The Student Room Group

Tax and two jobs

I have looked over the HMRC website and it is making little sense to me.

I have to work over the summer months to afford to go to uni. I'm planning on starting two jobs this year simultaneously. In total, I will not get close to the annual minimum wage. My understanding is that in light of this, I could apply for a tax refund once I finish working, and have no tax on either job, as I'm still under the £10,000 personal allowance. But some people are telling me the second job will be taxed 20%.

Is this true?

Thanks
Original post by spleenharvester

If you earn less than the tax threshold you won't pay tax, no matter how many jobs. However, the presumption the taxman makes when you start a job is that you will be earning over the tax threshold and taxes you unless told otherwise. Phone the tax office when you start the second job and they will sort it out. in my experience if you leave them to work it out themselves it will never happen.
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
If you earn less than the tax threshold you won't pay tax, no matter how many jobs. However, the presumption the taxman makes when you start a job is that you will be earning over the tax threshold and taxes you unless told otherwise. Phone the tax office when you start the second job and they will sort it out. in my experience if you leave them to work it out themselves it will never happen.

This.

If you call them you can have the tax code changed. If you don't speak to them your second job will be taxed at the emergency rate of 20%, but you will be able to get it back at the end of the tax year (or earlier if you claim it back).
Original post by threeportdrift

This

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending