The Student Room Group

Normal to not have dated anyone ever?

As the title suggests, is it normal to not have dated anyone in my whole 17 years of existence? lol
I've had a thing with one or two guys but nothing ever happened between us.
I don't wanna sound desperate but srsly though.. being single for so long doesn't help your self esteem at all haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Might be a bit unusual but you shouldn't let it bother you. If you are concerned about it and there is a guy you like then why not just ask him to get a drink with you?

I'm 22 and never been on a date and it doesn't bother me. I've just been very unlucky in my choice of who I've been attracted to.
Reply 2
17 is still very young. I didn't get my first boyfriend till 21. So yeah I'd say it's normal.
You don't need a date. Not at your age
Reply 4
Original post by SirMasterKey
Might be a bit unusual but you shouldn't let it bother you. If you are concerned about it and there is a guy you like then why not just ask him to get a drink with you?

I'm 22 and never been on a date and it doesn't bother me. I've just been very unlucky in my choice of who I've been attracted to.

It doesn't help that I'm afraid of showing any signs / making the first move. I'm always waiting for someone to approach me first... Maybe that's the problem but aah so difficult to change that kind of attitude :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
What
Is
Normal?

Its fine dawg
Hold tight, OP. I say this a lot, but if it turns out that the first person you end up with is also your last, it could be magic! So don't worry too much about not dating anyone for now.

Every day you spend single is a day that you become a more perfect, developed version of yourself!

Of course, you could casually get involved with someone if you're not particularly idealistic and just want to get your first relationship over with. If it's something you're constantly fixated with, this could be a better route. As when people obsess over their virginity - sometimes just casually losing it will be enough to allow them to move forward with the rest of their lives.
Original post by milkberries
It doesn't help that I'm afraid of showing any signs / making the first move. I'm always waiting for someone to approach me first... Maybe that's the problem but aah so difficult to change that kind of attitude :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

So are guys to be fair. Noone wants to make the first move and look a wally if it goes pear shaped. It's all about confidence. If a friendship is broken because of a crush not being reciprocated than that person quite simply was not worth it. A couple of girls when finding out I fancied them back in school, refused to talk to me when they found out and our friendship was lost. That is pathetic. I'm still good friends with other girls I've fancied since then and it didn't affect the friendship at all.
Reply 8
Original post by Calpurnia
Hold tight, OP. I say this a lot, but if it turns out that the first person you end up with is also your last, it could be magic! So don't worry too much about not dating anyone for now.

Every day you spend single is a day that you become a more perfect, developed version of yourself!

Of course, you could casually get involved with someone if you're not particularly idealistic and just want to get your first relationship over with. If it's something you're constantly fixated with, this could be a better route. As when people obsess over their virginity - sometimes just casually losing it will be enough to allow them to move forward with the rest of their lives.

I wish I was the type to just go after someone and get my first relationship over with. But is it odd that I'm looking for someone that could potentially lead to a long-term relationship even though I don't have any dating experiences to begin with? I think my high expectations are also hindering my chances :/

Speaking of first times, I've clearly never had a first kiss either and this makes going clubbing very difficult due to the hookup culture. But once again, I don't want to waste my first kiss on a hookup you know?

Posted from TSR Mobile
As the title suggests, is it normal to not have dated anyone in my whole 17 years of existence? lol
I don't wanna sound desperate but srsly though.. being single for so long doesn't help your self esteem at all haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

I only started dating a few days after my 17th birthday. Tbh before last summer I had come to the conclusion that getting into a relationship was not such a big deal, considering that I only had a year left at home before I leave to Uni. I wasn't expecting to meet someone whom I would fall in love with. So don't torture yourself with it: ofc I did want a bf before that, but I considered that it was not one of the priorities, and in the end it happened when I least expected it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I haven't and i'm nearly 7 years older than you.
Original post by jsearapriet1
I only started dating a few days after my 17th birthday. Tbh before last summer I had come to the conclusion that getting into a relationship was not such a big deal, considering that I only had a year left at home before I leave to Uni. I wasn't expecting to meet someone whom I would fall in love with. So don't torture yourself with it: ofc I did want a bf before that, but I considered that it was not one of the priorities, and in the end it happened when I least expected it.

Ugh same
The fact that I only have a few months left before the end of high school makes me realize that relationships at this time are not important. But then again, I wish I could have the "high school romance" experience haha. Oh weelll

It would be amazing though if something could possibly happen when I least expect it, but I honestly doubt it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ugh same
The fact that I only have a few months left before the end of high school makes me realize that relationships at this time are not important. But then again, I wish I could have the "high school romance" experience haha. Oh weelll

It would be amazing though if something could possibly happen when I least expect it, but I honestly doubt it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I tell you, I felt the same way. Life is a bitch but it will surprise you (for good) at times.
Stopped reading at "whole 17 years of existence" :rolleyes:
im 22 and ive never had any interest. ever. youre still a teenager.
I'm 17 and I've never dated anybody - so you're not alone :biggrin:
Original post by sherlockfan
Stopped reading at "whole 17 years of existence" :rolleyes:
im 22 and ive never had any interest. ever. youre still a teenager.

Exactly. I'm a teenager and so obviously I want to experience as many things as I can, with a relationship being one.

You've never had interest in anyone ever? I sniff a lie here 😏

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wish I was the type to just go after someone and get my first relationship over with. But is it odd that I'm looking for someone that could potentially lead to a long-term relationship even though I don't have any dating experiences to begin with? I think my high expectations are also hindering my chances :/

Speaking of first times, I've clearly never had a first kiss either and this makes going clubbing very difficult due to the hookup culture. But once again, I don't want to waste my first kiss on a hookup you know?

Well, first of all, kudos! Of course it's entirely subjective, but I think it's great to have high standards.

Unfortunately, finding a meaningful relationship is ridiculously hard. There's a couple of ways to go about it - you find someone who is okay, and hope that the magic grows out of nothing/a small amount of compatibility. Or you can hold out for someone who seems perfect and hope they feel the same about you.

Tragically I don't think I've ever known anyone who's met their ideal match and ended up with them. I think in theory it's possible to meet someone who ticks some of your boxes, and then over time your criteria can change, or they can tick new boxes, and it can work out that way. It's always a risk though, and it's why people end up having lots of relationships even though all they want is one long-term one.

Personally I've been in two long-term relationships that lasted nearly three years each. Both started with someone who I felt I had potential with, grew really well, then reached critical mass where we ran out of common ground and the only room to keep moving forward would mean one party seriously compromising. At that point, there's not much you can do to stop it falling apart. I have a feeling that's why people sometimes have kids - to give the relationship a new direction to grow into.

But that's miles off topic! I think your best bet is just try to get to know as many people as possible. This is the only way you're going to improve your odds of finding that special person. Join clubs, societies, get a new job, move to a new area, take whatever opportunities that come your way. And at least then, your search for romance will also lead you on an interesting path through life!
yes. I know normal people who are 20 and haven't dated. Don't worry about it
Reply 18
I would say 17 is still a pretty young age for you to be in a relationship. In fact it is quite normal unless you feel otherwise.
Exactly. I'm a teenager and so obviously I want to experience as many things as I can, with a relationship being one.

You've never had interest in anyone ever? I sniff a lie here ������

Posted from TSR Mobile

it's no lie.
Edit: sorry, i misread. I meant that no one has ever been interested in me.

youll have plenty of time for relationships. it doesn't matter if your life isn't exactly a High School Musical right now and just because everyone else your age seems to be snogging each other doesn't mean you have to, too. more important things to focus on like your studies.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending