The Student Room Group

Dropping out of uni.

I've been at university now (January) since September and I'm really not enjoying it. I am trying to stick through the course but I am really not enjoying it. I am studying English with Creative Writing as it is the only thing I am remotely interested in but the course is just not for me.

Has anybody got any advise about dropping out and other University alternatives?

Thanks
Reply 1
Can't really offer advice on what you should do instead. That's going to be completely up to you - what would you want to so instead? A different course at a different uni, or trying out the working world?

What I would say, is that if you think you might want to do another degree at some point, you shouldn't start your second year where you are. If you drop out during or immediately after your first year, you will still have enough Student Finance entitlement to do a new degree from scratch. If you start your second year, you'll lose that year's entitlement and will have to fund most of the first year of a new degree (including the tuition fee), by yourself.
Reply 2
Original post by Klix88
What I would say, is that if you think you might want to do another degree at some point, you shouldn't start your second year where you are. If you drop out during or immediately after your first year, you will still have enough Student Finance entitlement to do a new degree from scratch. If you start your second year, you'll lose that year's entitlement and will have to fund most of the first year of a new degree (including the tuition fee), by yourself.

As someone who quit and is returning to a different Uni this year, this.
If you're not sure whether you'll hack 3/4 years, quit in the first. You'll have the option to defer your year anyway. (at least, I did - I think that's the norm?)

If you're sure you're coming back, try to get something to do for when you get home. Coming home to nothing can be worse than doing a course you dislike.
Hello, I am kind of in the same situation. I am currently on my second year and I have started to really hate my course. It is not for me whatsoever. I do not feel that Classical Music combined with Education Studies is for me whatsoever.

Any advice of how to leave my course during second year? The good and the bad?

I am desperate to start working for the NHS instead, preferably paramedics.

In regards to you leaving on your first year and you hate it now I SERIOUSLY ADVISE that you leave the course asap, work for a while and reapply if you wish to start a fresh for September. It does not get better, it got worse for me, and now I am seriously trapped.

April
Reply 4
Original post by prellabella

Any advice of how to leave my course during second year?

How you leave - just tell your uni and Student Finance. There will probably be forms to be filled for the uni and Sf might demand immediate repayment of some of the money they've already given you.

The good and the bad?

Well the big downside is that you won't have enough Student Finance entitlement to do a different degree from scratch. You'd have to pay for most of your first year yourself.

Unless the regs have changed in the past few months, the degree you need to qualify you as a paramedic, isn't covered by NHS funding or the exemption which means you can get extra funding if it's your second degree.
Original post by prellabella
Hello, I am kind of in the same situation. I am currently on my second year and I have started to really hate my course. It is not for me whatsoever. I do not feel that Classical Music combined with Education Studies is for me whatsoever.

Any advice of how to leave my course during second year? The good and the bad?

In regards to you leaving on your first year and you hate it now I SERIOUSLY ADVISE that you leave the course asap, work for a while and reapply if you wish to start a fresh for September. It does not get better, it got worse for me, and now I am seriously trapped.

April

I'm the same. I'm half way through second year because every time i previously expressed to someone that i hated my course or am unhappy i get 'awk it'll be fine' 'it'll get better' 'just get your head down' etc etc. Now i'm stuck here cause i've 'wasted my finance' or whatever. No idea what to do now.

For the OP - go with your gut, sometimes it will improve but in my case it seems to be going completely downhill. Just think about all options before doing anything drastic but at the same time don't hesitate for too long and end up trapped in a course like myself and others. ^

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I've just done the first semester of Architecture (first year). But I don't think that this course is for me and I've some research and found that i want to do marketing. I've spoken to the course administrator and he said i have to wait till September.

I've made an appointment with my tutor to discuss this on Monday, but do you think i should carry on with the course for this year and then change or just drop out? I don't mind sticking with it till the end of the year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by maxi365
I've just done the first semester of Architecture (first year). But I don't think that this course is for me and I've some research and found that i want to do marketing. I've spoken to the course administrator and he said i have to wait till September.

I've made an appointment with my tutor to discuss this on Monday, but do you think i should carry on with the course for this year and then change or just drop out? I don't mind sticking with it till the end of the year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Be careful how long you wait because your funding could be affected if you start your second year!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
can i ask what the course at uea is like and what you didn't like about it? i've applied to something similar- American lit with CW but am still a bit unsure about going to uni and UEA
Reply 9
wow there's so many people disliking their course on this thread!

Can't really say I've fully enjoyed mine so far but meh I love it sometimes.
Original post by Jennifer Neil
Be careful how long you wait because your funding could be affected if you start your second year!

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you mean? I'm not going to start Architecture courses for the second year if that's what you mean, I'm going to transfer so i start marketing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Where are you? I didn't even think about this ha.. i'm in Scotland so if you're in England or elsewhere i wont be much help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jennifer Neil
Where are you? I didn't even think about this ha.. i'm in Scotland so if you're in England or elsewhere i wont be much help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah England lol. Frankie Boyle made me love Scotland by the way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh well then just ignore me lol but still dont waste too much time on a course you're not enjoying! Ahaa its a close call between him and kevin bridges!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest