The Student Room Group

Rejected AGAIN. Is taking the piss now.

Right. Have posted previously about struggling to find work. Graduated in 2012 with a music degree from a Russell league uni. I quit/ was fired from a job in October (was from a ****ty sports retailer, so no issues there). I am also still unable to drive, due to continuing medical issues (seizures). See my previous thread for more info. I had an interview this week actually RELATED to my degree subject (admin job at a musical instrument retailer). Yet I didn't get it. It is actually taking the piss now.

No trolling please.
Sorry to hear; and with the seizures too.
What work experience do you have, and what is your degree classification?
You didn't give any information other than it being a Russel - which only really lends a hand.
Reply 2
Original post by J-SP
If you quit (without working your notice) or worse, if you were fired, then employers can be a little hesitant in hiring people. They are concerned your either not up to the job (if fired) or that you will quit again.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got a 2:1 from Lancaster. Well I didn't tell them I'd been fired, I told them I quit. I was only getting very limited hours on a zero hour contract anyway.
How about looking at this from the other direction.You're an employer reading your CV: Music degree, fired from last job, previous experience presumably limited to working for a sports shop. Why would you employ you if you were an employer?

- Regardless of the type of employment, being fired looks bad - probably moreso if it was from a temporary, 'trivial' or unskilled job where it may seem to the person reading that you got fired in a job which wasn't complex or demanding anyway.

- Music degrees are nice, but like a hell of a lot of degrees today, don't really mean anything at all to an employer - especially if it's for a job that involves anything that's not directly music-related. And administration that happens to be in a music shop is not directly music-related.

- Have you got other administration-related jobs on your CV? As in, invoicing, ordering, formal correspondence, rota-management, etc? If not, chances are that another applicant has, and looks better.

And even then, there may well have been anywhere from 1-20 other applicants, one, some or all of whom might have had better CVs than you, or interviewed better, or both. It's not taking the piss; they don't have some responsibility to employ you just because you applied with an acceptable CV. Obviously it's very frustrating from your point of view, but if you look at the matter as being some great injustice or 'taking the piss', you're not going to get anywhere. You're not entitled to a job with them.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Phipp91
Right. Have posted previously about struggling to find work. Graduated in 2012 with a music degree from a Russell league uni. I quit/ was fired from a job in October (was from a ****ty sports retailer, so no issues there). I am also still unable to drive, due to continuing medical issues (seizures). See my previous thread for more info. I had an interview this week actually RELATED to my degree subject (admin job at a musical instrument retailer). Yet I didn't get it. It is actually taking the piss now.

No trolling please.

You might know your stuff from the music side of things but you've said this is an admin job you applied for. What skills and experience do you have in administration?
Reply 5
Original post by Phipp91

No trolling please.

I don't see what's taking the piss. You're a pretty poor candidate.

You've got a bad attitude, poor record of employment and a hatful of excuses.

You've got to change all that before you get anywhere.
Reply 6
Original post by Friar Chris
How about looking at this from the other direction.You're an employer reading your CV: Music degree, fired from last job, previous experience presumably limited to working for a sports shop. Why would you employ you if you were an employer?

- Regardless of the type of employment, being fired looks bad - probably moreso if it was from a temporary, 'trivial' or unskilled job where it may seem to the person reading that you got fired in a job which wasn't complex or demanding anyway.

- Music degrees are nice, but like a hell of a lot of degrees today, don't really mean anything at all to an employer - especially if it's for a job that involves anything that's not directly music-related. And administration that happens to be in a music shop is not directly music-related.

- Have you got other administration-related jobs on your CV? As in, invoicing, ordering, formal correspondence, rota-management, etc? If not, chances are that another applicant has, and looks better.

And even then, there may well have been anywhere from 1-20 other applicants, one, some or all of whom might have had better CVs than you, or interviewed better, or both. It's not taking the piss; they don't have some responsibility to employ you just because you applied with an acceptable CV. Obviously it's very frustrating from your point of view, but if you look at the matter as being some great injustice or 'taking the piss', you're not going to get anywhere. You're not entitled to a job with them.

Yes I do have administrative experience. I gained it in my time in the Business development work experience, and even have a strong, written reference. I have paid office admin experience too (though I was fired from that too). Looks good huh? Maybe I should just accept the fact I'm unemployable, kill myself and do the world a favour, from having to employ a useless arts-degree waste of space like me.
Original post by Phipp91

No trolling please.

It's not really uncommon to find graduates in your position. You have a degree that isn't particularly demanded and a lack of work experience.

Which sector do you want to go into?

Lets assume it's consulting. Start by obtaining work experience at a couple of small local consulting firms on an informal basis rather than going straight for formal internships at large companies. Build up your experience in that area.

Then apply to smaller firms for jobs rather than the big ones. It will be slightly less competitive.

Also, last time I checked, Lancaster wasn't a Russell Group.

Good luck!
Original post by Phipp91
Yes I do have administrative experience. I gained it in my time in the Business development work experience, and even have a strong, written reference. I have paid office admin experience too (though I was fired from that too). Looks good huh? Maybe I should just accept the fact I'm unemployable, kill myself and do the world a favour, from having to employ a useless arts-degree waste of space like me.

Hang in there. I know it is frustrating. You are not unemployable, you're obviously educated and ambitious. The only advice I can give you is to look at internships at the same time as you are applying for paid work.
Reply 9
I have a music degree and when I wanted to work, I started teaching the piano firstly at home then I went into schools. In September I'm going to train to become a secondary teacher.

Have you considered teaching? You could do primary, secondary or private/instrumental.
You could look into graduate schemes that accept candidates from any discipline ... There are an awful lot of them.
You could do a conversion course.
You can start doing an internship in a completely unrelated business area.
Do some volunteering.
Work in retail and work your way up.

There's a whole load of opportunities out there ... you just need to find them, apply to them and repeat the process until you find a job you love.

Don't give up, because jobs are not going to come to you, you have to go to them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by CM19
I have a music degree and when I wanted to work, I started teaching the piano firstly at home then I went into schools. In September I'm going to train to become a secondary teacher.

Have you considered teaching? You could do primary, secondary or private/instrumental.
You could look into graduate schemes that accept candidates from any discipline ... There are an awful lot of them.
You could do a conversion course.
You can start doing an internship in a completely unrelated business area.
Do some volunteering.
Work in retail and work your way up.

There's a whole load of opportunities out there ... you just need to find them, apply to them and repeat the process until you find a job you love.

Don't give up, because jobs are not going to come to you, you have to go to them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I very much appreciate the advice, but I've decided I don't really want to go into teaching. I'm trying to apply for cruise ship work for the time being, while looking round of IT courses if I don't get that.
Move abroad, way more opportunities outside the UK. Nicer people and probably lower cost of living too.
Reply 12
Original post by Phipp91

No trolling please.

Out of interest why did you get fired from your two jobs?

It's frustrating not to get offered anything for a while, but consider the fact that you may be up against really strong candidates, and also have a good look over your CV and think about your typical interview style and answers to see what you can tweak. Don't take it personally if you don't get hired, you just need to look at where there's room for improvement on your part.

PS I'm writing this whilst looking for a grad job myself, and I went through the whole of school and college applying for tons of part time work before I got anything, so I understand it's difficult
Reply 13
Original post by abc:)
Out of interest why did you get fired from your two jobs?

It's frustrating not to get offered anything for a while, but consider the fact that you may be up against really strong candidates, and also have a good look over your CV and think about your typical interview style and answers to see what you can tweak. Don't take it personally if you don't get hired, you just need to look at where there's room for improvement on your part.

PS I'm writing this whilst looking for a grad job myself, and I went through the whole of school and college applying for tons of part time work before I got anything, so I understand it's difficult

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated! :smile:

I mean, they replied with a very kind email, saying I interviewed very well, and not to be disheartened. Apparently I was down to the final few. Before I went into the interview, I noticed a man a lot older than me, (early 40s?) so yeah, definitely more experienced people than me there.

I was fired from my first job, because I simply wasn't well at the time, was on old medication for my seizures. It just meant I couldn't concentrate very well. Second job, even they weren't too sure. Apparently I just wasn't the right fit for the company? :confused:
Reply 14
Original post by Phipp91
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated! :smile:

I mean, they replied with a very kind email, saying I interviewed very well, and not to be disheartened. Apparently I was down to the final few. Before I went into the interview, I noticed a man a lot older than me, (early 40s?) so yeah, definitely more experienced people than me there.

I was fired from my first job, because I simply wasn't well at the time, was on old medication for my seizures. It just meant I couldn't concentrate very well. Second job, even they weren't too sure. Apparently I just wasn't the right fit for the company? :confused:

It's true you mustn't be disheartened - maybe you should try and get some more work experience as that can never hurt, or also get someone you know who's good at that kind of thing to read your CV / applications and make sure you're selling yourself well? And get them to help you with interview prep?
Also make sure you have good reasons to explain why you were fired from your jobs so that it doesn't make you look bad, as I think that could really harm your chances.

Mainly just keep on trying and you'll get something eventually!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending