The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Architecture at MSA

Hello, I am applying for Architecture at MSA and I would like to get in touch with current students there who can tell me more about the course, staff and what they like about the school. I am an international student but I am not able to attend the Open days and I would like to know more about the university than whats on their site.. Please send me a message or answer here, thanks
Reply 1
I study at MSA. What would you like to find out about?
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by Adramelek
I study at MSA. What would you like to find out about?

Thank you for answering, here are my questions:

1. How busy are you at the university, do you go there everyday for lectures or tutorials?
2. Do you work on your projects mostly in the university? And what kind of workshops do you use, I assume they are used mostly models?
3. Are there more individual or group projects?
4. Is there any help from the university when finding a placement after the 3rd year?
5. I read that some of the staff are working architects so can you find them for consultations if you need extra help?
6. Is the assessment based mostly on projects or you have tests/exams also?
Reply 3
1. Generally each week you have a studio day, a lecture day and a day for technical skills which is only compulsory for first years. This means that you're in uni for 3 whole days and whether you go to studio to work on the other days is up to you. Architecture students are always busy (especially before portfolio deadlines). Of course you can slack off, but come review time the amount of work you've put in will show.

2. Well some choose to work in the studio (but those are closed at weekends and at 8pm on weekdays), and some choose to work at home, or in the university library, it's up to you. I will however say that as an architecture school we do not have our own desks in studio - there are only open spaces. You'll find that some other universities will provide your own desk space for you, or have 24/7 studio opening hours, which might be more preferable for you (or not), depending on your own view.

3. All units have some form of group work in them but altogether individual work have more credit/counts for more.

4. It's pretty much your own initiative. The uni will provide standard lectures on how to get a job, they'll have networking events, but you still have to network/find a job on your own since this isn't a sandwich course and the placement isn't provided by the university.

5. That really differs from tutor to tutor. Some will be more helpful, some will not. But most will be willing to help you if you drop them an email or something (your contact will mostly be confined with the tutors of your studio group and the year leader).

6. All assessments are projects. We have no tests and exams - although during my first year we had 'tech quizzes' which didn't take up any credits, they were just a requirement.
Reply 4
Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending