The Student Room Group

Part-time masters

Hello. I am new and posting for the first time so forgive me if this thread should be somewhere else.

I am planning to apply for a master in International Relations this year. I work full time and intend to keep my job so doing the degree over 2 years sounds like the best option though I would love to do it over 1 year only but with a small family this may prove very challenging. My employer is willing to help with the fees as the subject of studies is very relevant to my job but I will be expected to commit to a number of hours each month. How flexible is a taught master degree? how many lectures a week are you required to attend? My job is fairly flexible. I only work when I get assigned a project but I also travel quite a bit during the year to deliver work on client's sites. My trips can take between 4 days and 2 weeks but I will also have plenty of "free" days to attend lectures etc. Would I still be able to do that while studying? ie. if I go oversees for 2 weeks, will I be able to catch up easily on the lessons I missed etc? I would be grateful for any advice.
You need to talk to individual unis about their timetable and delivery style of the course and whether lectures and seminars are compulsory.
Original post by Polymatheia
Hello. I am new and posting for the first time so forgive me if this thread should be somewhere else.

I am planning to apply for a master in International Relations this year. I work full time and intend to keep my job so doing the degree over 2 years sounds like the best option though I would love to do it over 1 year only but with a small family this may prove very challenging. My employer is willing to help with the fees as the subject of studies is very relevant to my job but I will be expected to commit to a number of hours each month. How flexible is a taught master degree? how many lectures a week are you required to attend? My job is fairly flexible. I only work when I get assigned a project but I also travel quite a bit during the year to deliver work on client's sites. My trips can take between 4 days and 2 weeks but I will also have plenty of "free" days to attend lectures etc. Would I still be able to do that while studying? ie. if I go oversees for 2 weeks, will I be able to catch up easily on the lessons I missed etc? I would be grateful for any advice.

As laurakate1988 has said you need to ask the universities how often you would have scheduled classes as it can vary. As an example at my uni you would probally have around 4 hours contact time as a part time student but it could be different at other unis. You would be expected to spend a good few hours doing seminar reading and working on any assignments. I would imagine a lot of unis would take a dim view of you missing more than the odd seminar or lecture and what would happen if your work abroad coincided with a deadline?
Can you not do it in a worthwhile subject?
Reply 4
Thank you very much for your replies. I will get in touch with unis and find out.
Reply 5
Original post by JamesManc
Can you not do it in a worthwhile subject?

Sorry I'm not sure what you mean by that?
Thank you very much for your replies. I will get in touch with unis and find out.

By far your best bet.

My wife did a Master's a couple of years ago and the course was arranged so that part-time students had lectures/seminars scheduled for only one day a week, compared to two days for the full timers. That arrangement would obviously help you.
Sorry I'm not sure what you mean by that?

I mean 'International Relations' is pointless
Reply 8
I mean 'International Relations' is pointless
Yes, because there are no conflicts between nations that could do with understanding and resolving. :rolleyes:
Original post by Simes
Yes, because there are no conflicts between nations that could do with understanding and resolving. :rolleyes:

Yes, and a 'degree' in it solves all these problems.
Reply 10
Yes, and a 'degree' in it solves all these problems.
A degree in engineering doesn't bridges and a degree in medicine doesn't mend broken arms.
Original post by Simes
A degree in engineering doesn't bridges and a degree in medicine doesn't mend broken arms.

No-one said they did.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending