The Student Room Group

Cambridge 'No Hopers' 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by RainbowVeins
I feel it's so cruel to reject someone with a single page of letter...but anyway I might go volunteering later to distract myself :yep:

It said she'd have to contact them for feedback on why so she didn't even get that yet which sucks :frown: But thank god I didn't have to do another interview. My other ones went so badly, I think a 3rd would've gone much the same!
Original post by Reacher65
Average GCSE's
90% UMS average

At the interview, the guy practically helped me step to step solving the maths problems (applied for Engineering). One time he got me to say the answer to one of the questions out loud, I still stared blankly at the paper, I just froze.

Most annoying is the fact that only 2 applied from my school and people are expecting us to get in, so I have to face a week of pity and sympathy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sorry to say that, but you'll have to face a year of pity and sympathy :frown:
Original post by gnathaniel1
Now I feel that private schools have no purpose....... I asked everyone else how they did and they all go to state comprehensive schools....... I have the exact if not just slightly better gcse grades than them and I have no had any oxbridge whatsoever. I'm not rich nor am I poor but if cambridge really wanted me....do I have to give up my wealth just to be accepted.

I agree with this post 100%. There is some obvious prejudice against privately educated pupils, even if you are there on a scholarship or your parents have made huge sacrifices to send you there so that you can get a place at Oxbridge one day but then you may be rejected solely on the basis of being from one.

It shouldn't have anything to do with the applications process, at least IMHO, and they should surely just look at you as a candidate.
(edited 9 years ago)
I am the No Hopers.
Got rejected by Cambridge.
**** Cambridge, and yes, I want to **** you.
Anyone joining me in Imperial?
Reply 104
Original post by Kolasinac138
I agree with this post 100%. There is some obvious prejudice against privately educated pupils, even if you are there on a scholarship or your parents have made huge sacrifices to send you there so that you can get a place at Oxbridge one day but then you may be rejected solely on the basis of being from one.

It shouldn't have anything to do with the applications process, at least IMHO, and they should surely just look at you as a candidate.

You can't be serious? Private schoolers represent less than 10% of the population yet they get 40% of offers at Oxbridge. They know what they're doing, and they'll be well aware of your circumstances from your reference.
Reply 105
Original post by DCMed96
I am the No Hopers.

Unlucky mate. I nearly did, but Imperial gave me an absurdly high offer.
Original post by TVIO
You can't be serious? Private schoolers represent less than 10% of the population yet they get 40% of offers at Oxbridge. They know what they're doing, and they'll be well aware of your circumstances from your reference.

:s-smilie:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/9821490/Is-there-a-private-school-prejudice.html

I also know a guy who had A*A*A*A*A* at A-level and was good all round, but got rejected. I'm not saying it definitely happens, but it certainly seems that way.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by DCMed96
I am the No Hopers.

If I manage to somehow meet the requirements :tongue:
Reply 108
:s-smilie:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/9821490/Is-there-a-private-school-prejudice.html

I also know a guy who had A*A*A*A*A* at A-level and was good all round, but got rejected. I'm not saying it definitely happens, but it certainly seems that way.

Can't find the source now, but with the exact same grades at AS/A2 a state student is statistically going to do better at Cambridge than an equivalent private schooled one. I appreciate you're annoyed about your circumstances, but to suggest there's any significant bias against private schools is just wrong given the overwhelmingly high proportion they represent. There's a huge bias against state schoolers and they are trying to correct it using certain methods, which to be honest probably work since they haven't changed them. It leaves a few unfortunate cases, but any system will have injustices occur, there's not really any way to catch them all. The interview system is designed to reduce these to a minimum.
Original post by TVIO
Can't find the source now, but with the exact same grades at AS/A2 a state student is statistically going to do better at Cambridge than an equivalent private schooled one. I appreciate you're annoyed about your circumstances, but to suggest there's any significant bias against private schools is just wrong given the overwhelmingly high proportion they represent. There's a huge bias against state schoolers and they are trying to correct it using certain methods, which to be honest probably work since they haven't changed them. It leaves a few unfortunate cases, but any system will have injustices occur, there's not really any way to catch them all. The interview system is designed to reduce these to a minimum.

This is also something I fail to understand. Most independent schools have replaced A-levels with Pre-U examinations, which are in general harder than A-levels, which is meant to even out that difference you talk of. Despite that, it seems that it isn't ever taken into account.

Also I would argue that the reason that there is such a high proportion at Oxbridge is due to the fact that almost everyone applies, whereas only maybe 5/6 do from other schools.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 110
This is also something I fail to understand. Most independent schools have replaced A-levels with Pre-U examinations, which are in general harder than A-levels, which is meant to even out that difference you talk of. Despite that, it seems that it isn't ever taken into account.

Vast majority of Cambridge people don't end up there by accident (exclude me obviously) and they DO take the best by whoever they consider the best. No one factor is enough to get an offer or a rejection, they take a holistic look at you. No way would I have gotten here if any one factor were crucial.
Reply 111
Original post by DCMed96
I am the No Hopers.

At least you have imperial which is a great uni.. i haven't heard back from camp although i am not hoping either.. and my interview at imperial is on the 27th so if i screw up i lose both.. i am sort of jealous of you bcs having imperial a rejection from cam is less significant..

So i'll congratulate you on imperial... and i hope to be seeing you next year!! :smile:
If I manage to somehow meet the requirements :tongue:

What course do you do?
What about Cambridge for you?
Original post by YvT1
At least you have imperial which is a great uni.. i haven't heard back from camp although i am not hoping either.. and my interview at imperial is on the 27th so if i screw up i lose both.. i am sort of jealous of you bcs having imperial a rejection from cam is less significant..

So i'll congratulate you on imperial... and i hope to be seeing you next year!! :smile:

Yeah... Cambridge doesnt want me.. oh well... they didnt realise how good and talented i am... screw them i guess
I got rejected :smile:

'Highly competitive' and all that bull****.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 115
Original post by DCMed96
Yeah... Cambridge doesnt want me.. oh well... they didnt realise how good and talented i am... screw them i guess

that's the spirit :smile:)
It would be interesting to do a poll and see how many people on this thread actually got offers. I bet it'll be higher than the 'Cambridge Certainties' thread which may or may not exist :smile:
i feel a little bad for starting this thread..... i got an offer from my first choice college....
Was wondering where's my email before finding out that I accidentally deleted it. Applied to med.
Rejection didnt come as a surprise, considering I flunked my BMAT. Disappointed that I didn't get pooled though. Last hope gone and I am feeling extremely apologetic to my parents.
Original post by cappunno18
i feel a little bad for starting this thread..... i got an offer from my first choice college....

Con...congrats :frown: Haha Have fun in camb hehe

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending