The Student Room Group

Speech & Language Therapy 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Higlet
I'm with you on the Leeds front - it seems weird how they said that to you on the phone yet have already given out some interviews :/
Hopefully we'll hear soon though

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly that's why I'm finding it so weird, I might ring again on Monday.

A part of me thinks it's due to me applying quite late on that they've both decided to be quite selective. If I'm going to get rejected I'd rather hear sooner rather than later.
Original post by evantej
Interview process is quite straightforward. Group task tests team work skills and knowledge of the profession. Video task tests observation and writing skills. Presentation tests a bit of everything. I think the presentation is the best thing to excel at as two lecturers will be watching you specifically.

If Newcastle is your top choice then you could show off by saying you are aware the course is very science-y and based on problem based learning.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much for the reply! Very little information online, so good to know what they look for. Thanks again!!
Original post by JordanC55
Exactly that's why I'm finding it so weird, I might ring again on Monday.

A part of me thinks it's due to me applying quite late on that they've both decided to be quite selective. If I'm going to get rejected I'd rather hear sooner rather than later.

I don't think when you applied will matter as they have to treat every application equally. I applied on the 20th October and still haven't heard anything! When did you apply?
Let me know what they say if you decide to ring!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1103
Original post by aderyn96
Has anyone heard from Demontfort recently? I sent my application off 2nd Dec and it's definitely been 10 days now..... The only uni that said it would get back within a certain time but they're probably just very busy at the moment sorting everything out- looking for reassurance I guess! :smile:

I sent my application off and received the email from De Montfort about them getting back within 10 days. I waited around 4 weeks I think before receiving an offer for an interview. However, this was not over Christmas. It says within 10 working days, but mine was still longer than that. You might just have to wait it out a bit or you can email them.
Original post by Higlet
I don't think when you applied will matter as they have to treat every application equally. I applied on the 20th October and still haven't heard anything! When did you apply?
Let me know what they say if you decide to ring!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I will do! I applied on the 28th of December, lord knows how I'd feel if I applied when you did! It'd destroy me!

Ultimately if they've got a certain amount of places and have already given offers/interviews then there's less chances -_-

The uncertainty just destroys me, I should be chilling cause of the Strathclyde offer but I want an NHS funded course for ease of life.
Original post by tcrj
I sent my application off and received the email from De Montfort about them getting back within 10 days. I waited around 4 weeks I think before receiving an offer for an interview. However, this was not over Christmas. It says within 10 working days, but mine was still longer than that. You might just have to wait it out a bit or you can email them.

Ah okay that makes me feel better! :smile: but I think I'll email them just to make sure! when is/was your interview? :smile:
I will do! I applied on the 28th of December, lord knows how I'd feel if I applied when you did! It'd destroy me!

Ultimately if they've got a certain amount of places and have already given offers/interviews then there's less chances -_-

The uncertainty just destroys me, I should be chilling cause of the Strathclyde offer but I want an NHS funded course for ease of life.

I feel you! It is fab that it is unconditional though! I still have to get the actual A levels before I know I'm definitely on a course!
It's even more annoying because I think Leeds is my first choice. Don't get me wrong, I'm super grateful for the offers that I've got now and I would be more than happy at either two of those unis, but Leeds is a bit closer to home for me, and I really liked it when I looked round on an open day!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Higlet
I feel you! It is fab that it is unconditional though! I still have to get the actual A levels before I know I'm definitely on a course!
It's even more annoying because I think Leeds is my first choice. Don't get me wrong, I'm super grateful for the offers that I've got now and I would be more than happy at either two of those unis, but Leeds is a bit closer to home for me, and I really liked it when I looked round on an open day!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I think I'd be equally happy with DMU or Leeds at the minute, on paper if prefer Leeds simply because of it's location! What are the facilities like at Leeds? I haven't been to either of them but (hopefully) I'll get more of an insight into the place if I get an interview

Well at least you know you'll be studying it next year! And can afford to be choosy!

I just hate the waiting - it hurts :frown:
Original post by Spence_LJS
Hey - I'm actually 3rd year at Reading at the moment, but I was just trying to dig out the application questionnaire for Manchester... all I could find was this:

"Question 3: List 3 features of your own communication and explain why each is important to service users/clients that you might encounter as a speech and language therapy student."

I'm not sure why I haven't got the other questions saved... but they centred around topics like prioritisation (how can they meet the needs of increasing numbers of patients without increasing numbers of SLTs) and service delivery.

Hope this is helpful! Good luck :smile:

Thank you so much for your help!! :smile:
Original post by FizMalik
Thank you so so much, this really has helped a lot! Well done on getting an interview too, what date is yours? Mine's on the 14th

No problem :smile: mine's the 14th too so I'm currently trying to learn as much about the course and stuff as I can but I'm already nervous :')
Te amo ms. bonjor sava
Does anyone know what the DMU interview day is like?
Reply 1112
I heard from Leeds last night - interview on the 18th Feb :smile:
Did anyone hear back from BCU this week about the outcome of interviews?
Original post by djavor
Does anyone know what the DMU interview day is like?

I doubt it as this is the first year they have interviewed!x
Original post by shropshirelass51
Did anyone hear back from BCU this week about the outcome of interviews?
I'm yet to have an interview but was wondering if you could shed some light on what the actual day involves should I ever receive one!! I see you've been through the process and are hopefully about to receive a positive outcome so please share what the day entails. Thank you....!
Original post by JaaySLT
I'm yet to have an interview but was wondering if you could shed some light on what the actual day involves should I ever receive one!! I see you've been through the process and are hopefully about to receive a positive outcome so please share what the day entails. Thank you....![/QUO

The process takes the full afternoon and the staff are all very friendly and knowledgeable.

The format is a talk about the course, an opportunity to talk to current students and then the wriiten interview which asks general questions about SaLT. Can't say anything about the specifics, but don't worry it is quite informal.

Good luck.
(edited 9 years ago)
Thank you!
Original post by EmsG96
I heard from Leeds last night - interview on the 18th Feb :smile:

Congrats, when did you apply?
Reply 1119
Congrats, when did you apply?

Thanks! Sent my personal statement at the beginning of November, so quite early. I'm sure if you're waiting to hear from them they'll be in touch soon! Best of luck with your application :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest