The Student Room Group

Anyone reading the 'Handsmaid tale' and 'Never Let me Go'?

Literature lovers, gather here!
I know what it's about and partially watched the film. Never Let Me Go that is.
Original post by MissLalaxx
I know what it's about and partially watched the film. Never Let Me Go that is.

It's a great book! I recommend you read - I've also watched the film but it didn't do the book any justice tbh! You study IB literature? If yes, what books you reading?
Original post by AcuraIntergurl
It's a great book! I recommend you read - I've also watched the film but it didn't do the book any justice tbh! You study IB literature? If yes, what books you reading?

I didn't like the film. Yeah I'll try to get hold of it. Actually no I don't but If there's a good book that you've read please recommend. I'd like to get into my reading a lot more.
Original post by MissLalaxx
I didn't like the film. Yeah I'll try to get hold of it. Actually no I don't but If there's a good book that you've read please recommend. I'd like to get into my reading a lot more.

Oh okay! And there are tons!
Depends on what you like, I'd recommend Slaughterhouse 5
Oh okay! And there are tons!
Depends on what you like, I'd recommend Slaughterhouse 5

Okay thanks I'll look it up.:smile:
Ahhh! I finished Never Let Me Go two months ago, going to study The Handmaid's Tale next year! What other books are you doing? I'm currently reading The Assault by Harry Mulisch, which is AMAZING.
Original post by cookiestarninja
Ahhh! I finished Never Let Me Go two months ago, going to study The Handmaid's Tale next year! What other books are you doing? I'm currently reading The Assault by Harry Mulisch, which is AMAZING.

I've heard so much about the 'The Assault' ! I've finished reading Jane Eyre, 1984, The Book Thief.
You're going to enjoy The Handmaid's tale if you are a fan of dystopians!
How should I approach studying for Never Let Me Go, I certainly appreciate the text however I'm having troubles studying and analysing it.
1984 is definitely one of my all time favourites, and my teacher has already been getting us excited about The Handmaid's Tale :smile:

In addition to Never Let Me Go and The Assault, I've done Persepolis as well as a few poems by Sylvia Plath. I'll be moving onto The Reader and A Doll's House in just a bit.

I don't think there is a 'correct' approach for studying Never Let Me Go- however, you can look into author's craft (Ishiguro did state in an interview that he intended Never Let Me Go to be more of a love story and not a sci-fi novel), as well as relationships (a HUGE theme in the novel) and memories. There's quite a lot to look into about memories- how much of a reliable narrator is Kathy? Her stream of consciousness/Ishiguro's writing of a bildungsroman is also extremely interesting. However, my ultimate favourite is the notion of clones and the dystopian atmosphere it gives to the story- the loss of hope (Ms Lucy telling the children about Hollywood), the significance of Hailsham as well as the theme of control and secrecy (e.g. not knowing who's in charge, espionage, and government incentives). Better yet, you can talk about Kathy's relationship with Ruth and Tommy and their inevitable downfall. At least thats how my teacher decided to look into it.

(Is it wrong that I got excited while writing this?) Hope this helps!!
1984 is definitely one of my all time favourites, and my teacher has already been getting us excited about The Handmaid's Tale :smile:

In addition to Never Let Me Go and The Assault, I've done Persepolis as well as a few poems by Sylvia Plath. I'll be moving onto The Reader and A Doll's House in just a bit.

I don't think there is a 'correct' approach for studying Never Let Me Go- however, you can look into author's craft (Ishiguro did state in an interview that he intended Never Let Me Go to be more of a love story and not a sci-fi novel), as well as relationships (a HUGE theme in the novel) and memories. There's quite a lot to look into about memories- how much of a reliable narrator is Kathy? Her stream of consciousness/Ishiguro's writing of a bildungsroman is also extremely interesting. However, my ultimate favourite is the notion of clones and the dystopian atmosphere it gives to the story- the loss of hope (Ms Lucy telling the children about Hollywood), the significance of Hailsham as well as the theme of control and secrecy (e.g. not knowing who's in charge, espionage, and government incentives). Better yet, you can talk about Kathy's relationship with Ruth and Tommy and their inevitable downfall. At least thats how my teacher decided to look into it.

No! being excited is great. You know, I was actually wondering what Ishiguro intended to portray in the novel. It seems like we overcomplicated it if it's intended to be a love story!
Possibly, it is set in a ddystopia society to emphasise the emotion of love and the theme of friendship?
Yeah I agree with you on doubting Kathy's narration! Especially when she described Tommy's drawing as 'vulnerable' and 'sweet', when the drawings were 'metallic' and 'busy'. Just shows you how much her love for him overpowered her ability to objective!

I love Persepolis! I watched the film, I really wanted to read and do my IOP on it however, my teacher removed it from our reading list because students prior to our year were unable to analyse it(They were extremely narrow minded and unable to open their minds to texts about other cultures without coming across as complete douches). I'm also a big History head which is probably why I also wanted to study it.

And Aww, you are really going to enjoy the Handsmaid tale! I advice you to dig into Second-wave Feminism, it seems like that's where Atwood got most of her influences to write the book. Also, she was a massive fan of Orwell!
Reply 10
The handmaid's tale is definitely one of my favourite books! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
No! being excited is great. You know, I was actually wondering what Ishiguro intended to portray in the novel. It seems like we overcomplicated it if it's intended to be a love story!
Possibly, it is set in a ddystopia society to emphasise the emotion of love and the theme of friendship?
Yeah I agree with you on doubting Kathy's narration! Especially when she described Tommy's drawing as 'vulnerable' and 'sweet', when the drawings were 'metallic' and 'busy'. Just shows you how much her love for him overpowered her ability to objective!

I love Persepolis! I watched the film, I really wanted to read and do my IOP on it however, my teacher removed it from our reading list because students prior to our year were unable to analyse it(They were extremely narrow minded and unable to open their minds to texts about other cultures without coming across as complete douches). I'm also a big History head which is probably why I also wanted to study it.

And Aww, you are really going to enjoy the Handsmaid tale! I advice you to dig into Second-wave Feminism, it seems like that's where Atwood got most of her influences to write the book. Also, she was a massive fan of Orwell!

Aw! :frown: I used Persepolis for my IOP and I had the topic of moral degradation: a product of war, or a product of change? It was extremely interesting to look into and I actually had so much fun with my IOP (lol) But still, you have a lot of options for Never Let Me Go if you do intend on using this book for your IOP- in fact, most people in my class chose Never Let Me Go. Two friends of mine managed to score extremely well- one took the role of Ishiguro and explained all of his reasons for writing the book as a love story and meanings behind other scenes in the book. The other friend did a dramatic monologue of Kathy thinking about hope.

HAHA do you take HL History? I do, and I'm loving it so much! I'm taking route 2 so I'm almost done with the Cold War and Japan 1898-1952 (we do 1 SL and 1 HL topic at the same time, its so exhausting omg).
Reply 12

I read The Reader last year in the original language (German) and it is AMAZING!! (even though I usually don't like reading in German :P ) I'm sure you'll love it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending