The Student Room Group

Help choosing a levels

Hey, sorry I am new here. I am currently in year 11 and have to choose my A Levels by next month however cannot make up my mind. I am definitely doing History but I am stuck for my other 3 choices. My options are English Lit, Sociology, Government and Politics, Media, Buisness or Economics :s-smilie::s-smilie::confused::confused:
So if anyone has done any of these subjects could you please tell me a bit about the subject and if it is enjoyable.

Much appreciated!
Hi! I'm in Year 11 too but I've already chosen mine so I guess I could help. Which subjects do you prefer most? What would you like to be and what course do you plan on studying at university?
These questions may help you decide. Good luck! :smile:

Kindest regards
~F.C~

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I reckon Economics, English Literature (top/respected subject) and either Sociology or Government and Politics depending on what you prefer. I'd steer well clear of Media Studies as it's a bottom-ranking subject and the classic example of a mickey mouse course. Business is blacklisted as well and given Economics would be a much stronger option there'd be no need to offer both as they're too similar in content (although one's clearly more difficult than the other).

It's up to you though.
Original post by FatimaHere
Hi! I'm in Year 11 too but I've already chosen mine so I guess I could help. Which subjects do you prefer most? What would you like to be and what course do you plan on studying at university?
These questions may help you decide. Good luck! :smile:

Kindest regards
~F.C~

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am currently doing Media at GCSE and enjoying it a lot however feel like it isn't a good subject to take as it cannot really get you very far and I would rather have a subject like English however I find English Lit very hard but would help me further in the future. I have never studied Government and Politics, Sociology, Business or Economics however I feel like Government and Politics will compliment History well and Sociology fascinates me a lot. In regards to what I want to do in the future I have no idea!
Original post by Walt_14
I reckon Economics, English Literature (top/respected subject) and either Sociology or Government and Politics depending on what you prefer. I'd steer well clear of Media Studies as it's a bottom-ranking subject and the classic example of a mickey mouse course. Business is blacklisted as well and given Economics would be a much stronger option there'd be no need to offer both as they're too similar in content (although one's clearly more difficult than the other).

It's up to you though.

I've heard that a lot about Media aswell. Why is it seen as a mickey mouse course? Also what is the difference between Buisness and Economics? I've always seen the two subjects combined for A Level however my school are offering them seperatley this year.
Thank you very much for your ideas!
Reply 5
Original post by ChloeJaneSmith
I've heard that a lot about Media aswell. Why is it seen as a mickey mouse course? Also what is the difference between Buisness and Economics? I've always seen the two subjects combined for A Level however my school are offering them seperatley this year.
Thank you very much for your ideas!

http://www.hmsg.co.uk/academic/teaching-departments/economics-and-business-studies/
In a nutshell, Business Studies is more about simply learning than actually grasping and understanding key concepts - Economics is more theoretical and has more depth.

Not a clue why Media is held in low regard other than it's popular with dummies and more people breeze through with As than in any other course. Gross generalisation of course. But it's the classic example of a nonsense subject so I'd advise against you taking it. Not at the expense of a stronger fourth subject.
Reply 6
Original post by ChloeJaneSmith
Hey, sorry I am new here. I am currently in year 11 and have to choose my A Levels by next month however cannot make up my mind. I am definitely doing History but I am stuck for my other 3 choices. My options are English Lit, Sociology, Government and Politics, Media, Buisness or Economics :s-smilie::s-smilie::confused::confused:
So if anyone has done any of these subjects could you please tell me a bit about the subject and if it is enjoyable.

Much appreciated!

Eng lit, Economics and then no idea for the final one. The other 4 are looked upon the same. However, your enjoyment of these courses will lead to higher grades which matter most at the end of the day. So, choose what you enjoy, and if you're really stuck, english lit and economics are known to be slightly more difficult and therefore are highly looked upon.
Original post by Walt_14
http://www.hmsg.co.uk/academic/teaching-departments/economics-and-business-studies/
In a nutshell, Business Studies is more about simply learning than actually grasping and understanding key concepts - Economics is more theoretical and has more depth.

Not a clue why Media is held in low regard other than it's popular with dummies and more people breeze through with As than in any other course. Gross generalisation of course. But it's the classic example of a nonsense subject so I'd advise against you taking it. Not at the expense of a stronger fourth subject.

Thank you!
Original post by bethblur
Eng lit, Economics and then no idea for the final one. The other 4 are looked upon the same. However, your enjoyment of these courses will lead to higher grades which matter most at the end of the day. So, choose what you enjoy, and if you're really stuck, english lit and economics are known to be slightly more difficult and therefore are highly looked upon.

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest