The Student Room Group

Why did the Paris attacks get more coverage than the Peshawar school massacre?

Why is that when a terrorist group slaughters more than 100 children at a school, it gets one or two days of media coverage, perhaps 1 thread on TSR, and hardly any mention of it being an Islamic attack on Islamic people?

Yet the minute the Paris attacks happen....boom! camera's everywhere, 24/7 media coverage, multiple "popular" discussion threads on TSR, people calling it Paris' 9/11, then the whole world suddenly considers their position on Islam?

I just don't understand it. I'm not trying to quantify the differences in mortalities, but why did those 132 children deserve less global attention than those who died at Charlie Hebdo? Where were the hundreds of gatherings in European cities, the vigils etc? Is it because it happened outside the Western world so it didn't require that much focus? Or was it because it didn't suit a West vs Islam agenda that so many people are being brainwashed with these days? :rolleyes:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't really like what you are trying to insinuate.
Reply 2
Because the media is owned by zionists and their ultimate aim is to have a clash of civilisations between the West and Islam.
Reply 3
Original post by GailQ
I don't really like what you are trying to insinuate.

I'm not insinuating anything, I condemn both acts of terror. I'm trying to understand why there was an imbalance in the coverage and attention between both events?
Because it happened in the West so it is instantly far more relevant to western media, I imagine. Both very sad events.
Reply 5
I'd imagine because its a much rarer occurrence in the western world than it is in countries like Pakistan and possibly because it potentially affects us in the UK more than the attacks in Pakistan did, therefore understandably it receives much more extensive coverage, not because it didn't suit a 'West vs Islam' agenda :rolleyes:
A few reasons.

The Paris attack happened much closer to home. And it raises questions about how other European countries should respond to Islamist extremism.

The Paris attack is also unusual. Unfortunately, slaughter of innocent people by terrorists is a regular occurrence in certain parts of the world and is nothing new. For that reason in places like Afghanistan and Pakistan it takes a major (even worse than usual) incident to get lots of coverage.

The Peshawar attack did get quite a lot of coverage actually. Not as much as the France shootings, but let's not understate the coverage Peshawar got.
Reply 7
Due to the manhunt that took place.
Reply 8
Original post by MedicineMann
Because it happened in the West so it is instantly far more relevant to western media, I imagine. Both very sad events.

That makes no sense. Even the Sydney attacks got more coverage and it is further away from Europe than Pakistan.
Reply 9
You make it sound as if the incident in Pakistan was not covered at all. You also forget ot realise that the situation in France is ongoing since there are still hostage situations, random killings etc. going on.

But, to put it quite bluntly:
Hundreds of schoolchildren being killed in France will get more coverage than the same situation in Pakistan.
12 journalists being killed in France will get more coverage than the same situation in Pakistan.

Why? Because, frankly, it is less of a surprise for such a thing to happen in Pakistan than in France. That does not make it any less wrong.

And no, this is not a West vs. Islam thing :mad:. Because when 200+ schoolgirls were kidnapped in Nigeria, yes it actually did get a lot of coverage.
Nigeria is not a Western country.
Many Nigerians are Muslim.
Original post by Dexa
Why is that when a terrorist group slaughters more than 100 children at a school, it gets one or two days of media coverage, perhaps 1 thread on TSR, and hardly any mention of it being an Islamic attack on Islamic people?

Yet the minute the Paris attacks happen....boom! camera's everywhere, 24/7 media coverage, multiple "popular" discussion threads on TSR, people calling it Paris' 9/11, then the whole world suddenly considers their position on Islam?

I just don't understand it. I'm not trying to quantify the differences in mortalities, but why did those 132 children deserve less global attention than those who died at Charlie Hebdo? Where were the hundreds of gatherings in European cities, the vigils etc? Is it because it happened outside the Western world so it didn't require that much focus? Or was it because it didn't suit a West vs Islam agenda that so many people are being brainwashed with these days? :rolleyes:

Yes, peshawar attack happened far from home, that's why it was not as big a shock.

It's like someone in africa dies a natural death and you don't even shed a tear, but when your neighbour dies, you still attend the funeral, right?

And where's the "brainwashing" ?
Original post by Dexa
That makes no sense. Even the Sydney attacks got more coverage and it is further away from Europe than Pakistan.

The West is not always a geographical term.
Reply 12
Original post by Dexa

:facepalm: Australia is generally accepted to be part of the West.
Reply 13
Original post by zedeneye1
Yes, peshawar attack happened far from home, that's why it was not as big a shock.

It's like someone in africa dies a natural death and you don't even shed a tear, but when your neighbour dies, you still attend the funeral, right?

And where's the "brainwashing" ?

No, providing I know neither people, I will treat both deaths the same. I don't place greater value in one person's life simply based on geography.
Simply put, brown lives aren't seen as mattering as much by white people

Posted from TSR Mobile
Horrible stuff happens like that in Pakistan all the time, it's just part of a messed up region. We hear about it every day and something happening in France is much rarer - also many people in the UK will be much more familiar with Paris/Parisiens than Pakistan.
Original post by GailQ
You make it sound as if the incident in Pakistan was not covered at all. You also forget ot realise that the situation in France is ongoing since there are still hostage situations, random killings etc. going on.

But, to put it quite bluntly:
Hundreds of schoolchildren being killed in France will get more coverage than the same situation in Pakistan.
12 journalists being killed in France will get more coverage than the same situation in Pakistan.

Why? Because, frankly, it is less of a surprise for such a thing to happen in Pakistan than in France. That does not make it any less wrong.

And no, this is not a West vs. Islam thing :mad:. Because when 200+ schoolgirls were kidnapped in Nigeria, yes it actually did get a lot of coverage.
Nigeria is not a Western country.
Many Nigerians are Muslim.

As if there's anything wrong with not covering it at all ?
The fact that France is a western country and these type of atrocities are a lot less common here than in Pakistan.
Original post by Dexa
No, providing I know neither people, I will treat both deaths the same. I don't place greater value in one person's life simply based on geography.

okay so you would go to africa to attend his funeral then ?
In The Telegraph or the Peshawar Gazette? I wonder.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending