The Student Room Group

Uni Course choice for Investment banking

I would like to break into the investment banking industry, Middle/front office preferably. So what university do you guys suggest that I should firm.

University of Nottingham -Industrial Economics (BSC) OFFER
University of Manchester - Economics (BA) OFFER
University of Birmingham - Economics (BSC) OFFER

Waiting on Exeter for Economics.

That leaves me with university of Leicester, which is my insurance and not a strong candidate which i will be rejecting.
Notts Econ
Original post by solomon0798
I would like to break into the investment banking industry, Middle/front office preferably. So what university do you guys suggest that I should firm.

That leaves me with university of Leicester, which is my insurance and not a strong candidate which i will be rejecting.

Exeter and Nottingham

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Nottingham and BSc much preferred by banks to BA

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Anonynous
Notts Econ

Notts is industrial Economics
Reply 6
Sounds like someone didn't take Maths A level...

The best of those listed are Exeter and Nottingham. From there it's down to preference.

A BA in Economics is stupid. If you choose Nottingham, make sure to convert to a BSc in the second year which I understand they openly welcome.
Reply 7
Original post by 105263
Sounds like someone didn't take Maths A level...

The best of those listed are Exeter and Nottingham. From there it's down to preference.

A BA in Economics is stupid. If you choose Nottingham, make sure to convert to a BSc in the second year which I understand they openly welcome.

Yes no A level Maths lol. Notts is Industrial Economics so its BSC. Why do you say BA Econ is stupid?

Which unis and what course are you applying for?
Reply 8
Yes no A level Maths lol. Notts is Industrial Economics so its BSC. Why do you say BA Econ is stupid?

Which unis and what course are you applying for?

What I'm applying for isn't relevant.

Economics is a mathematical subject by nature and a solid grounding in mathematics is essential in understanding these concepts. On this basis a BA in Economics is like using a calculator to study English Literature.

It's still a good degree from a good university, but not facilitating in an academic way. Go for BSC at any of those Unis.
Reply 9

Notts would be the best out of the four for IB prospects.

Between the other three differences arent signficant enough to say one has any real advantage over the other. I would be inclined to go to Manc though because:

a) sheer size of the uni means that IBs have to come and visit (whereas extent to which IBs visit Exeter & Brum is less certain)
b) reputation as a party uni, so think its uni where mostly likley to enjoy your 3 years
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Notts Econ

Notts is Industrial Econ! So would you still say Notts
Notts is Industrial Econ! So would you still say Notts

Deffo notts. Good luck!
Reply 12
Deciding between Notts Finance, Accounting & Management and Manchester's International Business, Finance and Economics...[h="3"]
Original post by makrxx
Deciding between Notts Finance, Accounting & Management and Manchester's International Business, Finance and Economics...

Notts

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending