The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

The UCL PPE thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Hi everyone,

As it's the first year that UCL are running PPE, and as I've seen a whole bunch of people stressing about offers on the official UCL thread, I thought it would be an opportune moment to start our very own UCL PPE thread. Gone are the days of using the search function or scrawling through thread after thread to find any precious scrap of information about offers or stream choices.

So, who's got information, an offer, any updates on their portico? When did you apply? how much contact have you had with UCL? have you had any problems with your portico?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by Dprince
Hi everyone,

As it's the first year that UCL are running PPE, and as I've seen a whole bunch of people stressing about offers on the official UCL thread, I thought it would be an opportune moment to start our very own UCL PPE thread. Gone are the days of using the search function or scrawling through thread after thread to find any precious scrap of information about offers or stream choices.

So, who's got information, an offer, any updates on their portico? When did you apply? how much contact have you had with UCL? have you had any problems with your portico?

Hey! Thought I'd get the ball rolling. I applied on the 10th of October, they contacted my school, not me, about 3 weeks after that to ask for the bandings of my predicted grades (Scottish Advanced Highers). I haven't heard from them since, and my portico is stuck on "Application Received." My hopes are firmly low on the ground. Anyone else heard anything?
Reply 82
Original post by LevCrofts
Hey! Thought I'd get the ball rolling. I applied on the 10th of October, they contacted my school, not me, about 3 weeks after that to ask for the bandings of my predicted grades (Scottish Advanced Highers). I haven't heard from them since, and my portico is stuck on "Application Received." My hopes are firmly low on the ground. Anyone else heard anything?

Let's roll this ball :biggrin:

I applied around that time too, from England so no contact regarding banding. My Portico is stuck on Application Received as is a friend of mine who's applied from Melbourne so if your hopes are low just because of that I wouldn't be too worried.

I rang UCL last night and they said they had a large amount of applications but are working on it so we can hopefully get some news from them soon!

I've heard of some people getting emails about choice of stream but I haven't got anything?:rolleyes:
Reply 83
Hey Guys!
I applied of the 27th of September and haven't heard a word. My portico is also on application received and except for the fact that they received my application, they haven't contacted me about anything.
Also I'm from India :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
If it isn't too intrusive, what kind of grades did people get/are predicted? And what reading did they put in their PS? :smile:
Reply 85
If it isn't too intrusive, what kind of grades did people get/are predicted? And what reading did they put in their PS? :smile:

I got AAA in my A levels and didn't put any reading in my PS. Partially because I'd applied to Oxford and didn't want them to ask me about it in my interviews haha!
Original post by Dprince
I got AAA in my A levels and didn't put any reading in my PS. Partially because I'd applied to Oxford and didn't want them to ask me about it in my interviews haha!

Oh, are you applying after a gap year or is that predicted?

Haha, fair enough. :wink:
Hey I'm applying in my gap year too and applied in October. Where else have people on this thread applied to for ppe?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 88
Oh, are you applying after a gap year or is that predicted?

Haha, fair enough. :wink:

I'm applying during my gap year!

How are your grades/predicteds?
Reply 89
Original post by Teddysmith123
Hey I'm applying in my gap year too and applied in October. Where else have people on this thread applied to for ppe?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oxford, UCL, KCL, Nottingham, Bristol (EconPol).

Unconditionals from Nottingham & Bristol and rejection from Oxford:rolleyes:
Original post by Dprince
I'm applying during my gap year!

How are your grades/predicteds?

I'm Scottish, so we do Highers and Advanced Highers. Highers are pretty much directly equivalent to AS-levels and Advanced Highers are a bit harder than A-levels but we do fewer of them. :smile:

I did English, Maths, Physics, Politics (Modern Studies), History and Economics (had to do Economics self study in my spare time at home as people can't really do more than 5 timetabled) for Higher and I got 6As. I'm predicted for 3As (all at band one - A* equivalent I suppose) in English, Maths and History this year. :smile: Sorry for all the weird grade conversions. :wink:
I'm Scottish, so we do Highers and Advanced Highers. Highers are pretty much directly equivalent to AS-levels and Advanced Highers are a bit harder than A-levels but we do fewer of them. :smile:

I did English, Maths, Physics, Politics (Modern Studies), History and Economics (had to do Economics self study in my spare time at home as people can't really do more than 5 timetabled) for Higher and I got 6As. I'm predicted for 3As (all at band one - A* equivalent I suppose) in English, Maths and History this year. :smile: Sorry for all the weird grade conversions. :wink:

Sorry, I should probably explain bandings. If you get an A you can get an upper A (called band one) or a lower A (band two). :smile:
Reply 92
Sorry, I should probably explain bandings. If you get an A you can get an upper A (called band one) or a lower A (band two). :smile:

Sounds like anyone that can even get a grip on that system deserves an offer. Hats off to you good sir!:top2:
Original post by Dprince
Oxford, UCL, KCL, Nottingham, Bristol (EconPol).

Unconditionals from Nottingham & Bristol and rejection from Oxford:rolleyes:

Same rejection from oxford too! :yy:

Has anyone else experienced a change to their portal yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 94
I also got rejected from oxford! just waiting on UCL and also have the application received status...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 95

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by xenia95
I also got rejected from oxford! just waiting on UCL and also have the application received status...

Xenia95 what other uni's have you applied to?

Seems like the Portal being on "application received" is fairly common. From what I've heard it stays that way and then when it changes to "processed by admissions" or something you get your decision fairly soon after.
Original post by xenia95

Yh I'm not sure if thats changed for anyone. I remember someone saying to me that ppe applications would only be looked at after the 15th deadline since its the first time ucl is offering the course and so they want to look at the whole application pool - but I'm not sure :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 97
Yh I'm not sure if thats changed for anyone. I remember someone saying to me that ppe applications would only be looked at after the 15th deadline since its the first time ucl is offering the course and so they want to look at the whole application pool - but I'm not sure :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I saw this too. Something about the fact that usually they give away a specific amount pre-deadline but they can't do that this year seeing as they don't know how many people will apply.

The wait is too intense haha!
Original post by Dprince
I saw this too. Something about the fact that usually they give away a specific amount pre-deadline but they can't do that this year seeing as they don't know how many people will apply.

The wait is too intense haha!

I know I hate it! Well I guess that this thread will have to occupy us till then! How's your gap year going?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I applied for PPE too, still no portal update :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest