The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by troodon
I heard that if you can justify it pertains to your course Oxford will give you money for travel, is there any truth in that?

Well I know you can apply for up to £3000 for dissertation fieldwork with the geography course. I dunno if other courses do anything similar

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by troodon
I heard that if you can justify it pertains to your course Oxford will give you money for travel, is there any truth in that?

I don't think there's university-wide travel grants, but some colleges will have things like that. Go look at your college's website :smile:
I have a question for any other Welsh offer holders - does the Welsh Bacc. really not count for anything anymore?

I was doing some research before I applied (so it was information for the last cycle), that said they would accept Welsh Bac. alongside two other standard A levels, taking an AAA offer to AA + Welsh Bacc. The information has changed (I wasn't checking because I was sure I was going to be rejected lol) and now reads:

"We welcome the valuable skills developed by students taking the Welsh Baccalaureate, particularly the independent research project. However, the Core Certificate will not form the basis of any offers... "

Whilst I admit the previous allowance was a complete swizz because Welsh Bacc. is a complete piss take, I'd just like to clarify (especially because it is graded now).

Cymru am byth!

Congrats to everyone btw :biggrin:
Original post by Somniare
Anyone had an offer for Mathematics and Philosophy? Would love to talk if so!

Yes, so excited! Applied to Worcester but got an offer from Oriel.. Which college did you apply to? Only 17 of us in the year :O
Reply 264
Original post by fluteflute
I think there's no denying that Oxford would be a socially different experience to other unis (probably in a good way :tongue:) As a somewhat silly example, I just went on unistats and compared the average UCAS points of Oxford and Sheffield Physics students. 82% of the Oxford students got 520+, whereas 10% of the Sheffield physicists did. I guess, broadly speaking, those at Sheffield will be similarish to the academically best people at your school, whereas at Oxford you'll find plenty of people who seem cleverer than you.

But yeah, you're probably right to say that you'd have an awesome experience at other unis :smile:

Well a long day of overthinking things means I'm now considering between the two! The main pull at Sheffield is the opportunity in the 4th year to spend your whole Mphys year working at an observatory in La Palma, so it mostly depends on how likely I am to go for that I think :smile:

Original post by hermit17
Posted from TSR Mobile

Why ain't you accepting the offer?

I wasn't certain about whether the course was what I wanted, but now I'm rethinking a little?

Original post by Ocean7
I'd make sure you fully do some research first I'm currently at oxford and thought about doing something similar but a lot of courses let you choose a lot of modules and with your third and fourth year research projects you essentially have free pick of the whole department and some other departments of your committed to it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am looking into it more now, thanks :smile: what do you study?
Original post by Lucilou101
I spent £6k last term :confused:

How did you manage £6k in one term?!
Hey I received an offer from St. Peter's which is exciting, but I seriously feel as if it was a mistake. There were and are so many people better than I and I don't know whether I'm to the Oxford standard. Maybe I'm just being silly

Posted from TSR Mobile
I spent £6k last term :confused:

Original post by amol_chalis447

I don't believe you :tongue:
Original post by DodoManiac
Yes so excited!

Yay! I am also extremely excited! I really enjoyed the interviews ^o^ (what kind of questions did you get?) I applied to St Hugh's and received an offer from them =D did you have your second interview at Oriel? I am just a bit scared about A* in Further Maths as I hear it is quite hard to get...
What areas of Maths are you interested in? And philosophy? I hope everyone is good friends then! =p
(edited 9 years ago)
Congratulations for your offer. You all must be really proud of the achievement.

My son had an offer from Oxford for 2014 entry for one of the most sought after course. His friend also had an offer. They were the only ones at their school successful to get an Oxford offer. They both went to a comprehensive state school. However both of them lost the offer after the results in August 14 2014 as they narrowly missed the A* grade. Both had brilliant GCSE with all A*, AS level with nearly 100 UMS and excellent results in their entrance exams.

I am posting this so that no one in this forum becomes complacent and lose the offer. The heartbreak, which happens then, can be really unbearable and it does not go away easily. Last year 374 students lost their conditional offer at Cambridge (according to freedom of Information website). You don’t want to be one of them. Oxford and Cambridge do not normally listen to appeals. They would rather leave the seat vacant than taking someone who did not meet the grades

My advice to you:

You can’t score marks in A Levels and GCSE just because you have subject knowledge or intelligence. You should know to answer according to the mark scheme. Mark schemes and past papers should be your best friends from now on;
Make sure that you take help from teachers or extra tuition if you are struggling in any aspect
Make sure that your lab work and controlled assessment are up to standard; don’t take them lightly as that can cost you your A*. If there is any opportunity to re-sit take it;
Avoid clubbing (if you do that too much now; you won’t be around to attend fresher’s week parties at Oxford.) It may be tempting as most of you are turning 18 and there are too many parties to go to. But focus on the end goal;
Make it clear to your girlfriend /boyfriend that you need to focus on studies for the next few months and don’t entertain unreasonable expectations;
Don’t be arrogant regarding your offer. Please note that there may be others who were better than you who were rejected after the interview, as interviews can be subjective

My son accepted his insurance choice which is nowhere near Oxford regarding international reputation and he is disappointed. In his mind he knows that he could have done better preparation for final A level exams.

So after partying this weekend to celebrate your offer; get back to your studies and make that offer unconditional in August. Even if you decide not to go to Oxford later; you want to be the one making that decision; not them. All the best. The new series of Game of thrones can wait!
Reply 270
There were only seven of us who could have been on that page, so no, not very special!

Weren't there 8 of you for 2012 entry?

Original post by Noble.
Not many I'd imagine. Probably the same people who come out crying after collections :lol:

I thought collections don't count towards the final degree classification..?
Original post by yz5267
Yes - one of the eight suspended his studies for health reasons. :frown:
Reply 272
Yes - one of the eight suspended his studies for health reasons. :frown:

Oh that's unfortunate.. :/
Did he then join the freshers in 2013 then?
Original post by yz5267

I thought collections don't count towards the final degree classification..?

They don't.
I don't believe you :tongue:

Original post by amol_chalis447

It involved paying off £1500 debt, buying a Macbook, buying a bike, paying for accommodation, paying subs for rugby, union etc and going on the Varsity ski trip :rolleyes:

I expect this term to be a lot less..
St John's

Assuming John's was your preferred college during application, did college finances play any part in your decision?
It involved paying off £1500 debt, buying a Macbook, buying a bike, paying for accommodation, paying subs for rugby, union etc and going on the Varsity ski trip :rolleyes:

I expect this term to be a lot less..

If paying off debt counts, I spent over 12k last term :rofl:
Original post by Caitlan
Assuming John's was your preferred college during application, did college finances play any part in your decision?

Both John's finances and fluteflute played a part in my decision :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 278
Original post by Lau14
I am looking into it more now, thanks :smile: what do you study?

I'm currently a chemist but at quite a small college and have some good friends who are physicists. I was torn between a course with a year in industry and Oxford but by going to Oxford you open so many more doors that you may be able to spend your fourth year in the observatory but maybe by going to Oxford you could spend a DPhil/ career in the observatory. You are also given the opportunity to meet some really cool people, I have met the designer of the finger glucose monitor as well as Jocelyn Bell Burnell and many more people who offer opportunities that you may not get an another university simply due to the Oxford name.
Reply 279
Original post by mnina19
Unconditional offer from St Catherine's for History - if anyone is at Catz or doing History, let's chat! Does anyone know if there will be a Catz Facebook group or anything where we can talk? Or will there be a general Oxford offer holders FB group?

Hi! Fellow Catz offer holder, I'll be studying English though. There doesn't seem to be a Facebook group for us :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending