Royal Bangor Academical Institution

Harrow

Hills Road

King Edwards [boys]

Gower College

my Knightley School <3

in no particular order.

Discuss

If you did/didn't attend any of these schools then you may as well work in McDonalds.

And if you went to a state comp

Spoiler

Scroll to see replies

I agree. I go to a state school and they pretty much 90% of the students here (including me) are gna end up at mcdonalds ;(
I go to a comprehensive fml :frown:
Original post by anonwinner
I agree. I go to a state school and they pretty much 90% of the students here (including me) are gna end up at mcdonalds ;(

Nothing wrong if you attend a top state imo, gl with the a levels.
I go to state school and the sixth form regularly gets about 10 people into medicine and 4 into Oxbridge. So I don't think everyone going to a state school will work in McDonald's.
State schools are really variable and some are awesome and get loads of people into Oxbridge and Medicine (and some get loads of people into McDonalds), private schools have a similar range however going to them gives students an advantage in a)the networking and b)the life skills. There are loads of statistics on the proportions of kids from private skills succeeding in various fields that back this up. Course I go to the local comprehensive full of chavs so I can hardly talk.
Original post by horsewithnoname
I go to state school and the sixth form regularly gets about 10 people into medicine and 4 into Oxbridge. So I don't think everyone going to a state school will work in McDonald's.

name of school?

Original post by Agnes_Coaker
State schools are really variable and some are awesome and get loads of people into Oxbridge and Medicine (and some get loads of people into McDonalds), private schools have a similar range however going to them gives students an advantage in a)the networking and b)the life skills. There are loads of statistics on the proportions of kids from private skills succeeding in various fields that back this up. Course I go to the local comprehensive full of chavs so I can hardly talk.

at least you know all the street lingo I suppose. Lots I have heard are really bad, private, grammar, top state push students. Whereas I get the impression that the teachers at ****ty comprehensives just want to cash their paycheck and come home at 3:05 p.m.
I go to a comprehensive, Doing 5 AS Levels and an EPQ, Predicted As for everything. But because I go to a state school I'm going to fail?
Original post by Damien_Dalgaard
name of school?

One in Bristol, you probably wouldn't know it.
Original post by horsewithnoname
One in Bristol, you probably wouldn't know it.

I sat igcses at 3A's tutor when I was younger in Bristol, but not a school ceteris paribus.

Ah the good old days of self teaching triple science :moon:
Some if the schools in your list are state schools ...

To judge a school you need to look at the progress the students make not raw results. The most selective schools should get good results ...
I attended a state school deemed inadequate by Ofsted. Whilst a lot of they people pissed around in class and didn't care, I worked day in day out. I'm now at Oxford studying Law, so not everyone ends up in McDonalds! I must say that a lot of the people formerly in my class wouldn't even get a McDonalds interview. Most are either pregnant (or were pregnant at 14), on the dole or in prison. Only a few made it to university. NGL, my old state school was awful!
Original post by DailyMailIsALiar
I attended a state school deemed inadequate by Ofsted. Whilst a lot of they people pissed around in class and didn't care, I worked day in day out. I'm now at Oxford studying Law, so not everyone ends up in McDonalds! I must say that a lot of the people formerly in my class wouldn't even get a McDonalds interview. Most are either pregnant (or were pregnant at 14), on the dole or in prison. Only a few made it to university. NGL, my old state school was awful!

Impressive, when there is a will there is a way.

My teacher echoes that a boy he taught throughout school, was bottom of the class in 5th grade and then ended up matriculating to Harvard University 7 years later.

Well done, regardless.

Don't tell my you went to B6 Brooke House!
name of school?

at least you know all the street lingo I suppose. Lots I have heard are really bad, private, grammar, top state push students. Whereas I get the impression that the teachers at ****ty comprehensives just want to cash their paycheck and come home at 3:05 p.m.

Just really quickly gotta say that some teachers at some comprehensives might (and some at my school which isn't the worst) but to be fair there are some teachers (in sixth form particularly) who care about what they do and know their subjects inside out - I just though it would be unfair to not give them a mention
Original post by Muttley79
Some if the schools in your list are state schools ...

To judge a school you need to look at the progress the students make not raw results. The most selective schools should get good results ...

Yes but they are top state schools.

Original post by Agnes_Coaker
Just really quickly gotta say that some teachers at some comprehensives might (and some at my school which isn't the worst) but to be fair there are some teachers (in sixth form particularly) who care about what they do and know their subjects inside out - I just though it would be unfair to not give them a mention

But state school comps are bad, FE colleges are good I would say.
Sorry you are wrong, there are some excellent comprehensives. Where I used to teach we got studnets to Oxbridge every year.

You seem to be confusing state schools like Colchester and Private schools (you pay fees) like Eton.

As I said you need to look at the progress students make not the League tables.
Original post by Muttley79
Sorry you are wrong, there are some excellent comprehensives. Where I used to teach we got studnets to Oxbridge every year.

You seem to be confusing state schools like Colchester and Private schools (you pay fees) like Eton.

As I said you need to look at the progress students make not the League tables.

Such as.

I meant those schools in the OP are arbitraily the best ones in UK, Colchester one is a grammar. And Eton is a public boarding school.

Comps are bad though, from talking to friends who attend comps - on average 1 person a year gets into Oxbridge.

Compare this to somewhere like Hills Road where there were 46 Oxbridge offers last year..
I go to a 600+ year old grammar school - what do you think of that; destined to fail?
Reply 18
The state school I went to was pretty bad but I left and went to a state college for A Levels, it was voted the best college in England. Now I'm at university and I'm actually proud of where I am considering the education I started in - state schools obviously aren't as good as private schools but the people who succeed work just as hard whatever their educational background

Posted from TSR Mobile
I get the impression that the teachers at ****ty comprehensives just want to cash their paycheck and come home at 3:05 p.m.

People seem to presume that because comprehensives achieve generally lower results than grammar and private schools, the teachers must be worse. When in fact:

a) On average, pupils have a lower starting point
b) Some pupils lack engagement and/or circumstances or attitudes at home may affect learning
c) Much more time has to be dedicated to getting a small but active minority of disruptive pupils to engage before productive teaching can happen
d) Higher presence of special educational needs

Therefore just getting a student to a C in one school may be an equal achievement for that teacher to another teacher in a private school getting a student straight A*s. Never judge the difficulty of even getting through a teaching day in some comprehensives until you've been there.

That's not to say that people don't also do very well at comprehensives and go on to very prosperous careers (with or without Oxbridge).

Life doesn't boil down to 'McDonalds or Oxbridge'.

Quick Reply

Latest