Why I'm not Charlie and never will be

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DiddyDec
And why is it that?

Original post by mariachi
if you like censorship and despise intellectual freedom, then go for it

enjoy

Criticism Censorship

Charlie Hebdo has made numerous extremely racist, homophobic comics. Although they insult other religions equally, they seem to go one step further when insulting Muslims. Hebdo contributes to the marginalisation of discriminated groups that are already oppressed; its not 'just a cartoon'. Their work is viciously disgusting and goes above satire and into the realm of racism, xenophobia etc. They shouldn't have been killed, I condemn the murders just like I condemn the cartoons. So now, Charlie Hebdo is now being put on a pedestal as a western saviour and campaigner for free speech. They never were. If you champion free speech, you will not support Charlie Hebdo's work as they use it as a blanket to spread hate, islamophobia, racism and incite violence/ xenophobia.

So no, I am not Charlie. If I am anyone it would be Ahmed, the (muslim) policeman who was killed. He died protecting Charlie Hebdo who ridiculed his culture, ethnicity and faith. He died defending and protecting free speech and is a true hero.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 161
Original post by SophiaLDN
Criticism Censorship

Charlie Hebdo has made numerous extremely racist, homophobic comics. Although they insult other religions equally, they seem to go one step further when insulting Muslims. Hebdo contributes to the marginalisation of discriminated groups that are already oppressed; its not 'just a cartoon'. Their work is viciously disgusting and goes above satire and into the realm of racism, xenophobia etc. They shouldn't have been killed, I condemn the murders just like I condemn the cartoons. So now, Charlie Hebdo is now being put on a pedestal as a western saviour and campaigner for free speech. They never were. If you champion free speech, you will not support Charlie Hebdo's work as they use it as a blanket to spread hate, islamophobia, racism and incite violence/ xenophobia.

So no, I am not Charlie. If I am anyone it would be Ahmed, the (muslim) policeman who was killed. He died protecting Charlie Hebdo who ridiculed his culture, ethnicity and faith. He died defending and protecting free speech and is a true hero.

BS, they supported gay marriage. They are an ANARCHO-MARXIST magazine, they ideologically can NOT be racist. The whole purpose of the magazine is to use the discourse of their enemies (capitalists, fascists, religions...) in order to turn them into ridicule.
I think that you can only understand the cartoons if you can read French and have a good knowledge of French history and politics.
Charlie Hebdo were just an easy target - and a target picked to create the most 'impact'/worldwide media attention.

I think what is missing from all the discussion regarding freedom of speech is that western states/governments (including France) have been interfering in the Middle East for a long time and this is what extremists/terrorists use as justification for their actions against the West.

Unfortunately, I fear that these attacks are only likely to increase.
Criticism Censorship

How good is your french?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Josb
BS, they supported gay marriage. They are an ANARCHO-MARXIST magazine, they ideologically can NOT be racist. The whole purpose of the magazine is to use the discourse of their enemies (capitalists, fascists, religions...) in order to turn them into ridicule.
I think that you can only understand the cartoons if you can read French and have a good knowledge of French history and politics.

But they can be racist & they were. E.g Justice Minister being depicted as a monkey because a right-wing politician called her that. Lets make fun of racists by mocking the victims and in turn being racist.
But they can be racist & they were. E.g Justice Minister being depicted as a monkey because a right-wing politician called her that. Lets make fun of racists by mocking the victims and in turn being racist.

That's not being racist. That's satire. You're missing the entire point.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Obiejess
That's not being racist. That's satire. You're missing the entire point.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Satire is to mock oppressors not victims.
Satire is to mock oppressors not victims.

It is mocking the oppressors. It's making itself look stupid in the same way the racists do. This actually defends the victims.

It's the same as mock UKIP accounts on twitter, that post stuff like 'Quick! Bomb the ragheads back'. This may actually seem like an awful comment, but it's them copying oppressors in order to mock them. This is satire.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Criticism Censorship

Charlie Hebdo has made numerous extremely racist, homophobic comics and bla bla bla
you can criticise Charlie Hebdo all you want (and you may even perhaps make some good points) but this has nothing to do with the present situation.

These people were massacred by terrorists who took the law in their hands, and went against any rule of a viable society.

So, yes, we are all (or almost all) Charlie Hebdo. The worldwide outpour of solidarity is impressive, and the massacred people have (quite rightly) become heroes.

It takes a lot of courage to stand up against continuous threats, armed only with your pencils... and I deeply admire those people who didn't accept to be bullied into silence
(edited 9 years ago)
Come on Guardian journalists, we need more columns on Charlie Hebdo. NOW.
Edit: Another artist's take on the situation.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Obiejess
It is mocking the oppressors. It's making itself look stupid in the same way the racists do. This actually defends the victims.

It's the same as mock UKIP accounts on twitter, that post stuff like 'Quick! Bomb the ragheads back'. This may actually seem like an awful comment, but it's them copying oppressors in order to mock them. This is satire.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Two different things. One does satire correctly whilst the other does not & marginalises people. They are not helping or defending victims. The UKIP accounts on twitter act like a member of UKIP and uses satire correctly. Hebdo just illustrated the racist comments and drew a picture of her as a monkey. Is that satire? How is that defending victims and not perpetuating racial slurs that dehumanise black people? Its mocking the victim.
Two different things. One does satire correctly whilst the other does not & marginalises people. They are not helping or defending victims. The UKIP accounts on twitter act like a member of UKIP and uses satire correctly. Hebdo just illustrated the racist comments and drew a picture of her as a monkey. Is that satire? How is that defending victims and not perpetuating racial slurs that dehumanise black people? Its mocking the victim.

They're the exact same thing. I think in a lot of ways you have to understand French culture to understand though. It has a lot of puns, and the obscenity of the image is to represent the obscenity of the comments. It's all about intent.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I ask you again, what is your French like, are you fluent?
Original post by elohssa
It was a genuine question. Who is the cartoonist drawing? It looks a lot like Michelle but the earrings suggest it's someone else.

That is Christiane Taubira. Which you would know if knew anything about french politics.

The cartoon is a response to a right wing paper (Minute) who called her a monkey.
Original post by DiddyDec
That is Christiane Taubira. Which you would know if knew anything about french politics.

The cartoon is a response to a right wing paper (Minute) who called her a monkey.

Well that's the thing, I don't know much about French politics. Thanks for clarifying.
Original post by elohssa
Well that's the thing, I don't know much about French politics. Thanks for clarifying.

This is the problem with people trying to understand french satire when they neither speak french or understand french politics and culture.

You could have done exactly what I did to find out who was in the picture. Reverse image search.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by help!!!!!!!!!!
click on the link it explains why http://avantblargh.tumblr.com/post/107422672105

btw i DON'T CONDONE the shooting

"I am a black woman who understands how frustrated one can be as whites continue to use laws as an excuse to be abusive"

Just some extreme prejudice against white people... but wait its ok for her because she said she is black which obviously gives her the right to make extremely hateful generalizations about white people, because we whites are the worst thing that has ever happened to the society.

Im sorry to break it to you but racial stereotyping goes both ways and if you promote this statement then you are no better than she is
Original post by mkap
what these Muslims did was wrong, but I'm sorry these people were not innocent. They were incredibly blasphemous and Anti-Islamic,

Why shouldn't they be blasphemous. Islam may not be their religion. It is not against the law to be blasphemous is France. Being blasphemous in France does not give people the right to come into your workplace and murder you in cold blood!!!!

JE SUIS CHARLIE

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending