The Student Room Group

Boko Haram just slaughtered 2000 Africans? Where is the outrage?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ParasiteRex
Not really; there was long and lasting coverage of both the Zimmerman and Ferguson incidents. What you mean is when black people are killing it's not as big of a deal to the Western world.

If Ebola had struck in a Western country the response would have been huge and immediate. It was only after people started coming back to the West infected that governments started acting, otherwise they couldn't have given a flying ****.
Original post by Xenorebrem
But then why is the Paris shooting overshadowing this more horrific tragedy. I mean 2000!!!!!.

This was an attack on our doorstep. An attack on our freedom of expression and an attack on our freedom of press. It was an attack on the very cornerstones of our society. Of course we are going to talk about it at length.

These freedoms which have been attacked are what 40+ million died for during World War 2. Our ancestors died so that we could have the ability to continue to express ourselves.

We still care about the attacks abroad, we just don't care as much.
Reply 62
Original post by Guybrush Sheepgood
If Ebola had struck in a Western country the response would have been huge and immediate. It was only after people started coming back to the West infected that governments started acting, otherwise they couldn't have given a flying ****.
And those infected people were...?

Western doctors and nurses who were out there helping.
Reply 63
Original post by Clip
I am no longer surprised by the abject and blatant stupidity of the things I read on TSR.

This is just society in general though.
Reply 64
Another country, another slaughter by Muslims

It's become such a regular event, it's hard to report on it all in detail.

Some days when I look at the front pages of news sites, there are about 5 or 6 headline all to do with Muslim violence.
I think it's an apathy bred out of impotence. The French state can respond but no one knows what to do about a low level civil war in Nigeria.
Reply 66
No, no. The bad guy in all this is the Western media. Has to be.
Original post by DiddyDec
This was an attack on our doorstep. An attack on our freedom of expression and an attack on our freedom of press. It was an attack on the very cornerstones of our society. Of course we are going to talk about it at length.

These freedoms which have been attacked are what 40+ million died for during World War 2. Our ancestors died so that we could have the ability to continue to express ourselves.

We still care about the attacks abroad, we just don't care as much.

This freedom nonsense
We only have a limited view of freedom.
How often does the mainstream press elavate and expose the true goings on in society?
Its all filtered nonsense.
The media capitalises on misery,death and destruction.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Blue_Mason

This freedom nonsense
We only have a limited view of freedom.
How often does the mainstream press elavate and expose the true goings on in society?
Its all filtered nonsense.
The media capitalises on misery,death and destruction.

We do have some freedom within the confines of the law. It is not perfect freedom because perfect freedom does not work.

Happy stories don't sell. People want to be outraged that is why they read stuff like the Daily Mail.
Couple of things worth noting:

Geographically, ideologically, politically, economically, France is closer to us.

At the risk of sounding cold, it's the unexpected nature of the Paris attacks that evoke such interest.

The story of the Paris attacks is also a much more pleasant one to follow: there is a shooting in the city, the persecutors are hunted down by the full force of a nation's police, they no longer pose a threat. But investing in Nigerian stories has so far only led to sadness at the apparent inaction, and as a society, like rats in a lab, we're going to stop pressing the button that hurts us.

As for Nigeria itself, it looks like a lot of the problems its having are perhaps related to the abject poverty of large swathes of its population. When people are really scraping the barrel to live, I imagine they become much more open to alternatives.
So I guess African lives aren't worth much then?

The internet virtually blew up when news of the 12 Frenchmen was released...

:hmmm:

"Suleiman Dauda, 12, said he ran into the bushes with neighbours when extremists attacked his village, Askira Uba, near Yola last year.

“I saw them kill my father, they slaughtered him like a ram. And up until now I don’t know where my mother is,” he told the Associated Press at Daware refugee camp in Yola."

From the Guardian.

Edit:

Some of the responses to the thread have made me realise that I have spoken too soon.
I do not have an agenda.
I was simply frustrated by the double standard and only wanted to see what other people's views are. I do hope that careful action is taken to wipe the name Boko Haram off the face of our planet.

Look if it's there anything happening on global scale, then white people are behind it.

Boko Harem ?

Now they are very shrewd. They play both sides.

They put up some people to do a kidnapping and then they put up some people to say “Let’s go get em !!”

This is to cause confusion but it’s only black people who are gonna get hurt, on both sides. They give Boko all the arms and money and ability that it takes to disappear with the whole world looking for them now ? And they can not find them ? Now that should cause suspicion, right there

This is a white man who can locate freaking star 25 million light years away !!

But they can’t find these fellas ? And these black Africans are meant to be backward and stupid according to white supremacist logic.

Right ?

Get out my face.

But these Boko Harem bogey men have appeared from no-where with their AK-47s, armoured vehicles, which need all kinds of maintenance, shiny boots and they have just vanished into thin air

So then the white men says “Let’s saddle up and go get these guys” because they love the chase, now they'll find these girls dead

I mean - Are they dead ? What happened ? How did this conclude ?

but let's just say that these girls are dead, that’s just to incite more anger, then the white people say “OK, well we gotta stay in this area now because we got wipe these evil Boko Haram people out, we gotta hang around”

Now that hanging around has a purpose because since when have white people, especially white supremacists been bothered about black vaginas or black wombs ?

But all of a sudden all of these crocodile tears, comes from the white supremacists ?

I don’t think so

White people make long range plans, 5 year plans, 10 year plans, 100 year plans
Original post by Observatory
I think it's an apathy bred out of impotence. The French state can respond but no one knows what to do about a low level civil war in Nigeria.

The French government is damned if it does and damned if it doesn't. But let's keep it real: France only intervenes in Françafrique.

The situation requires an international response because the Boko Haram fighters are better equipped and considerably more motivated than their Nigerian counterparts, who fled the scene, and their Nigerien and Chadian counterparts, who've taken a step back from conflict believing wrongly that Boko Haram won't come after them in the future.

The violence, however disgusting and morally unjustifiable, is, to a certain extent, the reflection of the endemic corruption and staggering disparity of wealth in Nigeria (hence why Boko Haram went from a bunch of nobodies to a group with an estimated 10,000 fighters).
Original post by Calpurnia
Couple of things worth noting:

Geographically, ideologically, politically, economically, France is closer to us.

At the risk of sounding cold, it's the unexpected nature of the Paris attacks that evoke such interest.

The story of the Paris attacks is also a much more pleasant one to follow: there is a shooting in the city, the persecutors are hunted down by the full force of a nation's police, they no longer pose a threat. But investing in Nigerian stories has so far only led to sadness at the apparent inaction, and as a society, like rats in a lab, we're going to stop pressing the button that hurts us.

As for Nigeria itself, it looks like a lot of the problems its having are perhaps related to the abject poverty of large swathes of its population. When people are really scraping the barrel to live, I imagine they become much more open to alternatives.

You're right on both points.

I'd like to add that the chances of Boko Haram, ISIS, et cetera, butchering 2,000 people in say, Bolton are zero, whereas the chances of a few men/women holding people hostage in London, or blowing up a building are considerably greater.
Original post by CarlNorthWest
Look if it's there anything happening on global scale, then white people are behind it.

Boko Harem ?

Now they are very shrewd. They play both sides.

They put up some people to do a kidnapping and then they put up some people to say “Let’s go get em !!”

This is to cause confusion but it’s only black people who are gonna get hurt, on both sides. They give Boko all the arms and money and ability that it takes to disappear with the whole world looking for them now ? And they can not find them ? Now that should cause suspicion, right there

This is a white man who can locate freaking star 25 million light years away !!

But they can’t find these fellas ? And these black Africans are meant to be backward and stupid according to white supremacist logic.

Right ?

Get out my face.

But these Boko Harem bogey men have appeared from no-where with their AK-47s, armoured vehicles, which need all kinds of maintenance, shiny boots and they have just vanished into thin air

So then the white men says “Let’s saddle up and go get these guys” because they love the chase, now they'll find these girls dead

I mean - Are they dead ? What happened ? How did this conclude ?

but let's just say that these girls are dead, that’s just to incite more anger, then the white people say “OK, well we gotta stay in this area now because we got wipe these evil Boko Haram people out, we gotta hang around”

Now that hanging around has a purpose because since when have white people, especially white supremacists been bothered about black vaginas or black wombs ?

But all of a sudden all of these crocodile tears, comes from the white supremacists ?

I don’t think so

White people make long range plans, 5 year plans, 10 year plans, 100 year plans

The vast majority of the girls are still missing and believed to be either sold into marriage or used as sex slaves in Boko Haram's camps outside of Nigeria.
Original post by Stalin
The French government is damned if it does and damned if it doesn't. But let's keep it real: France only intervenes in Françafrique.

The situation requires an international response because the Boko Haram fighters are better equipped and considerably more motivated than their Nigerian counterparts, who fled the scene, and their Nigerien and Chadian counterparts, who've taken a step back from conflict believing wrongly that Boko Haram won't come after them in the future.

The violence, however disgusting and morally unjustifiable, is, to a certain extent, the reflection of the endemic corruption and staggering disparity of wealth in Nigeria (hence why Boko Haram went from a bunch of nobodies to a group with an estimated 10,000 fighters).

I'm not suggesting that France specifically would act about Nigeria.

I am not sure that Britain (the obvious candidate) wants to fight a jungle war in the north of Nigeria, assuming the Nigerians would want it to; any other offer of help is token at best.

On the other hand that could be the long term best foreign policy objective Britain could set herself today, given that in 2100 Nigeria is expected to contain about a billion people. It's possible that much will hang on what proportion of those are muslims.
So I guess African lives aren't worth much then?

The internet virtually blew up when news of the 12 Frenchmen was released...

:hmmm:

"Suleiman Dauda, 12, said he ran into the bushes with neighbours when extremists attacked his village, Askira Uba, near Yola last year.

“I saw them kill my father, they slaughtered him like a ram. And up until now I don’t know where my mother is,” he told the Associated Press at Daware refugee camp in Yola."

From the Guardian.

Edit:

Some of the responses to the thread have made me realise that I have spoken too soon.
I do not have an agenda.
I was simply frustrated by the double standard and only wanted to see what other people's views are. I do hope that careful action is taken to wipe the name Boko Haram off the face of our planet.

i think the outrage at the paris attackers relates to islamist scum bags and applies in equal measure to boko haram, al shabab, taliban and all the others. the problem is not racially focussed, the common factor is the ideology driving all these incidents
As an (ex) Muslim I can say I am disgusted by this and the other barbaric acts carried out by these deformed extremists.
Reply 77
Original post by Kolasinac138
As an (ex) Muslim I can say I am disgusted by this and the other barbaric acts carried out by these deformed extremists.
At the risk of sounding patronising:

Yes, you can and it is very welcome and reassuring to hear. Thank you.
Original post by Observatory
I'm not suggesting that France specifically would act about Nigeria.

I am not sure that Britain (the obvious candidate) wants to fight a jungle war in the north of Nigeria, assuming the Nigerians would want it to; any other offer of help is token at best.

I don't see why the UK is the obvious candidate simply because of its colonial past; there isn't much it can do to stop Boko Haram. If anyone can help it's the United States.

On the other hand that could be the long term best foreign policy objective Britain could set herself today, given that in 2100 Nigeria is expected to contain about a billion people. It's possible that much will hang on what proportion of those are muslims.

I completely agree, alas the UK cannot project enough power to prevent the Islamists from butchering entire villages.
Original post by Stalin
I don't see why the UK is the obvious candidate simply because of its colonial past; there isn't much it can do to stop Boko Haram. If anyone can help it's the United States.

Boko Haram, like Islamic State, can't be destroyed or even stopped by bombing and drones. It can only be destroyed by fighting a light infantry war, perhaps for decades. The UK is both capable of this and - precisely because of its colonial past - more likely than the United States to feel obliged to see it through.

But of course even the UK doesn't even want to contemplate that which I proposed is why not much detailed analysis is given of what could be done to help Nigeria.

I completely agree, alas the UK cannot project enough power to prevent the Islamists from butchering entire villages.

The UK could easily deploy 50,000 light infantry to Nigeria that would win, with few casualties, any engagement with the Islamic militia in which they are involved. But no one wants to pay the (small) price in either blood or treasure.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending