The Student Room Group

Should I pull an all nighter to fix my sleep patter?

Okay so for the past week or so I haven't been able to sleep until around 5am each night/morning and then waking up at around 2pm or half 12 if I'm lucky.

I've tried setting earlier alarms but seeing as I don't have anything that I NEED to get up for (uni break) I just end up going back to sleep anyway.

So do you think pulling an all nighter and perhaps going to bed at 11pm later on would work?
It works for me, just make sure you don't pussy out and fall asleep at 5pm and end up waking up at 2am
Reply 2
Hello, like-minded people. I am in the same boat. Over-the-counter Nytol also works for forcing sleep, but you have to take it at about 5pm if you want it to work in time.
Reply 3
Original post by blackened_sky
It works for me, just make sure you don't pussy out and fall asleep at 5pm and end up waking up at 2am

haha nah I'm usually quite good at keeping myself stimulated if I have to. I'll go for a run in the blizzard outside if I have to.

Original post by Smonnie
Hello, like-minded people. I am in the same boat. Over-the-counter Nytol also works for forcing sleep, but you have to take it at about 5pm if you want it to work in time.

Hey, I've never taken sleeping pills or anything like that. Does it have any side effects?
Reply 4
Original post by Zander01
Okay so for the past week or so I haven't been able to sleep until around 5am each night/morning and then waking up at around 2pm or half 12 if I'm lucky.

I've tried setting earlier alarms but seeing as I don't have anything that I NEED to get up for (uni break) I just end up going back to sleep anyway.

So do you think pulling an all nighter and perhaps going to bed at 11pm later on would work?

Yes it works for me, go to sleep at 7pm the earliest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5

Hey, I've never taken sleeping pills or anything like that. Does it have any side effects?

None the evening you take them, but if you take them too late, you can still feel fuzzy the next morning. E.g., I have taken them at 7pm before, fallen asleep around midnight, and then felt fuzzy until about 10:00 the next day. I guess it's all down to metabolism and body weight, but first time, I'd advise you to try at a weekend or when you don't have to be up by a particular time.

I've not found them to be addictive or anything, though, and I tend to just use them for a re-boot.
Reply 6

Worst side effect I've ever had off them is a bit of a dry mouth in the morning.
Just have a short day. Go do some excersise, and then go to bed by 10 ish. It's what I'm doing to reset my sleep pattern. Again...I went to bed at like 2am, work up about 12pm...so now I need to reset it in time, so I'm up in good time for the 9am class on monday morning...oh the joys of student life.
Normally I just wait until I have something to get up for and then that sorts it out temporarily.

Pretty bad example is today: I had to get up before midday and I'm still up at 4am :redface:

Quick Reply