The Student Room Group

Why did the Paris attacks get more coverage than the Peshawar school massacre?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by zedeneye1
okay so you would go to africa to attend his funeral then ?

Why would I go to any of their funeral if I didn't know them?
Reply 21
Original post by Reptilian
Simply put, brown lives aren't seen as mattering as much by white people

Posted from TSR Mobile

Please don't start down that route.
Original post by Reptilian
Simply put, brown lives aren't seen as mattering as much by white people

Posted from TSR Mobile

and white lives aren't seen as mattering as much by brown peeple.
Reply 23
And slaughtering 100+ children is not a frequent event even in the Middle east, so you can't just say "oh things like that happen all the time there". What BS.
Original post by Dexa
Why would I go to any of their funeral if I didn't know them?

exactly. but you are still more likely to attend your neighbour's funeral, even if you didn't know him, isn't it ?
Original post by Dexa
And slaughtering 100+ children is not a frequent event even in the Middle east, so you can't just say "oh things like that happen all the time there". What BS.

That is why it was covered in western media, it doesn't happen every other day. Had it been the usual 5-10 people dead in suicide bomb, it wouldn't have been covered.

But the paris thing NEVER happens and wasn't expected to happen. That's why it gets more coverage.
Because it was white people that died.
Reply 27
exactly. but you are still more likely to attend your neighbour's funeral, even if you didn't know him, isn't it ?

No, why would I? You're asking a very stupid question. I would travel to a different country to attend a funeral of someone I knew.
I guess that Europeans focus more on things that happen in Europe? As in, close to home.
Why not complain to the media then instead of just helping to fuel the animosity between cultures? Why did the media not give as much coverage? Probably for similar reasons they make up any bigoted fantasy they please to make a few extra quid. Stop worrying about the media, because they certainly don't care about anyone from any stretch of the planet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dexa
No, why would I? You're asking a very stupid question. I would travel to a different country to attend a funeral of someone I knew.

Exactly.

You would be more concerned of events happening closer to you.

That's how it is. That is why Peshawar incident was not covered as much as the paris incident.
Original post by Silver Arrow
Because it was white people that died.

white people would be more worried about white people dieing. Naturally. Similarly, non-white people would be more worried about non-white people dieing.
Reply 32
Exactly.

You would be more concerned of events happening closer to you.

That's how it is. That is why Peshawar incident was not covered as much as the paris incident.

That's not what I answered. If I knew someone who died in Australia, I would be more likely to attend his funeral than my neighbour who I didn't know. Distance doesn't matter to me.
People saying its white people vs black people etc etc. life isn't a competition! Less moaning on here would mean you could go out there and spread a little happiness to anyone regardless of their skin colour!! Life is far too short to bicker

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Because it happened in a western country so they more concerned, plus terrorist attacks happen regularly in pakistan so its less shocking and a less of a concern because it's far away. So it's natural.
Because it was much closer to home and since 7/7 they have been fears an attack like this could happen here or in the West.
France is our neighbour, our political ally, culturally we are very similar and our history's are deeply intertwined, many French people reside in the UK, and vice versa. People are always biased towards those that are most familiar, hence why events that happen in places like Europe, Australia, the US, Canada etc will always recieve the most news coverage. Not saying it's necessarily right, that's just the way it goes. On the flip side, do you think Pakistan ever gives round the clock media coverage whenever the IRA commits an attack in the UK? I doubt it.
Original post by Dexa
That's not what I answered. If I knew someone who died in Australia, I would be more likely to attend his funeral than my neighbour who I didn't know. Distance doesn't matter to me.

two people you don't know. one far from you, one close to you. which one would you care about more?
Original post by Dexa
That makes no sense. Even the Sydney attacks got more coverage and it is further away from Europe than Pakistan.

Australia is part of the West.
That's like saying 'why are the ongoing republican terrorist attacks in Northern Ireland not being covered as much as the Paris attack'

Where something is a regular occurrence in a country or region it is less likely it will get any coverage at all.
In places were terrorism is rife, it takes a much larger incident to attract any form of media attention.

The fact that it is rare for a terriorist attack to happen in France adds a larger shock factor which automatically means more coverage. Not to mention that over the 2 days, quite a few acts of terrorism were carried out which meant media coverage, although centred in and around Paris, covered a few separate attacks by a linked group of people.

Also, the Islamic threat to the west is something which is very relevant to the UK. So it is only logical that when there is an attack practically right on our doorstep, that it is in extensive coverage. Evaluation is needed on how it happened and how big the threat is to home.

Furthermore, I don't think people have sympathised with the victims of the Paris attacks anymore than they have over any other victims of terrorist attack.
It is largely down to the shock factor.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending