The Student Room Group

The most popular book of all time.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dani California
I still love it too, I just meant I read it when I was a kid. As for the style, I can still read most of them, but the first two are obviously children's books, Rowling's style changes and becomes more mature with the series.

Not gonna lie to you though, I do still read the first one on those days where I can't even be bothered to get dressed. :wink:

Welcome To The Harry Potter World
Original post by Sweet Revenge
Welcome To The Harry Potter World

Don't welcome me like you own the place. :wink: I'm not a newbie.
Just to clarify the Bible/Koran argument:
http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/best-selling-book-of-non-fiction/
Bible wins.
You can't discount translations because all the other books incl. the Harry Potter series, Le Petit Prince, Lord of the rings, their figures are all including translations:biggrin:
Original post by KrazyHusna
Ive read 9 out of 13 of those books. I have not read the following, are they worth reading (even if I have to fetch a translation):

3. Quotations from Chairman Mao Tse-tung (1964) by Mao Zendong - 800 million
4. Don Quixote (1512) by Miguel de Cervantes - 500 million
Dream of the Red Chamber (1754) by Cao Xueqin - 100 million
And Then There Were None (1939) by Agatha Christie - 100 million

I've read Don Quijote in Spanish, it's a great book, it is definitely worth reading :wink:
Original post by Dani California
Don't welcome me like you own the place. :wink: I'm not a newbie.

I really didn't mean it like that

Spoiler

Original post by Sweet Revenge
I really didn't mean it like that

Spoiler

Er, I assumed you were just recognising that we all do the same thing. Unless you actually plan to show up with a pink umbrella and an acceptance letter? :rolleyes:
Reply 26
Naa, its 50 shades of grey
I'm fairly certain the Bible is the world's best selling book at present. But, I don't see how the number of sales of the Bible (or the Qur'an) make them the 'most popular'?

Yes, they sell well but how often are they actually read? And appreciated? How many people on here will say they look forward to sitting down with the Bible or Qur'an after a long day with a nice cup of tea?

Are they really popular or do people buy them because they feel they have to? They sell well because they're essential to their respective faiths and there's a lot of Muslim and Christian families in the world. Most, if not all of these households will have at least 1 copy of their holy book but it's probably read once in a blue moon and serves more of an ornamental purpose.

edit: I looked across my room as I finished this post and there's 3 different copies of the Qur'an on my book shelf doing nothing but gathering dust.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by Master Jack
With each duplicate version of the bible it's intrinsic meaning becomes adulterated, if anything it loses validity...

Don't most Muslims read the quran in their own language anyway?
Original post by Borgia
Don't most Muslims read the quran in their own language anyway?

They do, but these translations are from the original Arabic text. They aren't translations of translations, for e.g. using an English translation of the Qur'an to translate it in to Swahili. There is bound to be something lost in translation which is why all translations are from the original.
Reply 30
Original post by teenhorrorstory
LOL how misleading. It only included the Kings James Version of the Bible. There are so many more versions and if they were all included, the Bible would be #1 on this list by a mile.

Anyway, The Bible is in fact the most popular book

Apparently not. Each version is a different book.
Reply 31
Original post by Anonymοοse
I'm fairly certain the Bible is the world's best selling book at present. But, I don't see how the number of sales of the Bible (or the Qur'an) make them the 'most popular'?

Yes, they sell well but how often are they actually read? And appreciated? How many people on here will say they look forward to sitting down with the Bible or Qur'an after a long day with a nice cup of tea?

Are they really popular or do people buy them because they feel they have to? They sell well because they're essential to their respective faiths and there's a lot of Muslim and Christian families in the world. Most, if not all of these households will have at least 1 copy of their holy book but it's probably read once in a blue moon and serves more of an ornamental purpose.

edit: I looked across my room as I finished this post and there's 3 different copies of the Qur'an on my book shelf doing nothing but gathering dust.

Your argument has a lot of flaws. You don't propose what a better measure of popularity is. You conflate popularity with 'buying without feeling you need to'. Basically, you commit the fallacy of false consciousness where you get to say what people's reasons for their actions are.
Original post by quaderat
Stylist is a **** source anyway. So I hope no one is taking its little 'list' seriously. In reality The Bible would be first and then after that I do not know. However, the retards who came up with the list are definitely bias against CS Lewis and definitely bias towards Harry Potter.

Quran and Chairman Mao are probably in the right place to be fair. Rest is all guess work.
Original post by HucktheForde
1. The Holy Quran (644) - over 3 billion

Yeh, thats right. :dance:
Where's 50 shades of grey? :s-smilie:

Spoiler

No, they are only measuring one edition of the Bible against every edition of the Quran. That is not fair. The list does not tell us anything about the most popular books. What is does, tell us about is the authors. It tells us they are most likely left wing (or more correctly pseudo-left wing), and feel a petty grudge against Christianity. In the same way that the geographically challenged try to find a way of pretending the British Empire was not the largest of all time, which it clearly was in order to try and get on over or such against Great Britain and against Christian culture and I say all of this as an atheist.

Just remembered that it had Quran at no. 1. :facepalm:

I'd still say it belongs at no. 2 and Chairman Mao at no. 3. Bible is obviously the no. 1.

I once heard that the Bible was also the most shoplifted book of all time.
No, it is not. They are trying to compare every edition of the Quran, with one edition of the Bible. That is not fair and is intellectually dishonest.

"yeh. that's right" meaning Yeh, that's where it should be.
It does not matter whether you think it 'should be'. The Bible as a book has been bought more than the Quran. The retarded compilers of the Stylist list have disingenuously chosen one edition of The Bible (and still downgraded its numbers) and compared it with every edition of The Quran. If you take the list seriously, they you are even more stupid than the comment you just made.

Wow, are you ok? did you have a bad day?
I made a light hearted comment on my opinion. Calm down.
Reply 38
Original post by xylas
Apparently not. Each version is a different book.
Well in that case the Harry Potter books need to be split out by:
title
hardback / paperback
issue
different sleeve
Original post by Shakz
Naa, its 50 shades of grey

Yup, it out-sold Rowling's Harry Potter series. Pathetic I say. The book isn't even worth reading.

Quick Reply

Latest