The Student Room Group

Set theoretical proof

Let AA and BB be sets such that AB=ABA \cap B = A \cup B. Prove that A=BA=B. [6 marks]

I'm not really sure how to go about answering questions of this type, so excuse how potentially stupid my approach may look. :colondollar:

Proof: Suppose that xAx \in A and yBy \in B such that xyx \neq y. Then x(AB)x \notin (A \cap B) and y(AB)y \notin (A \cap B). We have that x(AB)x \in (A \cup B) and y(AB)y \in (A \cup B). But since AB=ABA \cap B = A \cup B, we have that x(AB)x \in (A \cap B) and y(AB)y \in (A \cap B). This then forces the condition that x=yx=y. So xAyAxByB.x \in A \equiv y \in A \equiv x \in B \equiv y \in B. So that A=BA=B.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zacken

Proof: Suppose that xAx \in A and yBy \in B such that xyx \neq y. Then x(AB)x \notin (A \cap B) and y(AB)y \notin (A \cap B).

I don't see how that (final quoted sentence) follows from your definition of x and y.
Reply 2
Original post by ghostwalker
I don't see how that (final quoted sentence) follows from your definition of x and y.

I was thinking of something along the lines of 1A1 \in A and 2B2\in B but 1(AB)1 \notin (A \cap B) and 2(AB)2 \notin (A \cap B)
Original post by Zacken
Let AA and BB be sets such that AB=ABA \cap B = A \cup B. Prove that A=BA=B. [6 marks]

I'm not really sure how to go about answering questions of this type, so excuse how potentially stupid my approach may look. :colondollar:

Proof: Suppose that xAx \in A and yBy \in B such that xyx \neq y. Then x(AB)x \notin (A \cap B) and y(AB)y \notin (A \cap B).

This doesn't seem to make sense. What stops xABx \in A \cap B? This has to be true for some elements of AA.

You need to show that:

1. xAxBx \in A \Rightarrow x \in B
2. xBxAx \in B \Rightarrow x \in A

using the fact that AB=ABA \cap B = A \cup B
Original post by Zacken
I was thinking of something along the lines of 1A1 \in A and 2B2\in B but 1(AB)1 \notin (A \cap B) and 2(AB)2 \notin (A \cap B)

Those are specific elements which wouldn't necessarily be members of general sets. There are no specific elements you can use for a general set.

atsruser's suggestion would be the way I'd do it.
Reply 5
Original post by atsruser
This doesn't seem to make sense. What stops xABx \in A \cap B? This has to be true for some elements of AA.

You need to show that:

1. xAxBx \in A \Rightarrow x \in B
2. xBxAx \in B \Rightarrow x \in A

using the fact that AB=ABA \cap B = A \cup B

I see, yeah. That was a bit of a stupid assumption on my part.

Would this be better?

Let xAx \in A, then it follow that x(AB)x \in (A \cup B), this implies that x(AB)x \in (A \cap B), so xAx\in A and xBx \in B.

Let xBx \in B, then it follow that x(AB)x \in (A \cup B), this implies that x(AB)x \in (A \cap B), so xAx\in A and xBx \in B.

Which shows that xAxBx\in A \Rightarrow x\in B and xBxAx\in B \Rightarrow x \in A.

Hence A=BA=B.
Reply 6
Original post by ghostwalker
Those are specific elements which wouldn't necessarily be members of general sets. There are no specific elements you can use for a general set.

atsruser's suggestion would be the way I'd do it.

Yeah, that was a bit of a brain fart on my part. :tongue: Thanks!
Is my revised proof better? :smile:
Original post by Zacken
I see, yeah. That was a bit of a stupid assumption on my part.

Would this be better?

Yes, that's correct.

BTW you don't need the brackets around the ABA \cap B and so on. They're distracting.
Reply 8
Original post by atsruser
Yes, that's correct.

BTW you don't need the brackets around the ABA \cap B and so on. They're distracting.

Yay! Great, thanks to you and Ghost. +Rep. :smile:

Right, brackets. Will keep in mind next time!

Quick Reply

Latest