The Student Room Group

molecular orbital diagram

I'm trying to do an MO diagram for BN but i'm not sure my answer is correct. In the 2p section I have 1 electron from B and 3 electrons left from N, so 4 bonding electrons which is a double bond, but from what I see online its a triple bond
Original post by jacksonmeg
I'm trying to do an MO diagram for BN but i'm not sure my answer is correct. In the 2p section I have 1 electron from B and 3 electrons left from N, so 4 bonding electrons which is a double bond, but from what I see online its a triple bond

Hope this helps

(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by TheAlchemistt
Hope this helps

but Boron has 5 electrons so why is there 2 electrons in the 2p orbital... :frown: surely 4 have been used, 2 to 1s and 2 to 2s
(edited 9 years ago)
but Boron has 5 electrons so why is there 2 electrons in the 2p orbital... :frown: surely 4 have been used, 2 to 1s and 2 to 2s

I drew the MO for BN- which has a bond order of 3 and a triple bond.
BN has a bond order of 2, which in theory would be linear with a double bond but actually it forms a ring structure:

http://gyazo.com/15ba6b89b734e35019a44afce3878aee

Btw can i ask what uni you are from because i think it might be the same as mine as this question is on a past paper.
Reply 4
I drew the MO for BN- which has a bond order of 3 and a triple bond.
BN has a bond order of 2, which in theory would be linear with a double bond but actually it forms a ring structure:

http://gyazo.com/15ba6b89b734e35019a44afce3878aee

Btw can i ask what uni you are from because i think it might be the same as mine as this question is on a past paper.

Leeds
Leeds

Oh nvm, but yeh hopefully that explains it.
Reply 6
BN is isoelectronic to C2, which you might remember has a bond order of 2. In practice you often end up with interesting graphite- and diamond-like structures, although that's not what this question is getting at.

Hope this helps

You appear to have a bond order of 2.5, not 3.

Quick Reply

Latest