The Student Room Group

Investing money

Through my student placement I've managed to save a few thousand pounds and would like to know if anyone has successfully invested this amount and what methods they have used?

I already have an ISA but the interest rate is fairly low and although I'll keep my savings in this account I would like to find other ways to invest in the long term
Original post by happ
Through my student placement I've managed to save a few thousand pounds and would like to know if anyone has successfully invested this amount and what methods they have used?

I already have an ISA but the interest rate is fairly low and although I'll keep my savings in this account I would like to find other ways to invest in the long term

Safest option is iSA but as you rightly say the interest rates are very poor. Unless you are prepared to take risks and pay fees you will be hard pressed to find a decent investment.
Reply 2
Original post by happ

Most investments are considered to be long term commitments Before you consider investing you should look at other more immediate aims:

- Do you have an emergency fund
- Are you saving for a house deposit
- Are you paying into a pension
Reply 3
Given your lack of knowledge I'd stick it in a savings account.
I dont put money into an ISA because the inflation rate is usually more than the interest ISA gives you, meaing your money has lost some of its value. To make a proper investment, it really depends on how long you are willing to play the game for?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by andersonsophie_8
I dont put money into an ISA because the inflation rate is usually more than the interest ISA gives you, meaing your money has lost some of its value. To make a proper investment, it really depends on how long you are willing to play the game for?

I doubt it unless you've a properly sucky ISA
Original post by happ

A lot of people invest thousands daily, the methods vary depending on the amounts.

Is your ISA a Cash ISA? If it is, change it to a S&S ISA.

Are you pro-risk or anti-risk? If pro buy up Frontier/Emerging Market equities, index trackers etc... If anti just buy bonds or stick to an ISA.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending