The Student Room Group

Jealous of a distant friend

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
My diagnosis is neurotic depression and ocd. What the cause of it is they cant tell, theres no definite answer.

I'm sorry to hear. I find it strange that nothing has worked at all though, at all. No luck with SSRI's, right?

Regarding the OP: don't compare yourself to others, everyone has their own circumstances. You are much better off than many others, I guarantee you. Though I understand that is not much condolence as it is relative.

Set down some personal targets and try and achieve them. No worries if you don't, life is all about failing and trying over and over again. I learned that at an young age. Whatever you do, don't self medicate, as that is a very slippery road.
Original post by Dani California
This has little to do with her and a lot to do with you. If you were successful you wouldn't want to cut her off. Don't. You'll need her in the long run.
Educate yourself. Get fit. Stop focussing on other people. Tell your dad to back off. You are a grown woman and do not need a carer. You're not going to get well mentally while you feel your life is crap.
I've been through depression, and i've been suicidal, and the only things that dragged me back were music and exercise. Endorphins really do work. Good Luck. :smile:

I never said it was her fault. I just think life is unfair sometimes.
I get chest pain quite a lot so exercise can make it worse. I tried to sign up to a gym in September, they said they wouldn't train me without a doctors certificate, and if they cant train me I cant use the machines. The doctor then charged me ten pounds for a note that said it was OK for me to use the gym. I aid the money reluctantly but now im just too scared to go back. They made such a fuss about it and I cant be bothered.
Original post by hellodave5
I'm sorry to hear. I find it strange that nothing has worked at all though, at all. No luck with SSRI's, right?

Regarding the OP: don't compare yourself to others, everyone has their own circumstances. You are much better off than many others, I guarantee you. Though I understand that is not much condolence as it is relative.

Set down some personal targets and try and achieve them. No worries if you don't, life is all about failing and trying over and over again. I learned that at an young age. Whatever you do, don't self medicate, as that is a very slippery road.

No, ive been on three different kinds already.
I never said it was her fault. I just think life is unfair sometimes.
I get chest pain quite a lot so exercise can make it worse. I tried to sign up to a gym in September, they said they wouldn't train me without a doctors certificate, and if they cant train me I cant use the machines. The doctor then charged me ten pounds for a note that said it was OK for me to use the gym. I aid the money reluctantly but now im just too scared to go back. They made such a fuss about it and I cant be bothered.
L
Life can be unfair, it's a test of character how you respond to it.
Chest pain from what? And i'd advise against the gym. Take up running, somewhere quiet it you're shy. Start with walking/jogging till you build some stamina obviously. It's never not a good idea to get fit, and it's start. It's something you can do.
No, ive been on three different kinds already.

Sorry to hear.
Do you have any plans as to what you want to achieve, which will be realistic considering your current health?
This has little to do with her and a lot to do with you. If you were successful you wouldn't want to cut her off. Don't. You'll need her in the long run.
Educate yourself. Get fit. Stop focussing on other people. Tell your dad to back off. You are a grown woman and do not need a carer. You're not going to get well mentally while you feel your life is crap.
I've been through depression, and i've been suicidal, and the only things that dragged me back were music and exercise. Endorphins really do work. Good Luck. :smile:

As for my dad, believe me I tell him every day but he doesn't care, he sees me as some kind of retard.
Sorry to hear.
Do you have any plans as to what you want to achieve, which will be realistic considering your current health?

Not really. I just take every day as it comes. Thats the most I can do.
L
Life can be unfair, it's a test of character how you respond to it.
Chest pain from what? And i'd advise against the gym. Take up running, somewhere quiet it you're shy. Start with walking/jogging till you build some stamina obviously. It's never not a good idea to get fit, and it's start. It's something you can do.

Its probably anxiety related but gyms dont want to get sued.
When ive jogged I find I last about 2 minutes ha. Not realistic.
Not really. I just take every day as it comes. Thats the most I can do.

Well considering how you are currently, what are you capable of doing?
I have health anxiety and depression. Mental health services in the NHS are appalling. Im glad ive been of some comfort, it seems like everyone is having a better time than me atm.

So strange these are my main issues as well I'm a complex case so there's other stuff going on as well but everythings flared quite badly.

As for friends I've either pushed a lot away or they've given up. But the remaining ones I'm trying to keep but it's difficult.

Don't push the girl away she means well even if she can't fully understand. You really do need all the friends outside of your family you can get otherwise it can get really stuffy and you become even more unwell.
Well considering how you are currently, what are you capable of doing?

Not much. Ive signed up for a drama course for people with mental problems but its only 3 weeks. My chest is rotten so im not even sure I'll be able to go.
So strange these are my main issues as well I'm a complex case so there's other stuff going on as well but everythings flared quite badly.

As for friends I've either pushed a lot away or they've given up. But the remaining ones I'm trying to keep but it's difficult.

Don't push the girl away she means well even if she can't fully understand. You really do need all the friends outside of your family you can get otherwise it can get really stuffy and you become even more unwell.

I dont want to push her away but over the years ive discovered that you cant depend on people. So I only talk to her when she does. Ive been let down too many times by people whom I thought were my friends but didnt bother to keep in touch. So I cant afford to "need" anyone.
Not much. Ive signed up for a drama course for people with mental problems but its only 3 weeks. My chest is rotten so im not even sure I'll be able to go.

Your chest?
You're one of those people who victimises themselves. I've met numerous people at supports groups who do the same, and the only way you'll change is a kick up the arse. I've also know mentally ill people, myself included, that were determined to get better, even when they wanted to die.
Start going for walks. Jog in between if you can. In the meantime, write a CV. You don't have to accept any job offers, but it can't hurt you to get some. Pick up an instrument. Do something. Stop wallowing in self pity, and I promise things will get better.

What anonymous 2 said. Theres no need to be harsh. It wont help.
Your chest?

Chest infection. I can barely talk.
I've been through the same thing, and I wish someone had given me the same advice. Everyone is offering her sympathy, and it will only encourage the idea that she needs it.

Im glad you recovered but saying I need a kick up the arse honestly isn't helpful, and if someone had said that to you when you were unwell chances are you would have felt hurt, and your problems dismissed and misunderstood.
Read my other reply. Message me if you want some practical advice. best of luck kid.

Id rather not have your advice if youre just going to tell me to "get a grip".

Thank you for your time.
Chest infection. I can barely talk.

I mean generally when you're not ill.
What can you actually do?
You could be as lucky if you lost this crappy mental attitude.

You're sitting around feeling oh so sorry for yourself and telling everyone how you're such a lost cause. No one else can change your life for you, you've got to sort yourself out, stop welling in self pity and get yourself out into the world.

I don't want to hear any of these 'it's too hard' 'you don't understand' 'I'm too ill' excuses. You need a kick up the ass to realize that life is only what you make it, and you need to want to change it yourself.

Why are you anonymous?
People can say mighty strong words when no one knows who they are. I consider it cowardly.
I mean generally when you're not ill.
What can you actually do?

Nothing I can think of.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending