The Student Room Group

Anyone else find Chemistry extremely content-heavy compared to other sciences?

I'm revising chemistry currently and I'm having a hard time dealing with all the content. With the other sciences you can mostly understand the basic concepts and get a good grade but with chemistry there are so many small details you need to know. When I first started this course from another school I was really frustrated by all the tiny things I was expected to know - the colour of methyl orange, the formula of slag, the order of the reactivity series.

It bugs me a lot, I feel that I'm a good chemist but these small details I don't always memorise can harm my mark a lot. Does anyone else notice this?
Original post by william91919
I'm revising chemistry currently and I'm having a hard time dealing with all the content. With the other sciences you can mostly understand the basic concepts and get a good grade but with chemistry there are so many small details you need to know. When I first started this course from another school I was really frustrated by all the tiny things I was expected to know - the colour of methyl orange, the formula of slag, the order of the reactivity series.

It bugs me a lot, I feel that I'm a good chemist but these small details I don't always memorise can harm my mark a lot. Does anyone else notice this?

Nope, I ususally find Biology like that.. it depends on your boarder.
Original post by ckfeister
Nope, I ususally find Biology like that.. it depends on your boarder.

I can see how. Somehow I can easily remember biology things. Maybe it's because chemistry is far less relatable - there's peristalsis happening right now in my gut but the fact that iodine is purple as a vapour means nothing to me.

Yeah, I get what you mean. With all those different colour changes for tests like water and stuff , it can get a bit confusing. Although, I think the reactivity series is given to you in the exam so that's at least one thing not to revise. :smile:

Why do you need to know the order of the reactivity series??? You get that on the chemistry data sheet during the exam. All you have to know is that metals above carbon = electrolysis and the metals below carbon = reduction by carbon. I don't think you are expected to remember the order of all the metals....
Also, I love chemistry and find physics the hardest. That's probably because there's maths involved in physics which is not particularly strong for me. In biology however there is a lot of info to take in. Well for me anyway.
Yes chemistry is a nightmare and the textbooks do nothing more than confuse me due to their disorganised layout. I hate chemistry.
i feel as if chemistry is easy then physics, i love maths but hate physics and i feel there is so much u have to learn
Original post by PinkandBlue00
Why do you need to know the order of the reactivity series??? You get that on the chemistry data sheet during the exam. All you have to know is that metals above carbon = electrolysis and the metals below carbon = reduction by carbon. I don't think you are expected to remember the order of all the metals....
Also, I love chemistry and find physics the hardest. That's probably because there's maths involved in physics which is not particularly strong for me. In biology however there is a lot of info to take in. Well for me anyway.

yh i so agree with u, i foind physics the hardest and then bio. most ppl in my school hate physics
I find chemistry the hardest and physics the easiest because i find that the physics content is actually minimal. Forces and momentum and all of the states of matter changes are quite simple you never have to revise them then all of the rest of the stuff is still mostly understanding. Biology theres loads to learn but its interesting stuff so its easy to remember then chemistry i cant relate to at all so i find it hard to understand

Physics is the worst for me. I enjoy Biology and Chemistry!:smile:
Reply 10
Yes.
There's more application as well.
Biology is a memory test, and Physics is maths without the content.

Chemistry is usually my weakest out of the three. But in my December mocks, I revised the night before for it, and I came out with an A (45/60) 2 marks off an A*.
Ever since I've enjoyed revising for it, and hope to do much better in it.
Biology has the most but Chemistry is the hardest subject, because of the maths and the application, I suppose.

Just blitzed remock: from U to A
Original post by PrincessAisha
yh i so agree with u, i foind physics the hardest and then bio. most ppl in my school hate physics

ikr! ask anyone, and they'll say that physics is such a drag. but the thing is, since i do triple science, the physics in unit 3 is so much more interesting than the content in core & additional e.g. forces(yuck). I can't wait to start the triple science modules in all three of my sciences! Then there would be a reason for why i even chose it in the first place.

Also, my physics and biology teachers just make me want to give up on life, full stop.
Congratulations! Keep aceing :smile:
Definitely, at GCSE but even more so at AS and A2.

Wht board r u doing??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest