The Student Room Group

Economics applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ProbablyPassing
I'm assuming I'm getting a rejection from Cambridge tomorrow.. what d'you guys think I should go for out of LSE or Warwick for my firm? (also have Nottingham or Durham but meh)

Umm LSE by a long way, why the doubt? Don't give up on Cambridge yet!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NinjaPandaa
Congratulations on the oxford offer :biggrin: I'm assuming you'll be firming there so what's your insurance going to be? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll put Leeds as my insurance, I loved the open day and especially their year in industry opportunities
Original post by Hannahmeg
I'll put Leeds as my insurance, I loved the open day and especially their year in industry opportunities

Leeds is going to be my insurance too!
Original post by ProbablyPassing
I'm assuming I'm getting a rejection from Cambridge tomorrow.. what d'you guys think I should go for out of LSE or Warwick for my firm? (also have Nottingham or Durham but meh)

I feel it's unfair how everyone's ready to dismiss Warwick simply because LSE has the 'economics' in its name... Undergrad there really isn't much difference to it, although at Warwick you could pick optional modules from other departments if that interests you, Research (PostGrad) LSE is better but that shouldn't really concern you much as an undergrad. For your typical IB/managerial job in the UK, its not gonna make much (if any) difference, both are similarly reputed even if LSE is marginally better. Globally, LSE is more recognised so might make it easier to get a job abroad if you're looking to that. Campus vs City? London vs Coventry? Personal preference, both have pros and cons.

If you still can't decide deffo visit both offer-holders open day to get a feel, they're totally different. If you wanna play it safe pick LSE, but Warwick wouldn't necessarily leave you worse off. I was in a similar position to you last year, and, even though I was slightly put off by London, I picked LSE over Warwick as its open-day was enough to sway me. :biggrin:

Best of luck with Camb, never know!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2404
Original post by chughes17
Thanks! I'm buzzing, was always a bit nervous when Warwick rejected me a day before Oxford interviews but I'm so glad I got it! Now waiting on LSE, but there's no real point, I only applied to A*AA courses, so I won't have an insurance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What were your stats if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by dstunr
What were your stats if you don't mind me asking?

Pretty awful;

GCSE: 5A* 4A 1C (C in PE)

AS First time: AS Maths A, A2 Maths A*, AS Physics B, AS General Studies C

AS Second time: AS Chem A, AS Bio A, AS Further Maths A, AS PE C

A2 Predictions: A* Chem, Bio, Physics, Further Maths, Plus A* already achieved in Maths

However, I definitely don't think it was my grades that got me an offer, was definitely my interviews. So many other applicants would have had far better grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pretty awful;

GCSE: 5A* 4A 1C (C in PE)

AS First time: AS Maths A, A2 Maths A*, AS Physics B, AS General Studies C

AS Second time: AS Chem A, AS Bio A, AS Further Maths A, AS PE C

A2 Predictions: A* Chem, Bio, Physics, Further Maths, Plus A* already achieved in Maths

However, I definitely don't think it was my grades that got me an offer, was definitely my interviews. So many other applicants would have had far better grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pretty good!Surprised they accept retakes and well done! :biggrin:
Original post by andreia1110
Me too! who do you think you'll choose?

I'm gonna chose Bath over Bristol because of the placement year. Bath's open day was amazing as well, really feel like i could live there for 3 years.
Who are you thinking of choosing and where else have you applied?
Original post by Skill Twix
Pretty good!Surprised they accept retakes and well done! :biggrin:

Well I didn't actually retake anything at all, subjects or modules, so maybe they just looked at it as just my most recent AS year and the A2 year I'm doing now, and disregarded the first time. I have no idea, I'm just happy to be in!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well I didn't actually retake anything at all, subjects or modules, so maybe they just looked at it as just my most recent AS year and the A2 year I'm doing now, and disregarded the first time. I have no idea, I'm just happy to be in!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well done :biggrin:
Congratulations!!!

Thank you, was so happy! Good luck for Cambridge today!
Well done :biggrin:

Thanks, good luck with your choices! Warwick and Notts if I remember rightly from earlier in the thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks, good luck with your choices! Warwick and Notts if I remember rightly from earlier in the thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Warwick,Notts and Bristol!
Just got an offer for Economics at Pembroke!!!!! Not going to lie, literally cried when I read it :biggrin:
Original post by ScienceGeek!
Just got an offer for Economics at Pembroke!!!!! Not going to lie, literally cried when I read it :biggrin:

Well done!!
Original post by ScienceGeek!

Well done!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jchap9776
Well done!!

Did you two get any responses?
Original post by jchap9776
Well done!!

Thank you! :smile:

Such a relief, thanks :smile:
Did you two get any responses?

Unfortunately I got pooled and didn't get fished 😭😭😭😭 so praying on the very unlikely event of me getting an LSE offer tbh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending