The Student Room Group

Boko Haram just slaughtered 2000 Africans? Where is the outrage?

Scroll to see replies

Well IMO there's a news values thing which means that barbarity in africa is less newsworthy than barbarity in europe and america which sits at odds with ideas about universal human rights etc. and is a bit hypocritical.

but TBH Paris is a major world capital with loads of international journalists and TV crews already located right there waiting for something interesting to happen so they can justify their expense accounts, this isn't the case in remote nigerian villages liable to be attacked by islamist militias... it'll be days before there's any verification of what's happened somewhere like that by which time it's already old news.

FWIW there was an islamist bombing outside a police recruiting centre in Yemen this week - 37 dead
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-30706208
it got some coverage but not much
Original post by Xenorebrem

It's just depressing that the same response was not seen in this case.

You seem to be confused. It would be reasonable to expect a similar response if Twitter users had access to both pieces of news in equal measure. If one piece of news has been top of the agenda for two days, and the other is only just trickling out of Nigeria in the last 12 hours or so, then it is not reasonable to expect a similar response. That is basic logic.

The fact you are ignoring basic logical considerations would indicate you are either poorly educated in that area or you have an agenda. Which is it?
It's a daily occurrence. Would love to know when all of this would end.
Original post by young_guns
You seem to be confused. It would be reasonable to expect a similar response if Twitter users had access to both pieces of news in equal measure. If one piece of news has been top of the agenda for two days, and the other is only just trickling out of Nigeria in the last 12 hours or so, then it is not reasonable to expect a similar response. That is basic logic.

The fact you are ignoring basic logical considerations would indicate you are either poorly educated in that area or you have an agenda. Which is it?

I suppose I shall hold you to your word when in a week's time, the corpses that lie in the streets of Nigeria are forgotten.
And an annual ceremony will be held in the name of Charlie Hebdo.
Reply 24
250000 tweets in the 5 hours following the Paris attack clearly indicates the level of emotion connected with these deaths. the number of people globally who have been following online the events that have been going on for days in a country with high levels of internet access, open media coverage and 24x7 video news.
ftfy
Reply 25
I suppose I shall hold you to your word when in a week's time, the corpses that lie in the streets of Nigeria are forgotten.
And an annual ceremony will be held in the name of Charlie Hebdo.

You're no better. You're just trying to make capital out of the lack of coverage and what you percieve as a disparity - it's not clear that you actually care about these dead Nigerians either.
Original post by Clip
You're no better. You're just trying to make capital out of the lack of coverage and what you percieve as a disparity - it's not clear that you actually care about these dead Nigerians either.

I am not even Muslim so what agenda would I have?
Original post by Clip

it's called media bias.

stop trying to wiggle around it.

pay your condolences and then **** off.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Original post by missfats
it's called media bias.

stop trying to wiggle around it.

pay your condolences and then **** off.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry. I just don't care enough. I don't pretend to, either.
Reply 29
I am not even Muslim so what agenda would I have?

You're just attention seeking.
Original post by Clip

First, tries to put an agenda on the OP, then states I don't care... then I look into his profile, showing how worked up he got about the french.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
First, tries to put an agenda on the OP, then states I don't care... then I look into his profile, showing how worked up he got about the french.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did try to put an agenda on the OP - that he's an attention seeker.

I'll put one on you, too - that you're a clueless numpty.
Original post by Clip
You're just attention seeking.

Original post by Clip

Please do not respond to this thread. Your lack of empathy is extremely disturbing and no offence but throughout this conversation I had assumed I was talking to a fully sane Human being.
Reply 33
Please do not respond to this thread. Your lack of empathy is extremely disturbing and no offence but throughout this conversation I had assumed I was talking to a fully sane Human being.

I'm not lacking in empathy - I'm just not a hand-wringing hypocrite. It's sad that people have been killed in this way, but it's not a situation where it makes any difference if I get directed by two imbeciles trying to win the internet.
i'm in looooove with the boko

he does indeed.

just ignore him.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
he does indeed.

just ignore him.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's the way. Make stuff up. Then pretend you didn't. Call it a win. Well done. You won the internet.
So I guess African lives aren't worth much then?

The internet virtually blew up when news of the 12 Frenchmen was released...

:hmmm:

"Suleiman Dauda, 12, said he ran into the bushes with neighbours when extremists attacked his village, Askira Uba, near Yola last year.

“I saw them kill my father, they slaughtered him like a ram. And up until now I don’t know where my mother is,” he told the Associated Press at Daware refugee camp in Yola."

From the Guardian.

Edit:

Some of the responses to the thread have made me realise that I have spoken too soon.
I do not have an agenda.
I was simply frustrated by the double standard and only wanted to see what other people's views are. I do hope that careful action is taken to wipe the name Boko Haram off the face of our planet.

Ok, how about I give you a few reasons for why the attacks in France received more press coverage than the Boko Haram massacre.

1) Where it happened. What happened as soon as this incident in France occurred? New crews from all around Europe were rocking up there with cameras, able to present live updates and news from the scene itself. What kind of coverage could they have provided about the incident in Nigeria? The very fact that it wasn't even known to have happened until a while afterwards is a pretty good indication that they couldn't have exactly provided much coverage.

2) Look at the amount of detail that the various news networks can provide regarding what happened in France, huge amounts of detail, full backstories about the men who did it, obituaries for everybody who was killed, detailed timelines of what happened and when, video footage, interviews with people, and so on. How much detail can they provide about the incident in Nigeria? Well they know who did it, they know where it happened and they know roughly how many were killed. That's it. No matter how hard you try you can't flesh that out to be a huge page filler.

3) Which one of them is more out of the ordinary? Militants in Nigeria continue to do what they have done for the last five years and kill some more people, or terrorist attack in mainland Europe? While the massacre in Nigeria is a dreadful thing, it's not exactly unexpected in a country where roughly 10,000 people were killed by Boko Haram last year, and like it or not the story that gets the most coverage is always going to be the one that is most unique.

4) The Paris incident is much closer to home, as a result of that our country will be on high alert over the possibility of an attack, our closest neighbours have soldiers on the streets, and it's an incident which has had a big effect on a country very close to us, whereas the massacre in Nigeria was in Nigeria, while it's tragic it doesn't effect us, there is no risk to us, and so as far as the news is concerned it's less of a story.
People don't care about what goes on in Africa because they are desensitised to the terrible situations most African states are in. A lot of people also feel helpless in the sense that in the past (and present) a lot of foreign aid went to corrupt governments.

Also African countries do not really affect other countries a great deal on the international/political stage outside of Africa.

It's also a common misconception that Africa has no resources or oil. It actually has a lot, but states are so unstable that it is difficult/risky to get to.

Finally, sadly, when black people are killed it's not as big of a deal to the Western world.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Dani California
Because we aren't supposed to see things like this in Europe, we're supposed to be civilised.
But i'd like to offer you some outrage become i'm not happy about those Africans being killed either.

Lol tell that to the lot living in Moss side, Manchester

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending