jacksonmeg
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm trying to do an MO diagram for BN but i'm not sure my answer is correct. In the 2p section I have 1 electron from B and 3 electrons left from N, so 4 bonding electrons which is a double bond, but from what I see online its a triple bond
TheAlchemistt
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jacksonmeg)
I'm trying to do an MO diagram for BN but i'm not sure my answer is correct. In the 2p section I have 1 electron from B and 3 electrons left from N, so 4 bonding electrons which is a double bond, but from what I see online its a triple bond

Hope this helps

Attached files
jacksonmeg
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheAlchemistt)
Hope this helps

but Boron has 5 electrons so why is there 2 electrons in the 2p orbital... surely 4 have been used, 2 to 1s and 2 to 2s
TheAlchemistt
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
but Boron has 5 electrons so why is there 2 electrons in the 2p orbital... surely 4 have been used, 2 to 1s and 2 to 2s
I drew the MO for BN- which has a bond order of 3 and a triple bond.
BN has a bond order of 2, which in theory would be linear with a double bond but actually it forms a ring structure:

http://gyazo.com/15ba6b89b734e35019a44afce3878aee

Btw can i ask what uni you are from because i think it might be the same as mine as this question is on a past paper.
jacksonmeg
Rep:
?
I drew the MO for BN- which has a bond order of 3 and a triple bond.
BN has a bond order of 2, which in theory would be linear with a double bond but actually it forms a ring structure:

http://gyazo.com/15ba6b89b734e35019a44afce3878aee

Btw can i ask what uni you are from because i think it might be the same as mine as this question is on a past paper.
Leeds
TheAlchemistt
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Leeds
Oh nvm, but yeh hopefully that explains it.
BJack
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
BN is isoelectronic to C2, which you might remember has a bond order of 2. In practice you often end up with interesting graphite- and diamond-like structures, although that's not what this question is getting at.

Hope this helps
You appear to have a bond order of 2.5, not 3.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (108)
33.54%
No I don't (151)
46.89%
I work during the holidays (63)
19.57%

Watched Threads