The Student Room Group

Finding AS level Chemistry hard!

I'm finding Chemistry AS hard especially the Organic Chemistry part. I'm in need of study tips, please help! Not understanding past papers at all! Especially the organic chem questions in which they ask to identify substance F (aldehyde + nitrile or whatever!). In desperate need of help. Thanks!
Original post by ankitnayak
I'm finding Chemistry AS hard especially the Organic Chemistry part. I'm in need of study tips, please help! Not understanding past papers at all! Especially the organic chem questions in which they ask to identify substance F (aldehyde + nitrile or whatever!). In desperate need of help. Thanks!

Hey!
1. I would first recommend drawing a flow chart linking all the organic reactions together e.g draw benzene then an arrow to nitro benzene and put the reagents and conditions on the arrow. This will make the link between different compounds clear. Google organic chemistry flow chart to see a picture of one.
2. Do questions that are specific to the topic (in your textbook) you are doing before you do past paper questions. Past paper questions often combine different reaction which can become confusing if you don't understand a reaction on its own.
I hope these two tips helped, feel free to ask more questions.
Hayley a.k.a A2 Chemistry student
(edited 9 years ago)
I had the same issue. I couldn't figure out how memorize it at all but once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy.

You can not rely on the teacher. You have to do most of inorganic and organic by yourself and the trick is to make your own notes. Read the book and notes from school and write it all down. Writing it down helps you develop a map in your head and then memorize the notes you've made.

I did it chapter wise. For example: The first chap in organic is Hydrocarbons yeah? I read the book and noted down all alkane and alkene properties then their reactions and if something were to repeat later, i would write it down again.

You have to revise organic atleast 3 times to really get it. Good luck!
Reply 3
Thanks a lot! I'm gonna make the flowcharts as Hayley Williams suggested and I'm gonna continue making my own notes. Gosh, the past paper questions and End of chapter questions in the book are sooo different! A whole new level! Thanks to you guys for your advice and tips!
Original post by ankitnayak

:hi:

What exam board are you currently doing?
I'm currently doing Edexcel and it isn't too difficult right now, of course it's going to accelerate though

For Organic Chemistry, take notes and if you can, you might want to consider using different colours to represent different things :smile:
Reply 5
Thanks...I'm doing CIE...dunno whether it's edexcel or something else....I've decided to give chem AS in oct-nov this year rather than may-june.

Quick Reply

Latest