopped working. I started panicking but the tutor told me not to worry and just focus on answering the questions. So basically, I attended my interview with a headset only. After the interview, I was sure I would be rejected as my camera didn't work and the interview was very impersonal. Also, being given only a single interview, I thought the tutors had already made up their mind to reject me. Still, I guess miracles do happen.
Original post by AKell17
Welsh biochemistry? Oh my mate Chris will be happy...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep!! Haha :smile:
Original post by gyorfianna
Wow, why am I not surprised you are going to study psychology and philosophy?

...lol? :^)
Reply 231
For some reason, I can't reply to a person's comment because it needs to be 'at least 2 characters long' even though I practically wrote an essay as a response!?

Anyway this is a reply to simba_n's reply to my original comment.

Wow that sounds as though you really made the most of it and really had a good time of it :smile:
Thanks a lot :biggrin:I'll be applying for maths. But I guess the thing is that I'm not that intelligent so to speak, I just work really hard. And even then I got 6A* and 5As at GCSE, which I'm really really proud of, but when I moved from a sports college to a grammar school, people were like meh. And people at my new school seem to be really really amazing like some got into BMO1, whereas I was considered in the top 5 students at my last school and I only ever got a bronze in Maths challenge :redface:

Enough of my rant! So what course you doing? Are you doing A-levels or other qualifications? Are you into other stuff too? eg sport, music
Name: Kai
Subject: History & Politics
College: Jesus
Outcome: Unconditional Offer
Conditions: AAAA/A
How did you hear? (email/letter/phone/owl): Messenger
How do you feel?
So I got the news on the last day of a military exercise, having been digging fire trenches continuously without sleep for the last five days. I was so ecstatic!! But wayyy too exhausted to even comprehend what just happened. Just managed a single whoop with my rifle over my head! :biggrin: Unfortunately I'll only be able to join in 2016, but hey, I'M AN OXFORD KID NOW. I actually don't know a single thing about my College, so it'd be pretty great if someone could tell me.
Reply 233
Original post by Idontknowi
Personally I enjoyed it. I am a EU student, so to fly to England only to stay a day only wouldn't have been too convenient. Three days gave me a feel of Oxford, left me time to get to know the other lovely applicants, to wander about the city. And when else am I going to get free food and accommodation in one of the prettiest cities in the UK?

I'm a UK applicant, but otherwise I feel exactly the same. As my main target was to reach the interview stage, I treated it as a once in a lifetime opportunity to enjoy a couple of days in a beautiful city free of charge, with the chance to speak to some of the most intelligent people I'll ever meet. As it happens I did secure an offer, but even if I'd been rejected the interview process was still an amazing experience for me - especially seeing as it was my first stay away from home!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had worried so much before the interview period that by the time I actually got to Oxford I was too tired to get particularly stressed. I didn't really take part in any of the college activities because that's not really my thing, but I did wander around Oxford quite a bit which was nice and spent quite a bit of time in the Natural History Museum (wanted to go to the Museum of the History of Science but it was closed). So overall it wasn't a bad stay, can't say it was particularly exciting (not as good as UNIQ!) but it wasn't stressful or inconvenient. My friend told me all the work we had to do so I could get most of it done so I wasn't behind which helped.

Original post by Noble.
Obviously it's healthy to be nervous/stressed about interviews, to a certain point; there's a fine line though.

Really? That's so sad ):
I have an offer for Spanish and Linguistics at St Peter's! Anyone else for St Peter's?
French and linguistics at new
Original post by Noble.

I wonder how many of those get offers...
Original post by amol_chalis447
I wonder how many of those get offers...

Not many I'd imagine. Probably the same people who come out crying after collections :lol:
Original post by Noble.
Not many I'd imagine. Probably the same people who come out crying after collections :lol:

In all fairness I imagine the latter group is quite large :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending