The Student Room Group

english literature 40 mark CONTROLLED ASESSMENT!!

hh
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by rehmanator
hi guys, just wondering we recently did our 40 mark english lit controlled asessment on carol ann duffy and shakespeare. i got 31 out of 40 which i was upset about as i had worked soo hard. my english teacher is new and a very amateur marker. she marked our whole classes CA's on the same day, which is extremely bizzare. my twin sister who is in another english class with a different teacher got 38 out of 40 which is exceptional. me and my sister are both at the same level at english which made me even more distraught about my mark. by the way i wouldnt normally be bothered, but its only because this CA counts towards 25% of our gcse grade!! so my question is will it get remarked by an external aqa examiner? many thanks :biggrin:

I did AQA for my English GCSEs, and I don't think everyone's CAs got sent off. I think the exam board selects random people and their CAs get sent off for moderation. If they examiners think they are marked too harshly or too kindly then they will adjust everyone's mark in the class according to that. I would check with your teachers whether that happens, I just have a feeling :smile:
hi guys, just wondering we recently did our 40 mark english lit controlled asessment on carol ann duffy and shakespeare. i got 31 out of 40 which i was upset about as i had worked soo hard. my english teacher is new and a very amateur marker. she marked our whole classes CA's on the same day, which is extremely bizzare. my twin sister who is in another english class with a different teacher got 38 out of 40 which is exceptional. me and my sister are both at the same level at english which made me even more distraught about my mark. by the way i wouldnt normally be bothered, but its only because this CA counts towards 25% of our gcse grade!! so my question is will it get remarked by an external aqa examiner? many thanks :biggrin:

not really. our teacher told us something along the lines of only few people's CA being marked by the exam board, just to check and all. I did my CA last term and we got out marks as well as what grade that would be. So just curious, but what grade boundary did you guys get for As and A*?:smile:
Reply 3

It seems odd to mark all the CAs in the same day, especially a 40 marker, because generally teachers discuss the marks together (even more so for a new teacher). I'd say ask a different teacher to have a look through it quickly, and get their opinion. I wouldn't worry too much though, a sample get sent off so if the marking is too harsh or vice versa they can change. 31 isn't a bad score though! Hope you get it sorted soon :smile:
I only got 30 which is a B. In my school, they say the grade boundaries change depending on how well everybody did. If lots of people got A*s then they would raise the boundaries and vice versa.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not unusual for teachers to spend just one day marking a whole class worth of books, CA or coursework etc. This is usually what they do if they know how to manage their time effectively. It's easier for a a new teacher to sit down and get adjusted to one mark scheme rather than spending half their day marking your Shakespeare and Literary Heritage CA and then the rest of the day marking their Year 8 Creative Writing assessment.

Marking takes place: your classroom teacher will mark every student's CA. Then, what happens is an external moderator will ask to do some random sampling throughout the whole cohort (year group). If this happens, usually the Head of Department or Subject Leader, English will double check marking and etc to see if everything is fine. Then that will get sent off. Your teacher will have to put your marks into the department's database and then either the Head of Department or whoever might be 2nd in command will take a look at the marks and analyse it. If the Head of Department feels as though your score should have been higher or etc, they would ask certain people to redo their controlled assessment. However, with time running out, I doubt there's any time for you to do it again (if you are in year 11, which I doubt it as you'd usually do all CAs in year 10). Nothing ever gets "remarked" unless there's something bizarre with the marking. It just get looked over.

How do you know you and your sister are at the same level? Did they do the exact same Controlled Assessment? As in same play, same poems and same question as you? It depends if your sister's class had more time to prepare, read the whole play, etc etc. Is she in the same set ability as you? These are all factors you need to consider before making accusations.

If you are that worried about your CA mark, speak to your English teacher and ask her to go through it with you to see how you can improve on your general English skills.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending