The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dani California
Cool! Ever been to Germany before?

Nope :smile:
I'm torn between going at it alone bear grylls style, or travelling with a significant other because it'd be so romantic *vomits*
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Nope :smile:

Hope you enjoy it. Never been to Frankfurt, but I've done Berlin and it's like no other city on earth.
Hope you enjoy it. Never been to Frankfurt, but I've done Berlin and it's like no other city on earth.

Thanks!:smile:
If you go traveling alone, you can do anything you want, be it a trip to an art gallery or a visit to a sex shop or whatever floats your boat. BUT you have no one to share your experiences with.

Personally I'd say alone but take a camera
Original post by Reue
Not a short break but I did go off travelling Australia alone. Just met people along the way and eventually lived/worked in Sydney with some of them for a few months.

Whereabouts did you visit in Australia?

I'm going there later this year for a 6-week solo bushwalk, but will be spending some time in Sydney and Melbourne.
Reply 46
Original post by askew116
Whereabouts did you visit in Australia?

I'm going there later this year for a 6-week solo bushwalk, but will be spending some time in Sydney and Melbourne.

Flew into Sydney where I spent a week, then went on a camping road trip down to Canberra - Melbourne - Adelaide. Then flew up to Cairns and went north to Cape Tribulation. Then worked down the east coast to finish back in Sydney where I got a job and lived in the CBD for a few months.
Original post by Reue
Flew into Sydney where I spent a week, then went on a camping road trip down to Canberra - Melbourne - Adelaide. Then flew up to Cairns and went north to Cape Tribulation. Then worked down the east coast to finish back in Sydney where I got a job and lived in the CBD for a few months.

That's cool, I've been to Sydney before, and looking forward to re-visiting it. The bushwalk I'm doing is basically Melbourne to Canberra. What did you think of those cities - Is there much to do as tourists?
Reply 48
Original post by askew116
That's cool, I've been to Sydney before, and looking forward to re-visiting it. The bushwalk I'm doing is basically Melbourne to Canberra. What did you think of those cities - Is there much to do as tourists?

Melbourne is like any large UK city. Canberra is pretty barren.
Reply 49
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
I
Wow, sounds good! Where did you go, if you don't mind me asking? :smile:

I did summer camp work last year in the USA; the job wasn't for me, but I'd still like to return to the country for a holiday. If I could afford it this year that would be awesome :biggrin:

New York and Philadelphia. They're not too far apart so the travel didn't eat into my tight budget too much :tongue:

Wnat kind of work did you do at the camp? It's something I've considered doing in the past.

Agreed, I was only supposed to stay for three days, ended up there for 10 :L
Original post by Cll_ws
New York and Philadelphia. They're not too far apart so the travel didn't eat into my tight budget too much :tongue:

Wnat kind of work did you do at the camp? It's something I've considered doing in the past.

Ah OK, cool. I went to New York too and it was pretty nice :smile:. I wanna go visit some places I didn't get to see last time, like Las Vegas, Florida, and LA.

I worked as a camp counsellor. It's a more difficult job that you might realise - definitely not for the faint-hearted :p:. American kids are sweet though, I have to say :h:. And you definitely learn a lot :yep:
Original post by Vixen47
No way. I'm very much a loner, but travelling is one of those things I can't imagine doing alone just because it's nowhere near as much fun as it is with someone else.

This tbh. I love travelling with friends, it allows you to do more ie drink and feel less...vulnerable imo.
Original post by tillytots
Agreed, I was only supposed to stay for three days, ended up there for 10 :L

Sounds like quite a trip!
I'd love to go travelling, problem is whilst I'd rather explore the touristy sights and go for walks in picturesque places my friends would rather sunbathing during the day and then out getting hammered every night...which I think is a waste of time being abroad as you could just do that here...albeit with **** weather.

I'd be fine to go alone in the UK, but I'd be pretty paranoid going elsewhere alone as a female.
Reply 55
Original post by Antoniaotter
I also really want to travel, but I am always worried about going alone. I don't know how much I'd enjoy it,, but still, I've heard many stories of people who have travelled alone and met loads of great people along the way. I'd be interested to hear what other people think

hey sexbomb how u doin
Reply 56
Original post by De Chirico
I've been round India, most of SE Asia and South America on my own. Loved it. Met loads of people along the way and have many crazy stories.

so r u indian?
I traveled in Germany alone after 1st year of uni, volunteered at two places then went to Berlin for two days. If you volunteer somewhere you meet other solo travelers as 99 percent go alone. Traveling alone is fairly common, you can meet people at hostels so you're not always alone. I also got myself an internship in Paris during my year abroad and moved there without knowing anybody. You meet people if you put yourself out there a bit, even if you're a bit shy.
Nah its not fun without sharing the experience. you'd just feel so alone :frown:
Original post by Shakz
so r u indian?

Nope.

Latest