The Student Room Group

Deadly gun attack in Paris: Global reactions & discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Qari
oh that makes sense, I guess everyone else knew of the one open channel.

Also, at one point one of the BBC reporters tried to move a bit closer and the signal started cutting out so they moved back to where they were (and where all the other journalists were) so it would make sense.

Original post by Qari
just because you're not a fan of it doesn't give you the right to call it silly.

I think all religions are silly though, Islam just seems to be one that causes more problems than the others.
Original post by Qari
I have one question. Isn't it stupid to broadcast what is happening outside the shop whilst the hostage takers are inside I mean they'll be able to see everything?

There will be a delay on the footage.
Reply 1022
Original post by Qari
just because you're not a fan of it doesn't give you the right to call it silly.

You are right. Its existence gives him the right to call it silly.
There was at least 6 hostages shown escaping from the supermarket, so if any have died/been injured then there must have been more in there than the media suspected.

Edit: Reports suggesting that 4 hostages have been killed - Reuters, according to a police source.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1025
Original post by UniMastermindBOSS
Also, at one point one of the BBC reporters tried to move a bit closer and the signal started cutting out so they moved back to where they were (and where all the other journalists were) so it would make sense.

I think all religions are silly though, Islam just seems to be one that causes more problems than the others.

ah so they had a signal jammer covering a certain patch of area thanks.
doesn't matter what you think others don't. you should respect others belief/view like these cartoonists i didn't like what they did but i respected that it was their right to do so even if i disagreed

Original post by DiddyDec
There will be a delay on the footage.

could be. I think it's what the other guy said though
Original post by Qari
could be. I think it's what the other guy said though

They do it with all live footage in case something horrific happens like a bomb going off and killing everyone. It gives them time to cut the broadcast. They even do it with live sport broadcasting.
Reply 1027
They do it with all live footage in case something horrific happens like a bomb going off and killing everyone. It gives them time to cut the broadcast. They even do it with live sport broadcasting.

do they didn't know that?

That's a 2010 statistic from a PEW study. I'd guess it's closer to 10%, especially with the inclusion of those of a "Muslim culture".

And another source puts it at 10%

France’s Muslim population has reached an estimated 6.5 million roughly 10 per cent of the population and many of them have assimilated poorly. Despite the billions of euros poured into immigrant-dominated “sensitive urban zones” since the riots of 2005, nothing has improved. Youth unemployment in these areas is upward of 40 per cent, according to The Economist. Sixty per cent of France’s prison inmates are of “Muslim religion or culture,” and the prisons have become breeding grounds for radicalization.
Reply 1029
Original post by ParasiteRex
That's a 2010 statistic from a PEW study. I'd guess it's closer to 10%, especially with the inclusion of those of a "Muslim culture".

And another source puts it at 10%

so there's no real statistic
Original post by Qari
do they didn't know that?

You can't be too careful. I think for sports it is in case of streakers. You can't show a naked person before the watershed.
Original post by Qari
. you should respect others belief/view

That is nonsense. I respect your right to believe what you like but if you choose to believe nonsense then I won't respect you for it, and I have the right to ridicule that belief. All superstitious beliefs are worthy of ridicule.
Reply 1032
Original post by Dexa
Well done to French special forces in the warehouse operation. Really well executed. Although it was stupid of the brothers to "come out" firing...but then again such people are inherently stupid by nature.

I guarantee you it (the police operation) will turn out to have been a complete amateur botch job. The frogs are completely incompetent.
Reply 1033
Original post by Clip
I guarantee you it (the police operation) will turn out to have been a complete amateur botch job. The frogs are completely incompetent.

Look's like we got a keyboard warrior over here. Why don't you go and resolve a hostage situation.
Reply 1034
Original post by Qari
so there's no real statistic

Ethnic statistics is forbidden in France.
http://mic.com/articles/107988/the-hero-of-the-charlie-hebdo-shooting-we-re-overlooking

I agree that mas murders are never justified. What drives me crazy, as an european and a chrisitian is the mockery that islamic religion has faced FOR YEARS in europe. And frankly, I think this issue is far larger than this attack. I know that western countries are sick of immigrants, but they come from colonies so deal with it - not a valid point I know but it is historically hypocritical....
Terrorism is unacceptable and no one deserves to be murdered.
But I don't see the point in mocking other religions.
Never had I heard a muslim/middle east publication mock christianity - they don't agree with it, but they don't make others feel like crap for believing in what they do. At least they take their religion very seriously, something europeans don't do anymore - not that I do, I'm just saying from this point of view, I respect muslims.
There are 5-6 MILLIONS muslims in France, why mock all of them just to annoy terrorists(because the magazine knew people were angry at them and didn't stop). Can someone explain me what those drawings mean aside from shaming 6 million people- only in France, worldwide who knows?- for their belief?

Again, I feel terribly sorry for the victims of terrorism but I do not agree that the publication is seen as a freedom of speech martyr - in my opinion, they abused the freedom of speech and those drawing are extremely offensive and hurtful.
Muslim leaders are condemning these atrocities but that’s hardly sufficient. What are they doing in between? For all we know they’re blowing themselves up at bus garages.
Reply 1037
Original post by Dexa
Look's like we got a keyboard warrior over here. Why don't you go and resolve a hostage situation.

You've been busy congratulating people for a job well done, before you know it's a job well done.
Original post by Clip

If it was Britain they'd have been arrested, sent to prison and released after serving half their sentence. Whilst their family were given a £5 million house to live in - at the expense of the taxpayer of course.
Reply 1039
You can't be too careful. I think for sports it is in case of streakers. You can't show a naked person before the watershed.

ah good point yh public indeceny can't show it too kids

Original post by Good bloke
That is nonsense. I respect your right to believe what you like but if you choose to believe nonsense then I won't respect you for it, and I have the right to ridicule that belief. All superstitious beliefs are worthy of ridicule.

so you only respect certain beliefs. so do you believe that we are evolved from apes or don't you believe that?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending